Possibilities at 9

4 minutes ago, spicoli said:

lol, it's not "sudden love", give me a break......if you go back and look at some of the draft posts on this board from early in the year, I had McKinley in my top 10.

guys like McKinley and Harris are just flat out ballers.....you could put them on the DL, at outside LB or hell you could even put them a MLB and these guys will find a way to make an impact. 

you could probably put Willis in that group with McKinley and Harris as well I suppose, but honestly he seems much more stiff to me than the other two do.

I guess it just kind of sucks that we have to sit here and talk about these kinds of players in general with a top 10 draft pick.

I always feel like a top 10 pick needs to be one of the top guys at his position that's going to make an immediate impact in your scheme. At least I'd assume that's the goal, most teams aren't picking in the top 10 that had a good year previously.

I do agree with you when you say there's a big group of guys that are all similar in skill level, so that's why I mentioned Willis because you use a 2nd rounder on him opposed to reaching for any of the other 10 guys we've been talking about.

At the end of the day the team should just pick up one of the 2 safeties if they drop or grab their perceived best WR in the draft (assuming they're all still on board at 9), and in my case hoping it isn't Ross.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

I guess it just kind of sucks that we have to sit here and talk about these kinds of players in general with a top 10 draft pick.

eight "5-star" players in this draft and we pick #9......it is what it is. 

1 hour ago, BlackBengal said:

Would not surprise me a bit if Tak was drafted ahead of Taco.  I think that is about 50-50.  I think that Barnett will be drafted pretty high though.  Top-15 player who has a chance of going in the top-10, maybe even to the Bengals.  

A lot will depend on Barnett's pro day next week.  He worked out the combine despite stomach flu.  I am hoping that he can improve on his poor combine times.  If he does I think he will be a pretty high pick, if he doesnt he might fall a little.  

I'm hoping he doesn't and is there at #9, I think we can both agree Barnett would be the option for the Bengals if guys like Garrett, Thomas, and Allen are gone. 

4 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Who are your 8 five star players?

Garrett

Allen

Fournette

Foster

Thomas

Hooker

Adams

Lattimore

and it's not just my 8, it's starting to become pretty widely known.....hell even dumbass Hobson has picked up on it. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

dude he weighs 265lbs and he's just as fluid with his hand on the ground as he is standing up.

I swear some of you act like that just because things didn't work out with Reinard Wilson 20 years ago, everybody that has the "versatility" tag associated with them now surely won't work here either.

let me tell ya, if you just make McKinley a designated pass rusher in year one until you can either bulk him up or lean him out in the off-season, you're going to be drafting a 10+ sack guy right off the bat.....you could honestly make a legitimate case for Tak being the 2nd best edge rusher in this entire draft class after Myles Garrett. 

You could make a legitimate case for a whole bunch of guys being the 2nd best edge rusher.  You could make legitimate case that Garrett isn't the best edge rusher in the draft.  It is all so objective.

here's the thing about Barnett, he is physically maxed out whereas some of these other guys (Tak included) are still developing and growing into their bodies....that would be fine if he were going up against college OT's every week, but in the NFL it's only going to get him so far.

none of that means he can't be a good player, it just usually means that he'll likely end up getting drafted much closer to the back end of R1 than the front. 

Just now, BlackBengal said:

You could make a legitimate case for a whole bunch of guys being the 2nd best edge rusher.  You could make legitimate case that Garrett isn't the best edge rusher in the draft.  It is all so objective.

I'm just looking at his latest body of work (19tfl, 10sacks) and his ability to bend around the edge like very few guys in this draft.

and the scary thing is, he's just getting started....he's literally a manchild. 

28 minutes ago, spicoli said:

here's the thing about Barnett, he is physically maxed out whereas some of these other guys (Tak included) are still developing and growing into their bodies....that would be fine if he were going up against college OT's every week, but in the NFL it's only going to get him so far.

none of that means he can't be a good player, it just usually means that he'll likely end up getting drafted much closer to the back end of R1 than the front. 

Wait, why is Barnett "physically maxed out" but Tak is "still growing into his body"?

Tak is older than Barnett.  I don't think either of them are maxed out.  

42 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Garrett

Allen

Fournette

Foster

Thomas

Hooker

Adams

Lattimore

and it's not just my 8, it's starting to become pretty widely known.....hell even dumbass Hobson has picked up on it. 

Okay cool so let's just take Foster then since most people have him available at 9.

Tak looks like a straight line athlete to me and the combine matched up with that. I guess he could be an end here but he's extremely undersized by NFL standards. Just doesn't seem like a fit in our defense. 

Not to mention his injury which potentially puts him out until September.

I also worry about how coachable he is. He really struggled with a few of the combine drills. Also rumored to have scored a 3 on the wonderlic. If we do try to fit the square peg into the round hole at LB the learning curve could be too tough. 

In kipers mock I think we take Barnett or Charlton. Not particularly a huge fan of either but we are in a tough spot at 9.

Every year there's always  Mckinley type players that get drafted higher then they should.  602 250 and most don't really do much in the NFL it seems..  I'm talking about the tweener types who have great senior years only to be non factors in the NFL due to their size. 

I don't see why Barnette is dropping at all.  603 265 plays the run n pass well.  Highly productive college true junior from the SEC.  This guy has stud written all over maybe not a perennial pro bowler but 10 year vet type of guy.   And I'm tired of seeing Michael Johnson playing paddy cake with the left tackle for 10 seconds. 

2 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Add OJ Howard to that list...we're good.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

I think Howard is kind of straddling the line from tier-A to tier-B, not from a talent standpoint though but mostly just from a position standpoint.....it's just rare to see a TE go in the top 10.

that said, in this draft #9 looks like a pretty damn good spot for him IMO, which is just fine by me.

7 minutes ago, SocalBengalEd said:

And I'm tired of seeing Michael Johnson playing paddy cake with the left tackle for 10 seconds. 

me too, I'm just not sold on Burnett being so much better than the rest of the DE's in this draft that we would need to take him at 9......I just can't see it happening.

32 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

Gone: Garrett, Thomas, Adams

Probably gone: Allen, Hooker, Fournette, Lattimore

May be there: Howard

Will be there: Barnett, Charlton, Foster, Reddick, Williams, Ross, Davis, McKinley

My thought process at the very moment:

If Allen, Hooker, or Lattimore are there somehow, take them without thinking twice.

If all 3 are gone, take Foster if the football IQ issues aren't a big deal to you and take Williams/Howard if Foster's problems aren't something you think can be coached into him.

Forget taking any of the 2nd tier pass rushers with a top 10 pick when the top LB and top WR/TE are available.

Archived