Obviously we don't know who we're going to draft in the first round.  However, regardless of who we draft, I'm really hoping Malik McDowell from MSU slides to us in the 2nd round.  Even if we got Solomon Thomas in the 1st, I think McDowell has the potential to be the best DL in this draft.  First of all he's great against the run...he's what made the MSU run defense really good over the last few years, IMO.  Very rarely do you see him get pushed off of the ball and more times than not it seems like he stands up single blockers.  A lot of times he's even taking on double teams effectively and he's not even 300 lbs. Besides being an elite (IMO) run defender, he's athletic enough to be a good pass rusher from the DE spot or inside.  He would give our line tons of flexibility and our run defense would be instantly upgraded.

The only negative I've seen/heard/read is about his motor and possible injuries.  The motor thing is why I think it's possible he could slide into the 2nd round.  Dunlap had the same thing said about him coming out of Florida.  I think a line containing of Dunlap, Geno and McDowell would be one of the best in the league.  All of those players are good against the run and can get a pass rush.  Having a good/great D-Line makes everyone else on the defense that much better and it's an upgrade we have to make this year.  

If McDowell falls to the 2nd round, we have to trade up to get him.  I think you can trade compensatory picks this year so if it took our 2nd, a 4th and a 6th to move up to the top of the 2nd, I'd be all for it if this guy is available.

Who would you like to see us draft in the 2nd?

McDowell has been in the mid-1st in a lot of mocks lately. Lance Zierlein of NFL.com gave him a top 10 grade. 

The 3 positions that probably make the most sense in round 2 are DE, MLB or OL (if Zeitler leaves). I'm expecting DE as the most likely pick in the 1st round, which would leave OL and LB as the two spots to target in round 2.

At LB, Haason Reddick, Jarrad Davis, Zach Cunningham and Raekwon McMillan would be good picks.

At OL, guys like Antonio Garcia, Dan Feeney and Taylor Moton would be interesting.

4 hours ago, happyrid said:

At LB, Haason Reddick, Jarrad Davis, Zach Cunningham and Raekwon McMillan would be good picks.

that would be a fantastic group to get to pick from....I know they won't ALL be there, but it still kinda makes me wanna take a pass on Foster at 9.

Maybe I missed it, but I have yet to notice a single OL suggestion.  Is this just a shit draft for offensive linemen? Do we bet another season on Ced & Fisher?  Maybe we'd be better served by a vet FA since we already have plenty of prospects that haven't played much and/or still need lots of camp snaps?

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe I missed it, but I have yet to notice a single OL suggestion.  Is this just a shit draft for offensive linemen? Do we bet another season on Ced & Fisher?  Maybe we'd be better served by a vet FA since we already have plenty of prospects that haven't played much and/or still need lots of camp snaps?

This team needs quality vets that are not 35 years or older that have played NFL games. Andrew Norwell would be a good guy to target if/when Zeitler walks, even though he is a RFA I would like to see the Bengals pay the undrafted former Buckeye starter money.

As for a OT Riley Reiff or Menelik Watson would be some guys I would like to see the Bengals go after. 

21 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

This team needs quality vets that are not 35 years or older that have played NFL games. Andrew Norwell would be a good guy to target if/when Zeitler walks, thalthough he is a RFA I would like to see the Bengals pay the undrafted former Buckeye starter money.

As for a OT Riley Reiff or Menelik Watson would be some guys I would like to see the Bengals go after. 

Interesting, thanks.  The more I think about it that (vet FA) makes more sense.  We've got enough prospects for Alexander to ruin already.

Obviously we don't know who we're going to draft in the first round.  However, regardless of who we draft, I'm really hoping Malik McDowell from MSU slides to us in the 2nd round.  Even if we got Solomon Thomas in the 1st, I think McDowell has the potential to be the best DL in this draft.  First of all he's great against the run...he's what made the MSU run defense really good over the last few years, IMO.  Very rarely do you see him get pushed off of the ball and more times than not it seems like he stands up single blockers.  A lot of times he's even taking on double teams effectively and he's not even 300 lbs. Besides being an elite (IMO) run defender, he's athletic enough to be a good pass rusher from the DE spot or inside.  He would give our line tons of flexibility and our run defense would be instantly upgraded.
The only negative I've seen/heard/read is about his motor and possible injuries.  The motor thing is why I think it's possible he could slide into the 2nd round.  Dunlap had the same thing said about him coming out of Florida.  I think a line containing of Dunlap, Geno and McDowell would be one of the best in the league.  All of those players are good against the run and can get a pass rush.  Having a good/great D-Line makes everyone else on the defense that much better and it's an upgrade we have to make this year.  
If McDowell falls to the 2nd round, we have to trade up to get him.  I think you can trade compensatory picks this year so if it took our 2nd, a 4th and a 6th to move up to the top of the 2nd, I'd be all for it if this guy is available.
Who would you like to see us draft in the 2nd?

