Baby Hawk back on the market

Lol you're taking this shit waaaaay too seriously, no one here has even suggested once that he would make the final roster....in my case, I just don't see what it would hurt to have a pros pro out there competing with these guys during TC, all it's going to do is make them better players......whatever though, I digress. 

5 hours ago, spicoli said:

Lol you're taking this shit waaaaay too seriously, no one here has even suggested once that he would make the final roster....in my case, I just don't see what it what hurt to have a pros pro out there competing with these guys during TC, all it's going to do is make them better players......whatever though, I digress. 

I'm just stating an opinion different than yours.  Who is taking this too seriously? 

If he would sign for the $775k ($615k cap number) minimum for his years in the league, I guess, what would the problem with that be?

If he wouldn't sign for the minimum, then no thanks.

You need 90 players for your offseason roster, it doesn't hurt to have a couple guys like Hawkins out there. It's very, very unlikely that Hawkins is on our regular season roster in 2017-2018 so I don't know how much this even matters.

57 minutes ago, spicoli said:

exactly! it's really not that hard to understand.

Just seems like a waste of time, why give reps and a roster space for a 31 year old player that you know isn't going to be apart of the game day roster? Normally with players of his age they are confirmed starters that are going to be big time contributors, not an offseason flyer that probably won't make it to week 4 of the preseason.

I would prefer the Bengals round out their roster with young guys that would be good practice squad players that need some development vs. a vet that would the 4th or 5th option at best. 

10 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Just seems like a waste of time, why give reps and a roster space for a 31 year old player that you know isn't going to be apart of the game day roster? Normally with players of his age they are confirmed starters that are going to be big time contributors, not an offseason flyer that probably won't make it to week 4 of the preseason.

I would prefer the Bengals round out their roster with young guys that would be good practice squad players that need some development vs. a vet that would the 4th or 5th option at best. 

I guess my thoughts on the matter are that Hawkins would at least have a CHANCE to make the roster, even if it's 1%, where guys that are the 75th-90th best players on the 90 man roster are really just there to fill space regardless of their "potential".

There's a reason you see mostly very young players being signed to round out the 90, but I don't think it would hurt anything to have a vet or two compete for these spots either. A lot of the competition is for the PS though, which I totally agree with you on and that's why I think the roster spots should mostly go to the young guys since the vets wouldn't be PS eligible.

IF the team thinks there's even a tiny chance that Hawkins could make the roster and IF he'd sign for the vet min, I don't see an issue. We have WRs on the team perfectly capable of being better than Hawkins in the slot though, so I don't see an opportunity for him here, and in that case I'm not sure this conversation is even worth having.

36 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Just seems like a waste of time, why give reps and a roster space for a 31 year old player that you know isn't going to be apart of the game day roster?

because Hawk will likely outwork any kid that they could possibly find out there and I just think those are the type of players you'd like to have your guys practice with/against everyday.

it'll likely never happen anyways, but my point the whole time has been- what exactly would it hurt on a vet minimum deal?

I just don't get all the angst. 

14 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I guess my thoughts on the matter are that Hawkins would at least have a CHANCE to make the roster, even if it's 1%, where guys that are the 75th-90th best players on the 90 man roster are really just there to fill space regardless of their "potential".

There's a reason you see mostly very young players being signed to round out the 90, but I don't think it would hurt anything to have a vet or two compete for these spots either. A lot of the competition is for the PS though, which I totally agree with you on and that's why I think the roster spots should mostly go to the young guys since the vets wouldn't be PS eligible.

IF the team thinks there's even a tiny chance that Hawkins could make the roster and IF he'd sign for the vet min, I don't see an issue. We have WRs on the team perfectly capable of being better than Hawkins in the slot though, so I don't see an opportunity for him here, and in that case I'm not sure this conversation is even worth having.

Agreed...from my experience I think people just like saying the phrase "Baby Hawk", I know I do..

Just now, spicoli said:

because Hawk will likely outwork any kid that they could possibly find out there and I just think those are the type of players you'd like to have your guys practice with/against everyday.

it'll likely never happen but my point the whole time has been- what exactly would it hurt on a vet minimum deal?

Why do you assume that, what makes you think he's some ultra hard working guy that's going to show these entitled millennials how to succeed in the big leagues? I'm sure guys like Kumerow, Erickson, Wright, Russell, and whomever the Bengals draft/sign this offseason are hard workers as well.  

because that's the reputation he's always had, that's what got him in the league to begin with.

like I said, it'll likely never happen anyways so really who cares? 

nothing whatsoever wrong with bringing vets in to help fill the bottom of the 90 man roster though.

5 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

What's Tab Perry doing these days?

Tab "2 time UFL champ with the Las Vegas Locomotives" Perry? He's coaching HS receivers.

Oddly enough, Dontay Moch popped up for the first time in a long time on my Twitter today. Dude is still jacked AF. Get him a value sized jar of Tylenol and a Vet minimum contract!

On 3/1/2017 at 1:23 PM, spicoli said:

it'll likely never happen anyways, but my point the whole time has been- what exactly would it hurt on a vet minimum deal?

He would outwork a younger, broke UDFA who has never seen a big time NFL a contract? A kid who knows this is his time to shine if he really wants to play in this league? GTFO. 

We know what Hawk is. You don't see the Pats kicking the tires of Wes Welker. Move the fuck on. Use that spot to attempt and find a diamond in the rough. You say it doesn't hurt. It does. It hurts the chances of finding someone who is hungry and can contribute FOR YEARS. As Weston said, it's a no brainer. As in if you make this move you have no brain. 

On March 1, 2017 at 10:26 AM, PatternMaster said:

Why do you assume that, what makes you think he's some ultra hard working guy that's going to show these entitled millennials how to succeed in the big leagues? I'm sure guys like Kumerow, Erickson, Wright, Russell, and whomever the Bengals draft/sign this offseason are hard workers as well.  

He's technically a Millenial himself.

On 3/1/2017 at 1:23 PM, spicoli said:

He will outwork the kids and teach them how hard you have to work. 

Archived