Possibilities at 9

5 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Oh shit he ran a quick 40 yard dash wearing spandex?

Better draft him with a top 10 pick.

It just doesn't make any sense. He's a 3-4 OLB to the core. He's at his best rushing the QB. We run a 4-3 and don't blitz LBs much. I don't like his agility to be in coverage. Too small to be a 4-3 end. 

Head scratching pick.

4 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

It just doesn't make any sense. He's a 3-4 OLB to the core. He's at his best rushing the QB. We run a 4-3 and don't blitz LBs much. I don't like his agility to be in coverage. Too small to be a 4-3 end. 

Head scratching pick.

He's too small to be an every down end, but he could be a designated pass rusher.  But that still doesn't put him at 9. 

12 hours ago, happyrid said:

The more I think about it and the more information comes out through the draft process, the more I like the idea of grabbing one of the top WRs at 9. 

Now that Solomon Thomas seems pretty locked in as a top 5 pick, I don't see much difference between the DEs likely available at 9 and the ones who should be there at 41. In fact, I might like some of the guys like JJ Watt who are being mocked in the 2nd even better than Barnett, Charlton, etc. Barnett and Charlton seem so boom/bust and are probably pretty big reaches at 9. 

Being able to get a solid starter like Kevin Minter in FA for a relatively cheap price shows how MLB is a non-premium position and if you're taking one in the top 10, he better check all the boxes. With all the off field stuff piling up on Foster (in addition to the lack of size, injury history, etc.), I don't see how you can pull the trigger. It's also not much of a need anymore. I like Reddick, but 9 is probably too high for him too.

That leaves offense and I think the one position where you potentially get a lot of bang for your buck is WR. You're never going to get a guy like Ross in FA for less than $10M. If his medicals check out, he's a heck of an option and a guy who completely changes how opposing defenses have to scheme to stop you. I also like Corey Davis a lot, though I'd love to see him lay down a 4.50 or better if he can get healthy enough to run in the next month. Mike Williams is my least favorite of the top trio, but I wouldn't be mad if they took him either.

I'm with you for the most part, but I'd put OJ Howard at the front because of his run blocking skills.  

13 hours ago, happyrid said:

The more I think about it and the more information comes out through the draft process, the more I like the idea of grabbing one of the top WRs at 9. 

Now that Solomon Thomas seems pretty locked in as a top 5 pick, I don't see much difference between the DEs likely available at 9 and the ones who should be there at 41. In fact, I might like some of the guys like JJ Watt who are being mocked in the 2nd even better than Barnett, Charlton, etc. Barnett and Charlton seem so boom/bust and are probably pretty big reaches at 9. 

Being able to get a solid starter like Kevin Minter in FA for a relatively cheap price shows how MLB is a non-premium position and if you're taking one in the top 10, he better check all the boxes. With all the off field stuff piling up on Foster (in addition to the lack of size, injury history, etc.), I don't see how you can pull the trigger. It's also not much of a need anymore. I like Reddick, but 9 is probably too high for him too.

That leaves offense and I think the one position where you potentially get a lot of bang for your buck is WR. You're never going to get a guy like Ross in FA for less than $10M. If his medicals check out, he's a heck of an option and a guy who completely changes how opposing defenses have to scheme to stop you. I also like Corey Davis a lot, though I'd love to see him lay down a 4.50 or better if he can get healthy enough to run in the next month. Mike Williams is my least favorite of the top trio, but I wouldn't be mad if they took him either.

I agree that I'm starting to love the idea of taking the top WR on their board at 9. My only concern is that the value for Offensive Lineman is round 2 which I think we desperately need to pull the trigger on, which means we wont be looking at pass rusher till round 3-4 and that is sort of a concern. It all depends who's going to be there at 9, if its a pass rusher like Allen I think you have to pull the trigger over a WR then we have flexibility in round 2-4 to grab o-line and whatever top talent is there for us like Mixon or a WR. But really the only pass rusher at 9 who makes sense for us over a top WR is Allen, Garrett or Thomas and it looks like all 3 wont be there. If all are gone I can get on board with Davis, Fournette, Ross, Williams

if Derek Barnett can be a 4-3 DE then so can Tak McKinley, easily.....the kid is super athletic and super productive, and he wasn't always just a 3-4 OLB on that defense, he also played on the line with his hand in the dirt a little bit for them as well. 

