Free Agent Tracker

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 11:11 PM, MichaelWeston said:

I was just thinking. Maybe we should sign a RB. The Market is going slow. Latavius Murray, Jamaal Charles, Adrian Peterson, Eddie Lacey, LaGarrette Blount....and more. Someone should come cheap. I was banking on a draft pick but why not go bigger?

I would be amped if Peterson signed with The Bengals, but I don't see that happening.  

What the roster might kinda look like going into camp (not including UDFA's).  Cut Maualuga, Jones.  If they don't come up with at least one (preferably two) OL gem(s) - incuding some one to push Fisher & Ogg @ LT - in the draft along with a pass rusher and at least one starting LB, they're in a world of hurt.  Barwin seems like a Bengal move and Sugar Tits just seems inevitable,  :(  so I penciled them in.

OLine (10)
OC Russell Bodine
RG TJ Johnson / Christian Westerman / Trey Hopkins / Alex Redman / (DC)
LG Clint Boling
RT Andre Smith / Eric Winston
LT Jake Fisher / Cedric Ogbuehi / (DC)

Receivers (9)
TE Tyler Eifert / Tyler Kroft / CJ Uzomah
WR AJ Green / Cody Core / (DC) / James Wright / Jake Krumerow  
WR Brandon LaFell / Tyler Boyd / Alex Ericson / Alonzo Russell / Chris Brown

QBs (2 or 3)
QB Andy Dalton / AJ McCarron / Jeff Driskel / (?)

RB's (5)
HB Ryan Hewitt
RB Jeremy Hill / Gio Bernard / Rex Burkhead / (DC) / Tra carson

DLine (9 or 10)
DT Geno Adkins / Andrew Billings / (DC) / Pat Sims / Brandon Thompson / Marcus Hardison / DeShawn Williams / David Dean
DE Carlos Dunlap / Connor Barwin / Michael Johnson / Wil Clarke / (DC) / Ryan Brown / Wallace Gilberry (or) Margus Hunt

LB's (6)
MB Nick Vigil / Vinnie Rey / (DC)
SB (DC) / Marquis Flowers / Bryson Albright
WB Vontaze Burflict / PJ Dawson

DB's (9 or 10)
CB Dre Kirkpatrick / Marqueze Dennard / Will Jackson / (DC) / Josh Shaw / Keivere Russell / Bene Benwikere / Tony McRae
S George Iloka / Shawn Williams / (DC) / Derron Smith / Clayton Fejedelem

ST's (3)
PK Randy Bullock / (DC)
P Kevin Huber
LS Clark Harris

1 hour ago, Jpoore said:

He would likely just be a DE in the Bengals defense, but maybe his salary would push them to cut Rey

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Pre-Draft what I would do. 

1. Re-sign Burkhead

2. RT-Andre Smith

3. C-Eric Mangold

4. DE-Connor Barwin

5. DT-Chris Jones

6. LB-Zach Brown or if not him Sean Spence

7. LB-Sean Weatherspoon

8. QB-Ausin Davis

9. DB-Leon Hall

Mr. Weston: where would the dough come from foe all of these signings? 

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Mr. Weston: where would the dough come from foe all of these signings? 

With our free cap space, of course! Haha, let me explain.

We have $27.61M in open cap room at this very moment. Your top 51 players count against the books and anyone you sign is going to take the place of someone else on the roster. So while a hypothetical free agent signing that costs us $3M against our cap, in reality it's only taking away around $2.4 - $2.5M if it knocks a guy out of the top 51 making around $500-600k (usually around that number for the bottom of the 51 type of guys). Same theory goes for draft picks, people are running around screaming "OMG we need $9M for our draft picks this year!!!", and while that's technically true if you're only looking at their contracts, you must realize they're taking someone else's roster spot to even out that money toward the cap. Our 3rd - 7th rounders are all going to essentially cost us nothing as far as our team salary cap. If they make the roster, they're going to replace someone with an almost identical salary. You may be thinking I'm going off on an unrelated tangent with the draft picks, BUT it's for a reason, it's to show we don't need to save all of this money for draft picks as that's just a myth with the new CBA.

So onto that free agent list, I guess it would come down to how much you think each player will be making nowadays. Take a guy like Barwin for example, he was cut as a cap casualty and those types of players usually don't find themselves making the same amount on a new team. There are 2 LB on his list, so I'm assuming he's planning to cut Rey Maualuga in his hypothetical signings. That puts us up to $31.278M in cap space. Take $15M out for extensions, signing our draft picks (remember the 1st - 2nd rounders are the only guys going to add anything toward our cap and not even their full salary), and whatever else the team always saves money for. I think the "injury pool" is bullshit because which $5M/year free agent is sitting around on the market in the middle of October that might need signed? I think $15M is plenty for extensions, draft picks, and a little leftover depending on who we choose to not extend (looking at you, Tyler Eifert)

So the question is, how many of those guys on Weston's list get done with $16.278M? It's a complete guess by any of us of how much some of these players will cost. I see a couple of $3-4M/year guys on there, so there's a chance they couldn't all get done, but I think we could easily obtain most of that list while still being able to afford a Burfict extension + draft pick signings + have some $$$ leftover.

