Thoughts on 9th pick

1 hour ago, happyrid said:

In short, you don't have to think a guy is going to be an All Pro to take him in the top 10 at a position like WR. 

well it certainly doesn't hurt.

combine is gonna be HUGE for a guy like Mike Williams, if he can put to rest questions about speed and athleticism he'll get himself up there for sure....if not, teams aren't gonna pick him that high just because he's a WR that can make a tough catch....there's definitely a certain criteria you're looking for in the top 10 that you might not be so stringent about if you're picking a little later in the first. 

to be honest I hope I'm way off- base and all the WR's prove me wrong and about 3 of them get up there in the top 10 because the more premium prospects we have to choose from, the better off we are. 

22 hours ago, spicoli said:

Mike Williams will NOT be a top 10 pick when all is said and done...believe it. 

the guy everybody should be focusing on if you're really convinced the Bengals need another top of the draft-type WR is Corey Davis....he'll end up being the first WR taken IMO, but I'll be pretty surprised if it's in the top 10....if it is, it'll likely be by us at 9....a guy like Zay Jones though in R2 or 3 is probably a more likely scenario. 

I like Zay Jones, the fact that he's Jeff Blake nephew makes me think that he's destined to be a Bengal. 

fo sho

Just a question.... Say he does run a 4.48-4.50 40 how would that change your opinion? Also I am of the opinion that aside from wr there isn't gonna be a game breaking player at 9 and we should trade down... Also I just read an article that Palmer and Fitzgerald are seriously considering retirement Palmer said"body is broken down and tired" and Fitzgerald would be highly motivated to retire if Palmer doesn't come back.... With all that if we could get a huge haul since I think cardinals are in win now mode... Ala they trade up we go down to 13 and get their second and third rounder if they really want williams/davis/watson? That would give us potentially 3 second rounder and 3 third rounders...

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

8 hours ago, Jpoore said:

Just a question.... Say he does run a 4.48-4.50 40 how would that change your opinion?

not sure, I'd have to see his short shuttle times and vert/broad jump #'s as well but just based on watching him run routes I still wouldn't take him in the top 10.....if we could trade back into the 15-20 range and pick up another selection in the mid rounds I might think hard about taking one of him or Davis but Davis would likely be my preference regardless of what Williams does at the combine.....another guy to consider in a trade down scenario would be OJ Howard, he'll likely have as big of an impact in the passing game as either of the WR's mentioned and lord knows we can't count on Eifert for a full season.

as it is, I'm sticking with defense at #9, likely one of Foster, Takkarist McKinley or one of corners....I'd really love to have one of Hooker/Adams, I just don't think they'll still be around unless we can get about 3 QB's up into the top 10.

Combine numbers don't really change much for a prospect. Tape is really all that matters. 

Now if a guy shows up and bombs then yeah that affects him because his work ethic comes into question.

If a guy comes in and blows it out of the water it makes scouts rewatch his tape to see if there is something they missed.

1 hour ago, akiliMVP said:

Combine numbers don't really change much for a prospect. Tape is really all that matters. 

This.

There are a few exceptions (Julio Jones made a lot of money at the combine), but if the combine numbers don't match the production all that means is that teams go back and watch more film to re-evaluate a player.  Film is what is most important.  It doesn't matter if a guy can run a drill a few tenths of second quicker if he is a few tenths slower at analyzing and reacting on the field. 

1 hour ago, akiliMVP said:

Now if a guy shows up and bombs then yeah that affects him because his work ethic comes into question.

If a guy comes in and blows it out of the water it makes scouts rewatch his tape to see if there is something they missed.

That is always said, but every year it seems there are guys who shoot up the board at the combine

the combine matters for the guys that are trying to push themselves up into the top of the draft..... if the tapes are pretty equal, a 4.4 forty vs a 4.6 forty for example could be the difference between a guy being a top 10 pick vs being, say, a top 25 pick.

if the combine didn't matter, they wouldn't have it. 

not sure, I'd have to see his short shuttle times and vert/broad jump #'s as well but just based on watching him run routes I still wouldn't take him in the top 10.....if we could trade back into the 15-20 range and pick up another selection in the mid rounds I might think hard about taking one of him or Davis but Davis would likely be my preference regardless of what Williams does at the combine.....another guy to consider in a trade down scenario would be OJ Howard, he'll likely have as big of an impact in the passing game as either of the WR's mentioned and lord knows we can't count on Eifert for a full season.
as it is, I'm sticking with defense at #9, likely one of Foster, Takkarist McKinley or one of corners....I'd really love to have one of Hooker/Adams, I just don't think they'll still be around unless we can get about 3 QB's up into the top 10.

As far as te I know we aren't taking one on the first but I'm hoping that butt falls to the third and we take him there

9 hours ago, Hooky said:

What kickers will still be there at 9?

I know you jest, but...

Supposedly this fellow from AZ State, Zane Gonzalez, is the cat's ass in terms of kicking talents. He tied the record for most FG's at the Senior Bowl, and also led the entire NCAA in points and FG's. He is seriously being considered in the early 4th Round. 

With all deference to the newly-signed Fat Randy--who has already blown a game-winning FG--an early 4th such as ours, may be a bargain.

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I know you jest, but...

Supposedly this fellow from AZ State, Zane Gonzalez, is the cat's ass in terms of kicking talents. He tied the record for most FG's at the Senior Bowl, and also led the entire NCAA in points and FG's. He is seriously being considered in the early 4th Round. 

With all deference to the newly-signed Fat Randy--who has already blown a game-winning FG--an early 4th such as ours, may be a bargain.

Yes. Lamely satiring the kicker panic.

I know you jest, but...

Also had a long of 59 yards this year.

26 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Why do people want us to take a TE?

Efiert, and Uzomuh IMO are a great 1-2 tandem. Am I missing something? I like Kroft as well.

TEs get hurt...i.e. Eifert and Uzzi.  Adding Howard to the mix gives us 2 of the better TEs in the league.  That would potentially help our running game as Howard is a really good blocker, and both are threats in the passing game.  I wouldn't love the pick, but I would understand it.  

My wishlist at 9, in order:

Foster

S. Thomas

D. Cook

Hooker

Howard

Fournette

A couple of draft questions.  First, what is the maximum number of draft picks one team an have in a draft?  I think it's 11, but may be 12 (couldn't find it by Googling for some reason).  Second, does the number have to be 11 or 12 by the start of the draft or can they go in with more and use the excess to wheel and deal during the proceedings?  Example:  With Comps for SugarTits, Nelson, Jones & Sanu plus their 7 regular picks they stand at 11 total.  If they were to decide to take an offer of say, a third and a fifth for McCarron would they have to deal the overage before the draft or could they go in with thirteen and use the excess pick(s) to move up a time or two after it starts?  Just a hypothetical, I don't expect McCarron to go anywhere.

My wish list for 9:

1. DE Myles Garrett, Texas A&M

2. DT Jonathan Allen, Alabama

3. DE Solomon Thomas, Stanford

4. RB Leonard Fournette, LSU

5. LB Reuben Foster, Alabama

6. DE Taco Charlton, Michigan

I like both of the top safeties but I dont see safety being picked here with both starters locked up for 2-3 more years.

Archived