I said this in an earlier post in another thread.....if you're gonna consider fringe top 20 talent like Taco Charlton and Derek Barnett for the Bengals at 9, then you also have to consider guys like Tak McKinley and Charles Harris as well, because from a grade standpoint, there's going to be very very little separating those 4. 

2 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

Kiper has us taking Takkarist McKinley from UCLA #9. Over Foster and Reddick. TERRIBLE.

I really like Tak.  He is going to be solid and a team leader wherever he plays. First is too high though.  Especially since he isnt a great fit for the Bengals' system.  

people need to understand that there are only 8 top-tier players in this draft, once those 8 are gone the next tier has about 15 different guys in it and they're all going to be graded virtually the same......so unless a QB gets taken in the top 8, which I highly doubt, then the Bengals are going to be picking from tier-B which could honestly be any one of about 15 different guys......that includes Charlton (maybe), that includes Barnett and it also includes Tak McKinley.

1 minute ago, BlackBengal said:

I don't think that will happen.

that's fine but you need to understand that guys like Barnett and Charlton are not considered top shelf talent in this draft......they're just 2 of about 15 guys and I'm honestly leaning towards not even putting Charlton with that group because I'm starting to believe he's more of a day 2 pick the more I look at things. 

Would not surprise me a bit if Tak was drafted ahead of Taco.  I think that is about 50-50.  I think that Barnett will be drafted pretty high though.  Top-15 player who has a chance of going in the top-10, maybe even to the Bengals.  

A lot will depend on Barnett's pro day next week.  He worked out the combine despite stomach flu.  I am hoping that he can improve on his poor combine times.  If he does I think he will be a pretty high pick, if he doesnt he might fall a little.  

31 minutes ago, spicoli said:

if Derek Barnett can be a 4-3 DE then so can Tak McKinley, easily.....the kid is super athletic and super productive, and he wasn't always just a 3-4 OLB on that defense, he also played on the line with his hand in the dirt a little bit for them as well. 

I said this in an earlier post in another thread.....if you're gonna consider fringe top 20 talent like Taco Charlton and Derek Barnett for the Bengals at 9, then you also have to consider guys like Tak McKinley and Charles Harris as well, because from a grade standpoint, there's going to be very very little separating those 4. 

You saying it doesn't make it true. McKinley is a LB.

24 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

You saying it doesn't make it true. McKinley is a LB.

dude he weighs 265lbs and he's just as fluid with his hand on the ground as he is standing up.

I swear some of you act like that just because things didn't work out with Reinard Wilson 20 years ago, everybody that has the "versatility" tag associated with them now surely won't work here either.

let me tell ya, if you just make McKinley a designated pass rusher in year one until you can either bulk him up or lean him out in the off-season, you're going to be drafting a 10+ sack guy right off the bat.....you could honestly make a legitimate case for Tak being the 2nd best edge rusher in this entire draft class after Myles Garrett. 

If you're going by the numbers, I don't think it's possible to make a legitimate case that McKinley is the 2nd best edge rusher at all.

I'd take Barnett over Tak @9 and I'd take Jordan Willis in the 2nd round over Reddick @9.

Not that I even want any of the 4 in general, but I don't understand the sudden love for some of these guys.

Just now, omgdrdoom said:

Not that I even want any of the 4 in general, but I don't understand the sudden love for some of these guys.

lol, it's not "sudden love", give me a break......if you go back and look at some of the draft posts on this board from early in the year, I had McKinley in my top 10.

guys like McKinley and Harris are just flat out ballers.....you could put them on the DL, at outside LB or hell you could even put them a MLB and these guys will find a way to make an impact. 

you could probably put Willis in that group with McKinley and Harris as well I suppose, but honestly he seems much more stiff to me than the other two do.

Archived