Bengals linebacker officially retires at age 24

Saturday, February 11th 2017, 11:28 am ESTSaturday, February 11th 2017, 11:28 am ESTPosted by FOX19 Digital Media Staff

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -

At the age of 24, a Bengals linebacker has officially retired.

The team made the announcement Friday that Trevor Roach is now on the reserve/retired list.

His NFL career consisted of two seasons, five games and one post-season tackle.

“Once I realized I didn’t love football like I used to, it wasn’t worth going forward,” Roach said. “The money’s good, but that’s not why I got into it. When I started showing up and it felt like work, that’s when I knew it was time.”

Roach was an undrafted free agent out of Nebraska. He spent his rookie season on the practice squad before being signed for the 2015 Wild Card Game. 

“I thought we had a chance to win it all, so I came back this year,” Roach said. “I talked to my mentor and I told him, ‘I’m going to play again and try to come home with a ring.’ And he told me, ‘You already have the most important ring.’ My wedding ring.”

His wife is a nurse at Children's Hospital in Omaha. Roach says he hopes to find a job in corporate finance.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

"When I started showing up and it felt like work, that’s when I knew it was time.”

:read:

Roach says he hopes to find a job in corporate finance.

:grin-min: 

Ah yes, the fun-filled, carefree world of corporate finance.  I'm sure being paid almost half a mil per to exercise will pale in comparison.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

:read:

:grin-min: 

Ah yes, the fun-filled, carefree world of corporate finance.  I'm sure being paid almost half a mil per to exercise will pale in comparison.

I was thinking the same thing. He quit a job that felt too much like work. Unlike a corporate finance job.

14 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I was thinking the same thing. He quit a job that felt too much like work. Unlike a corporate finance job.

IKR.  Don't you just hate it when you show up for work and it feels like work? My job can be cool at times but most days I'd still rather fuck off and go fishing, all things being equal. 

I will cut the guy some slack on account of being 24 and likely a coddled college athlete, and of course it's his life and all.  But I have to think young Mr. Roach is in for a serious reality check.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

IKR.  Don't you just hate it when you show up for work and it feels like work? My job can be cool at times but most days I'd still rather fuck off and go fishing, all things being equal. 

I will cut the guy some slack on account of being 24 and likely a coddled college athlete, and of course it's his life and all.  But I have to think young Mr. Roach is in for a serious reality check.

He will be back, once he realizes what type of money he will be making as a guy with no experience. I'm sure he has some connections in the industry but he's in a rude awakening. I'll give him two years before he's trying to get back into the NFL where he can make half a million easy. 

7 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

He will be back, once he realizes what type of money he will be making as a guy with no experience. I'm sure he has some connections in the industry but he's in a rude awakening. I'll give him two years before he's trying to get back into the NFL where he can make half a million easy. 

My BIL was going into that field and ended up taking a different sort of finance job.  Said it's insanely competitive (even though he's got a great CV) and you're expected to spend your first couple of years (at least) working like a mule for relative peanuts in order to prove your loyalty.

Just now, T-Dub said:

My BIL was going into that field and ended up taking a different sort of finance job.  Said it's insanely competitive (even though he's got a great CV) and you're expected to spend your first couple of years at least working like a mule for relative peanuts in order to prove your loyalty.

Yes, I worked in that industry for a few years and yes it is all of that and more. Yes, you can make big money but only after years of putting yourself through the grinder and backstabbing others, it's a dirty game. 

Like you said, I'm not sure why he would leave the NFL to go work in corporate america unless he has a connection that will give him a sweet hookup he's going to be in for a rude awakening. 

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

IMHO, the only thing that would feel less like work than playing a professional sport would be retirement.

8 minutes ago, Hooky said:

IMHO, the only thing that would feel less like work than playing a professional sport would be retirement.

Eh, it takes a serious toll on the body, even if they avoid the concussions.  Also requires a very high level of discipline for long-term success - something in short supply with your typical 20-something that isnt getting paid half a mil just for making a team.

I was a big Earl Campbell fan as a kid & saw how the game wrecked his health.  Not sure I'd really want to trade places with these guys, TBH.

In the short term, though, definitely more fun than corporate finance.

He will regret this at some point. It sounds as if he was on the bubble, lucky to get in the NFL, and won't likely be afforded a second chance.

Corporate finance, translation copier sales, will still be there after he completes a 3 or 4 year career. Young and naive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived