What if Bengals listened to ESPN's Mel Kiper and Todd McShay for last 7 Drafts?

Our draft position and team needs would obviously both change if we had different players on the team than what happened in reality.

I understand articles like this are more on the "just for fun" side of things, but IMO it doesn't even interest me in that regard because of how much would drastically change just by taking Dez over Gresh when we had the huge hole at TE. Not only would it change future drafts, but it would also change who else was taken in the later rounds of those same draft years.

7 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Our draft position and team needs would obviously both change if we had different players on the team than what happened in reality.

I understand articles like this are more on the "just for fun" side of things, but IMO it doesn't even interest me in that regard because of how much would drastically change just by taking Dez over Gresh when we had the huge hole at TE. Not only would it change future drafts, but it would also change who else was taken in the later rounds of those same draft years.

Not only did we have a huge hole at TE, but Dez Bryant had/has a big character cloud that hangs over him.  Something the Bengals definitely didn't need.

This is silly when it involves projecting the Bengals taking guys who were not even on the board.If they somehow could determine who we would have taken based on who was available when we picked then it might makes some sense, but this is just a waste of time.

7 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

This is silly when it involves projecting the Bengals taking guys who were not even on the board.If they somehow could determine who we would have taken based on who was available when we picked then it might makes some sense, but this is just a waste of time.

Even if they only chose players available at the time I still don't think it would be worth the time to try to make sense of it.

If we take Dez over Gresh, we probably need another TE in the 2nd/3rd, which could mean no Dunlap. If we don't take Dunlap in the 2nd, our defensive line looks completely different for years to come. Just the very first change of Dez over Gresh alters the entire landscape of the team and we'd probably have 90%+ starters being different players than the Bengals we see now in 2016/2017.

What if taking Dez + 8 different players in the later rounds in the 2010 draft makes us win 2 extra games? Lose 2 extra games? Who knows. It changes everything.

Hell, I don't even know why I'm spending 5 minutes thinking about this. Like you said, waste of time.

Archived