Yeah Hue, we'll take your #12 pick...

Very nice thread, btw.  Like the thought that McPalmer is better than any quarterpounder in the draft.

Yes, I would take The Cleveland Huey's #12.

Yes, I would take Da Bears second round pick if they would sweeten it with a third rounder.  With two second round picks I would take a quarterback with one of them.

The Marvengals are not going to do anything with their Commitment to Mediocrity.

Bengals have McCarron under team control for 2 more seasons.  Who is backing up Dalton if we trade him?  I would not take anything less than a first round pick.

Jeff driskell. They liked him enough to keep him on the 53 all year. Do we really need a backup though? Dalton has missed 4 games in his career all in 2015

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Yes, we really need a backup.

We have McCarron at a reasonable price for two more seasons.  That is worth a whole lot, not only if Andy goes down, but also if Andy's play drops and it is clear that the Bengals need an upgrade.  I would never give up that luxury for less than a decent first round pick.

Yes, we really need a backup.
We have McCarron at a reasonable price for two more seasons.  That is worth a whole lot, not only if Andy goes down, but also if Andy's play drops and it is clear that the Bengals need an upgrade.  I would never give up that luxury for less than a decent first round pick.

Why would his play drop? hes playing great the last 2 seasons. And in 2 seasons we lde mccarron for nothing.

13 hours ago, Jpoore said:

Why would his play drop? hes playing great the last 2 seasons. And in 2 seasons we lde mccarron for nothing.

I'm not saying that I think that Dalton's play will drop, just that if anything happens to Dalton that is unexpected over the next 2 seasons (injury, sudden retirement, poor play) we will have his replacement ready to go.  That is so much more valuable than a second round pick that in all likelihood will not be a great player.  

I'm not saying that I think that Dalton's play will drop, just that if anything happens to Dalton that is unexpected over the next 2 seasons (injury, sudden retirement, poor play) we will have his replacement ready to go.  That is so much more valuable than a second round pick that in all likelihood will not be a great player.  

Well driskell isn't no scrub either.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2017/2/19/14658096/comparing-bengals-first-second-round-draft-picks
Seems like we do really well in the second round. Also seems like out second rounders are the field a lot more quickly than the first.

10 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

But from my understanding it would have to be a top draft pick like first or second right? Correct me if I'm wrong

It depends upon how much the Bengals offer him on a 1-year deal. They'd probably give him a 1st or 2nd round tender. 

1st round is a 1-year offer of ~$3M and 2nd round is ~$2M.

22 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I think someone would take that bet.  

You think a team would give up their 1st while also signing him to a contract big enough for the Bengals not to match (which obviously wouldn't be huge, but still)?

Why would they do that when he could likely be had for a 1st alone this year and that same team could have him for a very cheap season or two?

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

You think a team would give up their 1st while also signing him to a contract big enough for the Bengals not to match (which obviously wouldn't be huge, but still)?

Why would they do that when he could likely be had for a 1st alone this year and that same team could have him for a very cheap season or two?

I don't think the Bengals would try to match at all in that scenario, just take the 1st rounder & be happy.  I'm also expecting his stock to rise if he takes 2nd-string QB snaps through the preseason. Or worst case, playing as the backup if we don't address our garbage OL and AD gets hurt.

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I don't think the Bengals would try to match at all in that scenario, just take the 1st rounder & be happy.  I'm also expecting his stock to rise if he takes 2nd-string QB snaps through the preseason. Or worst case, playing as the backup if we don't address our garbage OL and AD gets hurt.

Yes but I'm speaking from the perspective of the other teams. Why would they wait for him to become a RFA and lose their 1st + have to sign him to a contract for the Bengals to not match when that hypothetical team could just offer up a 1st or 2nd round pick right now and get McCarron from the Bengals? I just don't understand saying that you think a team would "take that bet" when nobody has even offered them a 1st rounder as of yet, and there's no way Mikey passes up a 1st round pick for the backup QB right now.

I don't think any team is going to wait for him to become a RFA to lose a pick, lose out on a year of a super cheap contract, AND have to sign him to a new deal. Any team that might want him will take that shot in the very near future.

58 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yes but I'm speaking from the perspective of the other teams. Why would they wait for him to become a RFA and lose their 1st + have to sign him to a contract for the Bengals to not match when that hypothetical team could just offer up a 1st or 2nd round pick right now and get McCarron from the Bengals?

Why indeed? I agree that's the smart move myself, but..  Draft Hype.

Nobody has even offered them a 1st rounder as of yet

Which doesn't make much sense, does it?  As we've both said, the price on McWebb is likely to go up the longer they wait.  I said before he has to be worth as much as any projected first-round QB in this year's draft.  It doesn't have the excitement of revealing your future franchise QB at the big debutante cotillion in Philly.  If there's a better explanation I'm all ears eyes, but when Mitch Trubisky or whoever is the next QB flop, this time next year ol' McWebb might be worth the tender.

Either way, it makes sense that they're holding out for a 1st rounder in return.

Archived