Roster Bonuses

Gio - $1.2 mil roster bonus, $200k workout bonus, $2.25 mil dead money

Vinnie Rey - $700k roster bonus, $300k workout bonus, no dead money

Adam "don't call me Pacman" Jones - $500k roster bonus, $200k workout bonus, $1.333 mil dead money

Iloka - $500k roster, $300k workout, $2.4 mil dead money

Dennard - $420k roster, $100k workout, $1.03 mil dead money

Shawn Williams - $234,375 roster, $300k workout, $1.6 mil dead money

Maualuga - $218,750 roster, $300k workout, no dead money

MJ93 - $200k roster, $250k workout, $2.25 mil dead money

Boling - $200k roster, $200k workout, $1.5 mil dead money

Hewitt - $100k roster, $100k workout, $1.125 mil dead money

41 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Gio - $1.2 mil roster bonus, $200k workout bonus, $2.25 mil dead money

That's rough after the latest injury.  I like Gio, I hope he comes back the same player, and I guess they can't cut him anyway if he's rehabbing an injury?  Still a lot of money to spend on good intentions.

Vinnie Rey - $700k roster bonus, $300k workout bonus, no dead money

Adam "don't call me Pacman" Jones - $500k roster bonus, $200k workout bonus, $1.333 mil dead money

Later to both. Those unpaid bonuses would cover Spitman's dead money with some change left over to, IDK, stock up on Gatorade or something.

30 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That's rough after the latest injury.  I like Gio, I hope he comes back the same player, and I guess they can't cut him anyway if he's rehabbing an injury?  Still a lot of money to spend on good intentions.

Later to both. Those unpaid bonuses would cover Spitman's dead money with some change left over to, IDK, stock up on Gatorade or something.

Vincent Rey isn't great by any means, but our LB corp is dog shit right now. Given that he's been in the system so long and is a decent backup, I think he sticks around for sure.

I've defended Jones a lot in his career, mainly due to the high level he was playing at for a few straight seasons. This last arrest + him making $7+ million in 2017 + the 2016 decline makes me agree with you on him being sent packing.

Cut Pacman, give Dre a nice starting contract, and bring in an outside FA (oh noooooo!) CB that's somewhere in the $5 mil/yr ballpark on a short deal while we get the young guys ready to go.

30 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Vincent Rey isn't great by any means, but our LB corp is dog shit right now. Given that he's been in the system so long and is a decent backup, I think he sticks around for sure.

I guess that's true, but I'd rather have a younger player with some upside.  I get that teams need those average, lunch pail guys but when someone is pushing 30 and has clearly hit their ceiling that's a roster spot that could be filled by someone with the potential to be more than just a jersey-filler.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

I guess that's true, but I'd rather have a younger player with some upside.  I get that teams need those average, lunch pail guys but when someone is pushing 30 and has clearly hit their ceiling that's a roster spot that could be filled by someone with the potential to be more than just a jersey-filler.

If you want to get younger and cut a LB to free up a few bucks, can we please get rid of Maualuga instead?

Their cap numbers this year are almost identical, neither have any dead money tied up, and Maualuga is coming off a very poor season and is much less versatile than Vinnie Rey.

Injuries and suspensions played a part, but Vincent Rey played twice as many snaps as Rey M. (805 to 380), had a better rate of solo tackles per broken tackles, and is less of a liability in coverage.

Just now, T-Dub said:

56803720.jpg

Haha! Well, I was just thinking in terms of the Bengals, I reallllllllly can't see them cutting both loose with such an ultra thin LB corp right now.

Every LB on the team is either trash, unproven, or a lifetime backup outside of Burfict. I can't see the Bengals cutting both, so if they do let 1 or the other go, I'd much rather keep the more versatile, less-bad backer.

I still think they need to double dip with a non-shit-tier FA and mid round or higher draft pick at LB this offseason. I feel that way even with Rey and Rey on the team, but going with a decent FA could let us get rid of 1 of the Reys.

Rey M. has been working out pretty hard this off-season. In today's age, the a middle linebacker that can't cover is kind of like a center that doesn't protect the rim. He needs to drop some pounds and see if it helps his coverage ability. Hopefully that was the intent on what he has been working on the past few weeks.

Vinny is too valuable on special teams and as a nickel linebacker. I have a hard time believing he won't be playing that contract out.

I imagine the only thing helping Hewitt is that dead money. They rarely used him last year contrary to how much he seems to help Jeremy.

17 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Vinny Rey isn't a liability, he adds value to the Bengals. Maualuga was injured for a majority of the season, hopefully he can get healthy and have a great year.

No real issue with Vinny Rey, but expecting Maualuga to have some kind of breakout season at this point isn't very realistic.  When he's on, he does a great job of attacking lead blockers in the run game.  There's not a stat for that, so fans think he's useless. When asked to play in space or seal the edges in the run game, he's been less effective.  Not a real solid tackler and easily fooled by misdirection. He also struggled with play-calling duties when asked to step up that way.  I see no reason they can't upgrade at the position, other than running the team like the Brown Family Charitable Trust where cutting a marginal player or coach you've already payed millions of dollars is still a great moral dilemma. 

22 hours ago, T-Dub said:

No real issue with Vinny Rey, but expecting Maualuga to have some kind of breakout season at this point isn't very realistic.  When he's on, he does a great job of attacking lead blockers in the run game.  There's not a stat for that, so fans think he's useless. When asked to play in space or seal the edges in the run game, he's been less effective.  Not a real solid tackler and easily fooled by misdirection. He also struggled with play-calling duties when asked to step up that way.  I see no reason they can't upgrade at the position, other than running the team like the Brown Family Charitable Trust where cutting a marginal player or coach you've already payed millions of dollars is still a great moral dilemma

So then you see why he will back with the Bengals next season. 

19 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

So then you see why he will back with the Bengals next season. 

That or the more general "no; more status quo" philosophy I see threatening to drown the franchise in apathy & malaise.  Where's the accountability? Where's their fire?

You can have a passion & intensity for the game without turning into Adam Jones.  It's got to be a rudderless organization when that dude is a team leader.  I think it used to be Whit's locker room.  When he started missing games, IDK. 

Hate feeling like I'm pissing on the parade around here, I'm optimistic as far as the roster goes & think with even an average, C grade draft it's going to be a very talented team.  Other than a few assistants, (Urban, Hayes, Chip Morton) I have no faith in the coaches. What's worse, I'm starting to think the players don't either.

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That or the more general "no; more status quo" philosophy I see threatening to drown the franchise in apathy & malaise.  Where's the accountability? Where's their fire?

You can have a passion & intensity for the game without turning into Adam Jones.  It's got to be a rudderless organization when that dude is a team leader.  I think it used to be Whit's locker room.  When he started missing games, IDK. 

Hate feeling like I'm pissing on the parade around here, I'm optimistic as far as the roster goes & think with even an average, C grade draft it's going to be a very talented team.  Other than a few assistants, (Urban, Hayes, Chip Morton) I have no faith in the coaches. What's worse, I'm starting to think the players don't either.

For a while now the Bengals from the staff down thru the players remind me of "it's just a job" type of organization.  Decent and some definite talent there but not much real passion in the way they go about things.

Archived