Whitworth to rams

Just now, MichaelWeston said:

Whit is the only player they had to get back. You match anything for that player. 

Yep, he is the best free agent at an important position. The team doesn't have  an option to replace him internally or in the draft or in free agency. Should have at least matched the Rams offer.

It's Willie Anderson all over again.

This is a business, and anyone who says "Yeah, I'd pass on the extra 3 Million and take a shorter deal and move to Guard..." Is full of it. If your boss came in and asked you to take %25 less money to get demoted because they just hired in this new college kid you'd be PO'ed too.

Thanks for the great years Big Whit.

1 minute ago, happyrid said:

It does make you wonder about that. NFL network is in LA (Carson City). Maybe that had something to do with it. 

I always got the impression that he'd end up back in Louisiana after he retired but maybe he is angling for some sort of media gig. 

Is his wife still a local news anchor somewhere? Maybe she gets a bigger gig in LA and that was part of it.

The bitch of it is it is probably too late to get Zeitler back now regardless of $$$.  They made it so fucking obvious they weren't going to show even an ounce of aggression or desire to realistically sign him that he probably wants to go elsewhere just b/c the front office is living decades behind the rest of the NFL.

2 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

It's Willie Anderson all over again.

This is a business, and anyone who says "Yeah, I'd pass on the extra 3 Million and take a shorter deal and move to Guard..." Is full of it. If your boss came in and asked you to take %25 less money to get demoted because they just hired in this new college kid you'd be PO'ed too.

Thanks for the great years Big Whit.

With Willie, didn't the team have a replacement on hand? With Whitworth, it's open season on Dalton. Since we can't run the ball, our passing game will consist only of routes of less than 10 yards.

10 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

you know... cause he wanted to play for a contender....

He's a FA. He can go wherever he wants. His market was 12 per for 3 years because that's what someone paid him. He owes nothing to this god forsaken franchise. And let's not pretend: he wasn't winning jack shit here either. 

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

With Willie, didn't the team have a replacement on hand? With Whitworth, it's open season on Dalton. Since we can't run the ball, our passing game will consist only of routes of less than 10 yards.

If you listen to Marvin, Fisher and Ogbuehi are "just fine". From their perspective, they had a replacement "on hand".

LT: Ogbuehi LG: Boling C: Bodine RG: T.J. Johnson RT: Fisher

That's our line as of 9AM.

9 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Ah here it is. Let the meltdown begin.

I'm extremely patient and even keeled with this team as I've been a fan for a loooooong time. Not much gets me panicked or down. There is no other way to paint this other than pretty much a disaster. He's a locker room rock and allowed us to take on risks. 

Then take into account his continued on field importance on this team. Terrible news

Whit is the only player they had to get back. You match anything for that player. 

Disagree. Kevin Zeitler is the guy they can't afford to lose.

3yrs/$12mil for a 36 year old tackle is unprecedented. I hate he's leaving, but that's a lot of cheese for a guy at this point in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

This was kind of a no-win situation either way.

I don't think we'd have been thrilled with 3 years, $36M with a bunch of guaranteed money for a 35-year old lineman (who will turn 38 midway through the final season of the deal) either. 

Once Ogbuehi crapped the bed in 2016, we were left with only bad options. 

5 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If you listen to Marvin, Fisher and Ogbuehi are "just fine". From their perspective, they had a replacement "on hand".

LT: Ogbuehi LG: Boling C: Bodine RG: T.J. Johnson RT: Fisher

That's our line as of 9AM.

LOL hahahahahahahaha

I try, I REALLY try to remain optimistic, but should we just go into a rebuild mode once we officially lose Zeitler too?

3yrs/$12mil for a 36 year old tackle is unprecedented. I hate he's leaving, but that's a lot of cheese for a guy at this point in his career.

Agree to a point.. if they resign Dre and Z..I am feeling a lot better.. if all three move on...Yikes!!!!

1 minute ago, fluhartz said:

Agree to a point.. if they resign Dre and Z..I am feeling a lot better.. if all three move on...Yikes!!!!

Even if we keep Kirkpatrick, who is going to run and pass block? Dalton will get killed and no RB in the league will be able to run behind this line.

5 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

No, Whitworth is much harder to replace than Zeitler. That's why 12 mil for a top LT is reasonable while 11 mil for a top RG isn't. 

Sucks to see Whit go but the bengals now absolutely have to get zeitler done. If not I don't know if I'll be able to watch next season. Not because I'm not a fan but because I don't know that I actually want to see Dalton murdered on live tv. 

4 minutes ago, SocalBengalEd said:

We lose Whit but somehow we still have Pacman n Mauluaga on the roster.   FUCK MY LIFE

For the record, I usually think posts like this are huge overreactions (last year when people wanted us to way overpay Sanu/Jones), but this is about it folks.

We have some guys that could easily save us some cash, and we have another guy that we desperately needed to re-sign. What the fuck is going on right now?

Archived