My 9 Combine Players to Watch for the #9 Pick

With the NFL Combine ready to kickoff, I figured I would include my 9 players to watch that I feel the Bengals could target with the # 9 pick (based on them being available). Positionally, I think the team has to go DE, WR, LB, S or DT and can’t really see them taking any other position at 9.

1. DE   Taco Charlton   6'6   272 lbs   Michigan

2. DE   Derek Barnett   6'3   265 lbs   Tennessee

3. MLB   Reuben Foster   6'1   228 lbs   Alabama

4. WR   Mike Williams   6'3   225 lbs  Clemson

5. WR   Corey Davis   6'3   213 lbs   Western Michigan

6. SS   Jamal Adams   6'1   213 lbs   LSU

7. SS   Jabrill Peppers   5'11   213 lbs   Michigan

8. DT   Malik McDowell   6'6   276 lbs  Michigan St.

9. DT   Caleb Brantley   6'2   314 lbs   Florida

16 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

With the NFL Combine ready to kickoff, I figured I would include my 9 players to watch that I feel the Bengals could target with the # 9 pick (based on them being available). Positionally, I think the team has to go DE, WR, LB, S or DT and can’t really see them taking any other position at 9.

1. DE   Taco Charlton   6'6   272 lbs   Michigan

2. DE   Derek Barnett   6'3   265 lbs   Tennessee

3. MLB   Reuben Foster   6'1   228 lbs   Alabama

4. WR   Mike Williams   6'3   225 lbs  Clemson

5. WR   Corey Davis   6'3   213 lbs   Western Michigan

6. SS   Jamal Adams   6'1   213 lbs   LSU

7. SS   Jabrill Peppers   6'1   205 lbs   Michigan

8. DT   Malik McDowell   6'6   276 lbs  Michigan St.

9. DT   Caleb Brantley   6'2   314 lbs   Florida

I Solomon Thomas missing because you don't think he'll be available or you don't like him for us?

25 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Which one is this year's Green-Beckham, BJ?

It’s still early and I don’t have a full on draft crush yet, plus there are no 340 lb DT’s (my true weakness) or 350 lb G’s.

Though I will say that my favorite prospect in CFB last year was Jabril Peppers, and I think he’s a game breaker with that “it” factor to make plays. I think he’d be worth the #9 pick, and the latest Bucky Brooks mock from today has him going #7 to SD – though other mocks have him going later to the Ravens or Patriots (he’d wind up an All Pro with both I am sure).

So it’s possible that post combine my DGB crush will be Jabril … another dark horse is Taco (since I like tall and long DE’s). Though I will say, although I am not in love with his measurables, Derek Barnett is intriguing to me.

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

It’s still early and I don’t have a full on draft crush yet, plus there are no 340 lb DT’s (my true weakness) or 350 lb G’s.

I thought this list was missing some dancing bears, but you must be aware of the guy from USC Stevie Tu'ikolovatu 6'1 350 lbs...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/stevie-tuikolovatu?id=2557962

You're welcome..

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

I thought this list was missing some dancing bears, but you must be aware of the guy from USC Stevie Tu'ikolovatu 6'1 350 lbs...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/stevie-tuikolovatu?id=2557962

You're welcome..

lol ... I've already stalked him. But I was just dealing in 1st rd #9 talent first. Though that scale number is promising. 

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

reports are starting to come out of Indy that a lot of scouts think Taco is a top 10 pick...

Taco is the only top rated DE with prototypical height, length measurements - though he could afford to gain about 15 lbs likely. Some teams like the Bengals prefer long arms on the edge, more than the ability to bend. 

I don't worry about Taco's pass rush, I worry about his ability to set the edge in the run game......even if he's a bit undersized, I think Barnett would set a better edge while giving you just as much, if not more, as a pass rusher.

4 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Though I will say that my favorite prospect in CFB last year was Jabril Peppers, and I think he’s a game breaker with that “it” factor to make plays. I think he’d be worth the #9 pick, and the latest Bucky Brooks mock from today has him going #7 to SD – though other mocks have him going later to the Ravens or Patriots (he’d wind up an All Pro with both I am sure).

So it’s possible that post combine my DGB crush will be Jabril … another dark horse is Taco (since I like tall and long DE’s). Though I will say, although I am not in love with his measurables, Derek Barnett is intriguing to me.

What makes you think Peppers has such an "it" factor to make plays? 

Was it the one turnover he created in his college career? (which was a tipped ball by someone else that luckily dropped into his hands)

For comparisons' sake, Ed Reed had 21 INTs at Miami. Some guys just have a knack for making big plays and creating turnovers and some don't. 

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

I don't worry about Taco's pass rush, I worry about his ability to set the edge in the run game......even if he's a bit undersized, I think Barnett would set a better edge while giving you just as much, if not more, as a pass rusher.

The biggest problem with Taco is consistency and technique. I worry less abut his ability to do anything than his desire.

My only real comment is that a top 10 pick should be the obvious guy when you look at his tape. He should be a man among buys. When I look at tape of the Michigan DL, I'm wondering who Ryan Glasgow is and mocking him as a day 3 pick.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2017/03/02/peppers-speed-expected-talk-combine/98662224/

If Peppers runs a 4.3 as some think he might ... then he will shoot up the draft boards. 

As for his 1 int, he barely ever played CB, and mostly was a blitzing hybrid LB and teams almost always avoided his side of the field. That is why his best highlights are as a RB, where he shows he is Chris Johnson fast and explosive. But that athletic talent is rare and can be used for lots of things. He reminds me of Pac Man on PR actually and has a similar swagger, without the arrests. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

....but you don't draft a punt returner with the #9 overall pick in the draft

He'd be one of the 3 best PR/KR in the NFL likely, but that's not even his main trait, it would just be a bonus. I would play him as a SS /  Nickle LB on passing downs (which is what he did in college) and even have a few trick plays for him on offense (wildcat style like Sanu used to do). He's a jack of all trades really, and you can find endless ways to use him.

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

He'd be one of the 3 best PR/KR in the NFL likely, but that's not even his main trait, it would just be a bonus. I would play him as a SS /  Nickle LB on passing downs (which is what he did in college) and even have a few trick plays for him on offense (wildcat style like Sanu used to do). He's a jack of all trades really, and you can find endless ways to use him.

Sounds like he has the potential to be a bust in all 3 phases of the game.  ;)

These jack-of-all-trades types end up doing that in college because they're great athletes but crappy position players.  That's fine for the Big 10 or whatever but in the NFL pretty much everyone else is a great athlete, too.

What makes you think Peppers has such an "it" factor to make plays? 
Was it the one turnover he created in his college career? (which was a tipped ball by someone else that luckily dropped into his hands)
For comparisons' sake, Ed Reed had 21 INTs at Miami. Some guys just have a knack for making big plays and creating turnovers and some don't. 

Malik hooker is a much more accurate comparison to ed reed.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

We already have a top 3 kr.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Archived