Would you watch this?

NFL coaches and others are complaining that the lack of off-season organized team practices are hurting the level of play. When they negotiated this in the last CBA the players got less practice in exchange for a little smaller share of the total revenue. But I have an idea that could generate revenue from off season practices.

My idea is that during the off season the NFL should have weekends where all four teams from each Division get together in one city for a round robin 7-on-7 passing league.  That would be 2 games a day for Fri through Sunday. The NFL Network would love it because they run out of crap to show in the off season.  And they could spread it out over 4 weekends with 2 divisions each weekend.

When June rolls around and free agency and the draft are over NFL fans get desperate.  I have seen many fans drooling over the smallest scrap of information from OTAs  or minincamps.  I think a lot of fans would love this passing league. Make tickets really cheap so that all the fans who can't afford a regular season game would be able to see the inside of PBS.  And since it would only come to each NFL city once every 4 years it would not get old.

No. What I would watch would be this. What if they had 2 drafts. 1 was the first 3 rounds in lets say April 1st. Then they take the rest of the pool and have 7 on 7 league with developmental coaches to coach them up and games played on the weekend for a month. Then rounds 4-7 may 15th. 

I am not claiming to be a big fan of 7-on-7 passing leagues, but it would be a thousand times better than watching videos of some guys running through tackling dummies.

Plus the extra practice may improve the level of play in the regular season.

On 1/31/2017 at 11:03 AM, fredtoast said:

NFL coaches and others are complaining that the lack of off-season organized team practices are hurting the level of play. When they negotiated this in the last CBA the players got less practice in exchange for a little smaller share of the total revenue. But I have an idea that could generate revenue from off season practices.

My idea is that during the off season the NFL should have weekends where all four teams from each Division get together in one city for a round robin 7-on-7 passing league.  That would be 2 games a day for Fri through Sunday. The NFL Network would love it because they run out of crap to show in the off season.  And they could spread it out over 4 weekends with 2 divisions each weekend.

When June rolls around and free agency and the draft are over NFL fans get desperate.  I have seen many fans drooling over the smallest scrap of information from OTAs  or minincamps.  I think a lot of fans would love this passing league. Make tickets really cheap so that all the fans who can't afford a regular season game would be able to see the inside of PBS.  And since it would only come to each NFL city once every 4 years it would not get old.

Good idea, although I would do it against teams outside of the Division.  Almost every high school does it.

Archived