If it comes down to McDowell and demarcus walker give me Walker over McDowell. Walker is the most underrated defensive end in this draft. I love McDowell but Walker more.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

McDowell has been in the mid-1st in a lot of mocks lately. Lance Zierlein of NFL.com gave him a top 10 grade. 

The 3 positions that probably make the most sense in round 2 are DE, MLB or OL (if Zeitler leaves). I'm expecting DE as the most likely pick in the 1st round, which would leave OL and LB as the two spots to target in round 2.
At OL, guys like Antonio Garcia, Dan Feeney and Taylor Moton would be interesting.

Highly doubt we go defense end in 1 unless we trade down. Thomas isn't a DE he's more of a dt that's where he got all the hype from. Barnett is not a 1st rounder imo. That doesn't really leave any pass rushers at 9.

Ot is a horrible group. Guard is better but still bad early. Fisher seems to have locked down the RT spot. The more he played the better he got. Ogbuehi is a backup lt for now.

2 hours ago, Jpoore said:

Highly doubt we go defense end in 1 unless we trade down. Thomas isn't a DE he's more of a dt that's where he got all the hype from. Barnett is not a 1st rounder imo. That doesn't really leave any pass rushers at 9.

Barnett broke Reggie White's sack records at UT, he's a first round talent. Charlton, Harris, McKinley, and Watt are probably going in the first round; not sure where you are getting your information from or why you are saying that.

The Bengals should have plenty of quality pass rushers to choose from at #9, I would expect hope they would go with either Barnett, Charlton, or Harris.

Barnett broke Reggie White's sack records at UT, he's a first round talent. Charlton, Harris, McKinley, and Watt are probably going in the first round; not sure where you are getting your information from or why you are saying that.
The Bengals should have plenty of quality pass rushers to choose from at #9, I would expect hope they would go with either Barnett, Charlton, or Harris.

I personally think demarcus Walker is better than all and we can get him in second but anyway. Barnett broke the record but didn't do much against elite talent. Whenever he got stood up against elite tackles they moved him to the other side so his numbers are hugely inflated. Charlton has MAJOR inconsistency issues. watt is second rounder at best. McKinley is a perfect 3-4 olb not really a 4-3 DE. Harris is late 20s pick imo but would be happy with him. But if ur picking at 9 do u really want the 4th best DE at 9? Or the top reciever/safety/cb.

I personally think demarcus Walker is better than all and we can get him in second but anyway. Barnett broke the record but didn't do much against elite talent. Whenever he got stood up against elite tackles they moved him to the other side so his numbers are hugely inflated. Charlton has MAJOR inconsistency issues. watt is second rounder at best. McKinley is a perfect 3-4 olb not really a 4-3 DE. Harris is late 20s pick imo but would be happy with him. But if ur picking at 9 do u really want the 4th best DE at 9? Or the top reciever/safety/cb.

8 hours ago, Jpoore said:

Lamp got destroyed by kpassagnon and a couple others in senior bowl.

Lamp practiced 1 day. He got beat on 1 play by Kpassagnon. There are multiple reports claiming he was hands down the best offensive lineman that day. I'm not going to judge a guy off of 1 play in a practice.

5 hours ago, Jpoore said:

This is terrible logic. We're not getting the 4th best end with the 9th pick. It doesn't matter where they are ranked at their position anyways. If we feel they are worthy of the 9th pick we'll take them. Regardless if they aren't the #1 guy.

It boggles my mind that you could watch our shit pass rush and be totally against an end with the top pick. A WR, safety or CB at 9? Wtf??? 

Walker has an inconsistent motor and is not an athlete. He's going to drop in the draft. He's basically Wallace Gilberry.

Archived