Let me also say that I do NOT expect us to make even half of those signings. Good ol' Hobson has already come out and spoken for the team by saying we only have a couple of million left to spend in free agency, so there's really no reason to expect us to go out and sign 9 players that could supplement the roster.

I was just pointing out that if we do real, non-Hobson/Mike Brown math, that we can absolutely sign most (if not all) of these guys. It's not the Bengal-way to sign that many outsiders though, so I don't see it happening. Burkhead, Smith, Leon Hall (3 former Bengals), + 1 outsider could get done though, I could see them pulling that off and spending a little more than Hobson has claimed they will.

This isn't me trashing the Bengals, it's just pointing out the reality in how the team operates. I don't fully agree with it, but I tried to not put many of my own opinions in these posts and just went with trying to be informative and as realistic as possible. I really, really, really hate the whole "injury pool" BS, so that's the only thing I couldn't help but put my $0.02 in.

As far as Barwin my friend who lives in Philly and is a Eagles fan said the following....

"First of all, he's a stellar human being first and foremost. Very talented, great guy, great guy in the community who does so much. He's not an Eagle today due to salary cap implications. You want him and he's the guy that I'll cheer for even if he suited up for Dallas.

As far as play...He's good. Last season was down for him due to the change in defensive scheme, which is oh so common when you switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3.

We're all sad he's gone, but we understand the business"

and playing for us vs Philly ...

"And used more properly than what Jim Schwartz did here last year.

Or so I'd hope. He'd become my favorite Bengal if signed."

"Yeah he was a Bearcat, yes. Even better. I think of him far more than just a football player. The man he is, is so great for the community. Always rode public transportation to the stadium, too. Very humble. You really want this guy."

(Me) as long as the play matches the community involvement

"Well, his play and heart are on the field. He's an all pro with his service.
He's the kind of guy that would get a standing O here upon returning."

http://nyg.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Free-Agent-LB-Keenan-Robinson-set-to-visit-the-Bengals-51755213

Report: Free Agent LB Keenan Robinson set to visit the Bengals

Keenan Robinson may be a one-and-done contract for the New York Giants.

According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, Robinson is scheduled to travel to Cincinnati on Monday to meet with the Bengals.

Robinson signed a one-year "prove it" deal with the Giants last offseason and it didn't take him long to show his worth. Robinson emerged as the Giants' starting middle linebacker in Week 2 and never looked back. For the first time since Antonio Pierce played middle linebacker, the franchise found a way to limit opposing running backs in the passing game with Robinson in the lineup.

Earlier this offseason, Giants head coach Ben McAdoo hinted that 2016 rookie fourth-round draft pick B.J. Goodson was ready to step up in year two. If the Bengals and Robinson agree to a contract, Goodson will be in line to take over as the starting middle linebacker in 2017.

The Giants are dedicated to fixing their offense this offseason and free agency is finally here, don't miss any updates , take a second to sign up for our FREE Giants newsletter!

The Bengals do not have an obvious need for Robinson in the middle, but he has played at both outside linebacker spots as well throughout his tenure in the NFL. The Bengals likely already have a spot in mind for Robinson within their current linebacker corps and rotation.

More details to come.

Wow, Keenan Robinson was one of the LBs I mentioned a month or two ago as a guy I'd be really interested in picking up.

Unfortunately I don't think he's going to end up here. He wasn't cut, so that affects our comp picks for next year and he's young and actually proved it on a "prove it" deal which means he's not going to be an extreme bargain.

They'll probably kick the tires with Robinson and eventually sign a player that was cut instead. Good to see them bringing him in though, I'd love to see Robinson in stripes.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Wow, Keenan Robinson was one of the LBs I mentioned a month or two ago as a guy I'd be really interested in picking up.

Unfortunately I don't think he's going to end up here. He wasn't cut, so that affects our comp picks for next year and he's young and actually proved it on a "prove it" deal which means he's not going to be an extreme bargain.

They'll probably kick the tires with Robinson and eventually sign a player that was cut instead. Good to see them bringing him in though, I'd love to see Robinson in stripes.

That depends on what he'd sign for.  If it's a small enough contract then it would just wipe out the lowest signed contract of the guys we lost so far.  Once we get the max of 4 qualifying losses, each additional one just offsets a potential new signing.  They can sign them ahead of time if they're willing to assume the risk that no one signs Burkhead, but I think they'll wait until they're guaranteed to have a fifth loss for the offsetting condition.

Right now:

1) Zeitler -> Cleveland Browns

2) Whitworth -> Los Angeles Rams

3) Peko -> Denver Broncos

4) Dansby -> Arizona Cardinals

As soon as Burkhead signs someplace, they can add someone like Robinson.  Then once one of Gilberry / Hunt / Peerman / Brown signs with someone they can bring in Andre Smith or another low-end FA.  They just have to be careful and only cancel out the lowest qualifying contracts of their FA losses.  Right now, I'm guessing they get a 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th next year unless someone like Burkhead gets a better deal than expected and bumps Peko / Dansby off that list.

3 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

Fuck compensatory picks, they don't do dick for winning... especially when they don't work out. Sign quality players to win fucking games. 

Peace out...

But, but, Tom Brady was a sixth rounder!!110011

Archived