First Post-Combine Mock, with a little hopeful thinking

Projected Round (2017): 2-4. 
 2/25/17: Godwin caught 59 passes for 982 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2016. He finished the year in excellent fashion with an impressive bowl game against USC. Godwin is a quick and slippery receiver who can get open while pushing a defense vertically. 
first of all Walter Football is garbage but that report was filed before teams were able to get a good look at him at the combine.....no way in hell he makes it out of the top 100.

I think he gets pick after 130

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, CoachMinich said:

I like Solomon, but I think there are better pass rushers who can play roughly as well against the run

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

"roughly" as well? lol

we'll just agree to disagree.

with questions about Allen's shoulders, there's a real good shot that Thomas goes #2 overall to SF....especially if they get a QB between now and the draft. 

I get the feeling that NFL scouts/coaches/gms like Thomas a whole lot more than the internet scouts do....just my opinion.

I'm not ready to write off Ogbuehi yet, I'm willing to wait and see what happens after his first ever true off-season with the team.

everybody was writing Kirkpatrick off at one time as well and he turned into a solid player....no reason to believe the same thing can't happen with Ced. 

17 hours ago, spicoli said:

I'm not ready to write off Ogbuehi yet, I'm willing to wait and see what happens after his first ever true off-season with the team.

everybody was writing Kirkpatrick off at one time as well and he turned into a solid player....no reason to believe the same thing can't happen with Ced. 

Dre had the size, build, and most of the technique down from early on. His biggest problems were biting on double moves, getting beat deep, and had questionable tackling. It was tough to praise a young CB that gave up big plays like that. Since then, he's become THE best in the league at guarding the 9 route, has been the only CB running across the field to save big plays, and has at least slightly improved his tackling form. He took his biggest flaws and clearly worked on them. 

Ced has to work on almost every single aspect of being a successful NFL tackle. I know a lot more about CB play than I do line play, I'll openly admit that, but Ced doesn't have the strength at the NFL level and I'm not so sure he's even close with technique either. I've seen a lot of guys that I respect their opinion more than my own as far as the line goes, and not one of them have ever praised any part of Ogbuehi's game. 

Back between 2013 to 2015 I could've talked all day about ways Dre is improving and can improve further and further. I don't think I can do that with Ced, it sucks but he's leaning toward being a lost cause IMO. 

We can't write him off... he is it now
They aren't going to find anyone else this year

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, Jason said:

The main thing Ced needs to fix is how he handles the bull rush. 

But it's not just as simple as that, he gets overpowered (strength), outmatched (punch), and then loses his guy completely (footwork). It's not just 1 thing that leads to losing @ the bull rush, he's outclassed every step of the way by almost everyone he's matched up against.

So yeah, the main thing he needs to work on is every single aspect of being a pass blocking tackle at the NFL level. Awesome lol

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

But it's not just as simple as that, he gets overpowered (strength), outmatched (punch), and then loses his guy completely (footwork). It's not just 1 thing that leads to losing @ the bull rush, he's outclassed every step of the way by almost everyone he's matched up against.

So yeah, the main thing he needs to work on is every single aspect of being a pass blocking tackle at the NFL level. Awesome lol

If he was that bad he would not have been a starter in college, or considered a first round prospect.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

If he was that bad he would not have been a starter in college, or considered a first round prospect.

He was among the NCAA leaders in sacks allowed first of all.

Anyway, he was strong enough to handle college kids, this is the NFL where the big boys play. You can't get away with mediocre strength in the NFL. Not only that but his technique has been questioned even in college. Look at any of the scouting reports on him. He was a project and the project isn't looking great at the moment.

Have you seriously never seen a first round prospect bust before? For real? A lot of players are first round prospects and end up being total dog shit in the NFL, why are you seeming to refuse to believe it's in the realm of possibility that he could be a complete bust?

Seriously, it's 100% illogical to make the claim that a player can't be "that bad" IN THE NFL if he was considered a first round prospect 3 years ago. There is absolutely zero logic behind your stance right now, sorry.

Even so, before the injury everyone had a first round grade on him, and most top 10.  The kid can play, he doesn't need an overhaul, he needs to get stronger and he needs some tweeks.  As for being a bust I'm not going to give anyone that label after 1 full season.  If he's still awfl after this season, then I will be ready to make that call.  Remember also, he's coming out of a college spread offense.  He has the tools, he needs to get better.

