Offseason Needs S

On 2/5/2017 at 5:33 PM, Jason said:

Yeah, both are locked up for the next 2 or 3 years.  And by the end of the year they were playing better as a tandem.  

As much as I would like to add Malik Hooker, 1, I don't think he makes it to them, and 2 I'm not convinced they would take him (or Adams) at 9 if he did (I don't think they value the position enough to take a safety at 9 no matter how good he is).  I could see them drafting a backup safety sometime on Saturday but I don't see them taking one before that unless someone too good to pass up falls to round 3.

Would love to see Malik on the Bengals, he's from my hometown.  

New Castle High School has been churning out some talent lately.  My little cousin through marriage, Geno Stone, is headed to Iowa to play safety as well.  Probably will redshirt this year, but he is someone who i think will make some noise in a couple of years, at the college level anyway. 

14 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

New Castle High School has been churning out some talent lately.  My little cousin through marriage, Geno Stone, is headed to Iowa to play safety as well.  Probably will redshirt this year, but he is someone who i think will make some noise in a couple of years, at the college level anyway. 

Is he a Stealers fan?

12 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Wow, this is really random, but that's where I'm from as well. My brother in law went to school with Malik and my wife graduated from NC 10 or so years ago.

I'd love to start seeing Bengals jerseys everywhere since you know Hooker's jersey would fly off the shelves around here since he's local talent.

I like Williams. Don't understand why so many seem to think he sucks.

Safety is way down the list of needs IMO.

It's possible that Hooker or Adams are just so highly graded that they feel like they have to take them as BPA, but otherwise, I don't think Safety is a need or draft target at all. 

1 hour ago, happyrid said:

It's possible that Hooker or Adams are just so highly graded that they feel like they have to take them as BPA, but otherwise, I don't think Safety is a need or draft target at all. 

He struggled in coverage early on and was the culprit in many of the long plays they gave up. I think much of that was communication related though, and I'd give them one more year together before giving up (or bulking him up a little to be a nickel LB).

He struggled in coverage early on and was the culprit in many of the long plays they gave up. I think much of that was communication related though, and I'd give them one more year together before giving up (or bulking him up a little to be a nickel LB).

This is what I've been saying. He deserves another year to prove he can be a fs. Although a lot of those big plays were dennard as well especially against Pittsburg.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Safety? This is literally the only position that wasn't a concern this year. Every single other position is in a lot worse of a situation.

Shawn Williams played really well. Iloka is solid but didn't have as good of a year as I think everyone was hoping he would advance to this year. Derron Smith showed that he has a shot to be a good NFL safety and even Clayton Fedjelem (sp?) played ok in his few snaps. I like all 4 safeties we have and then Shaw is that swing player and gives them a pretty strong 5th safety. 

And if we actually upgrade our DL at all the safeties will be show to be even better because we will actually provide a rush for our secondary. Our DL really screwed our CBs and Safeties this year, plus Pacman played like total shit and was constantly screwing up the scheme too.

On 2/10/2017 at 1:28 PM, happyrid said:

Williams was fantastic this year. He was getting praised by other players, teammates, other teams media ppl and the coaches. This is the first I've seen anything negative about his play. He out played Iloka big time this year. I can't imagine safety even being weighed on our draft board unless later in draft cuz a guy falls.  Hooker tackles as bad as Ohalete so I can't see them even considering him as he would get murdered in the AFCN.

On 2/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Jason said:

"His struggles" early in the season were a result of Pacman and Iloka miscommunications. Partially why around midseason Shawn took over some of the defensive coverage calls instead of Iloka continuing to make them. 

Williams was fantastic this year. He was getting praised by other players, teammates, other teams media ppl and the coaches. This is the first I've seen anything negative about his play. He out played Iloka big time this year. I can't imagine safety even being weighed on our draft board unless later in draft cuz a guy falls.  Hooker tackles as bad as Ohalete so I can't see them even considering him as he would get murdered in the AFCN.

Are you serious? Go watch game fillm of Williams. Especially first 6 games. He looked lost. He caught on as the year went on but Iloka outplayed him by a mile.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:13 PM, MichaelWeston said:

As far as I can tell ignoring the guys that may return in free agency I see our needs as: 2nd WR, LT, C, RG, RT, K, LDT, RDE, SLB, MLB, S, CB, CB, Backup QB, RB Depth.

So roughly 70% of the starting team? Check. Don't disagree necessarily but very telling.

New HC would go a long way.

23 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

"His struggles" early in the season were a result of Pacman and Iloka miscommunications. Partially why around midseason Shawn took over some of the defensive coverage calls instead of Iloka continuing to make them. 

Miscommunications, esp multiple ones = not prepared for the game.  One of several epic fails of the Marvengals that go right back to His Mediocreness.

Can't get it out of my head how the Bengals mull around like a heard of cats and the Patriots in the Super Bowl were a well oiled machine  with everyone knowing exactly where to go and what to do.  Pa-f'n-thetic.

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Miscommunications, esp multiple ones = not prepared for the game.  One of several epic fails of the Marvengals that go right back to His Mediocreness.

Can't get it out of my head how the Bengals mull around like a heard of cats and the Patriots in the Super Bowl were a well oiled machine  with everyone knowing exactly where to go and what to do.  Pa-f'n-thetic.

With as much Knob Slobbin' that you give #allthingspatriots, why aren't you a fan of them?  You'd be Happier, and I'm sure a lot of us would be, too!

On 2/12/2017 at 5:53 PM, High School Harry said:

Marvin doesn't coach the defense but when they do well then the DC gets credit and when they do bad the HC gets the blame. When Zimmer was here the D had communication issues which led to big plays and no one bashed it then and everyone here randomly thinks Zimmer is Jesus.

Interesting that once Shawn Williams took over the calls from Iloka the communication issues disappeared. Minus a few plays that Pacman decided to freelance most likely because he was drunk.

On 2/13/2017 at 0:03 AM, MichaelWeston said:

Williams was certainly below average this year. This is nuts. 

Said no one covering the NFL or Bengals anywhere except here and twitter.

Archived