I'm willing to give him at least 1 more year.

Not like it makes a difference, neither you nor I have any say in the matter.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Even so, before the injury everyone had a first round grade on him, and most top 10.  The kid can play, he doesn't need an overhaul, he needs to get stronger and he needs some tweeks.

Okay, and most people had a first round grade on about 1,000 players that ended up sucking shit at the NFL level.

I'm sorry man, I just don't think we're going to agree because you're using very illogical arguments to defend Ogbuehi. His draft grade has nothing at all to do with how he's performing in the NFL.

He needs a lot more than some minor tweaks. You don't get twice as strong with a quicker, more focused punch and better footwork overnight. I want everyone on the Bengals to be super, duper awesome and be ultra great prospects for the future, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Honestly, do you realize how difficult it is to adjust ALL of his problems? It's basically like asking for him to be an entirely different human being.

5 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Okay, and most people had a first round grade on about 1,000 players that ended up sucking shit at the NFL level.

I'm sorry man, I just don't think we're going to agree because you're using very illogical arguments to defend Ogbuehi. His draft grade has nothing at all to do with how he's performing in the NFL.

He needs a lot more than some minor tweaks. You don't get twice as strong with a quicker, more focused punch and better footwork overnight. I want everyone on the Bengals to be super, duper awesome and be ultra great prospects for the future, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Honestly, do you realize how difficult it is to adjust ALL of his problems? It's basically like asking for him to be an entirely different human being.

I think you are way overestimating his deficiencies.  As I said in my edited post after you quoted, I'm not going to cast any judgment on him based on 1 full season and no healthy training camps. 

He may well be a bust.  But I think it's too early to make that call.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think you are way overestimating his deficiencies.  As I said in my edited post after you quoted, I'm not going to cast any judgment on him based on 1 full season and no healthy training camps. 

He may well be a bust.  But I think it's too early to make that call.

I think you're way underestimating his deficiencies so I guess we're in a similar (yet opposite) position.

I think way too many NFL fans (not just Bengals) in general throw out "bust" too often so I'm with you if you share that opinion. I see guys in their rookie seasons considered busts and that's a bit over the top IMO. However, Ogbuehi isn't a rookie no matter how much you and others want to point to his play time or training camps. Are you really going to use "he's frequently injured" as a positive? That's too farfetched for me personally. I've seen enough of him where I'm not afraid to voice my displeasure.

If he shows up this year with a magically focused punch while keeping proper form and gains the strength to out muscle most rushers, then I'll be the first person to come on here and apologize to you and anyone else defending him.

I think your valuation of Oogieboogies play is far too high, we're just not going to come to a deal on this one. If you wanted to talk Jake Fisher, we may come to some form of agreement. I think you have your price set too high, and for those reasons, I'm out. /markcuban

I'm looking at guard prospects who can swing out to tackle.

Dorian Johnson was a 5 star prospect at tackle coming out of high school. He's long and lean. 6'5 300 with long arms. Athletic. Scouting report: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/dorian-johnson?id=2557857

Dion Dawkins is built a little more squat. 6'4 314. Long arms. Strong. 3 year starter at left tackle. Scouting report: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/dion-dawkins?id=2557875

Both are graded as early to mid 2nd round picks. They'd give us some flexibility on the offensive line since they can play multiple positions.

4 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I think you're way underestimating his deficiencies so I guess we're in a similar (yet opposite) position.

I think way too many NFL fans (not just Bengals) in general throw out "bust" too often so I'm with you if you share that opinion. I see guys in their rookie seasons considered busts and that's a bit over the top IMO. However, Ogbuehi isn't a rookie no matter how much you and others want to point to his play time or training camps. Are you really going to use "he's frequently injured" as a positive? That's too farfetched for me personally. I've seen enough of him where I'm not afraid to voice my displeasure.

If he shows up this year with a magically focused punch while keeping proper form and gains the strength to out muscle most rushers, then I'll be the first person to come on here and apologize to you and anyone else defending him.

I think your valuation of Oogieboogies play is far too high, we're just not going to come to a deal on this one. If you wanted to talk Jake Fisher, we may come to some form of agreement. I think you have your price set too high, and for those reasons, I'm out. /markcuban

No, his play sucked last year.  I value his talent more than you seem to at this point.

Archived