Whitworth to rams

1 year 10 mil guaranteed or
3 years 15 mil guaranteed possible $24.5 mil in first 2 years.
Are some people here seriously thinking he should have stayed?

We reportedly offered him 1 year 10-11 million. He wanted multi year deal. Would have taken less money to stay here if it was a 2-3 year deal.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

I think at least 50% of this "back in my day" is pure nostalgia.  Maybe if you're talking 1963, IDK, but by the 1970's steroids were rampant & the game had very much gone Hollywood.  Those 80's Bengals teams were great & all, but the marketing & abundant cocaine abuse resulted in a feedback loop that gave us crap like this:

So by the 90's everyone is suckling at the ESPN teet and then eventually adopting a salary cap like the advantage of playing in NYC or LA is simply a matter of take-home pay. 

Anyway, point being the NFL was never really this pure, noble entity.  It's a shady enterprise created to provide gambling revenue to organized crime. I know some of you like to think that's some crazy conspiracy theory, but to put it bluntly you don't know WTF you're talking about.  Be honest & say you don't care it's corrupt, but don't claim it's not simply because you don't know any better & can't be bothered to learn.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2012/jul/04/citylights1-nfl-dirty-secret/#

On Thursday, March 09, 2017 at 9:44 AM, sparky151 said:

Why go to the Rams? Bengals should have offered similar money at least. CA has high taxes and the Rams don't look like playoff contenders. Even if he thinks the Bengals aren't contenders either, some team like the Colts or Vikings should want him.

Gotta agree.  The Rams are in rebuild mode and by the time they'll be competitive Whitworth will be in the twilight of his career.

13 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

No worries... I can take it or give it when the situation calls for it. I appreciate another viewpoint, especially when people use common sense, facts, and knowledge to present their side. Le Tigre and I go WAY back... I have broke bread and shared adult beverages with him and know exactly what he's talking about. I haven't reached critical mass yet (although I am close) and that's why I am on this message board. Cheers to you as well!  

The fact you and I were down and dirty in the shit when trolls like this guy were crapping through cloth, always means a helluva lot to me, Chief. You, Numbers, me, and more than a few here were at the dawn of message boards way back when. Now those were the rough and tumble, no moderated, punch-outs, that might even impress the over-fixated with themself types that seem to populate this place. 

Those days are long gone for me--and you well-remember some of the classic back and forths then. I wish there was some archive of those Enquirer Board threads obtainable. Folks like this pontificating peacock always come off like God's gift to us all with the steady stream of stats, summations, verdicts. Then want to go on and on and on with their perfection. Back when, we used to blast the righteous piss out of these types--no holds barred. And the old group were the best around at it. 

His type ask incessantly why we are here if we aren't going to get into these dog-chase-tail diatribes. My unmoderated response would normally be: none of your fucking business, and blow it out of your backside (toned way down of course). But, in reality, I really don't care about "debating" anything anymore, and haven't for a long time. And yet, you will still find folks like us in the tailgate parking lots each home game, sitting in our same seats we have had for decades, and enjoying the hell out of the entire experience and with each other. Those are things that mean something in life. The rest can be Emperors of the Message Boards if it is all that important--but the simple truth is that it is not.

Cheers to you, my friend! 

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

The fact you and I were down and dirty in the shit when trolls like this guy were crapping through cloth, always means a helluva lot to me, Chief. You, Numbers, me, and more than a few here were at the dawn of message boards way back when. Now those were the rough and tumble, no moderated, punch-outs, that might even impress the over-fixated with themself types that seem to populate this place. 

Those days are long gone for me--and you well-remember some of the classic back and forths then. I wish there was some archive of those Enquirer Board threads obtainable. Folks like this pontificating peacock always come off like God's gift to us all with the steady stream of stats, summations, verdicts. Then want to go on and on and on with their perfection. Back when, we used to blast the righteous piss out of these types--no holds barred. And the old group were the best around at it. 

His type ask incessantly why we are here if we aren't going to get into these dog-chase-tail diatribes. My unmoderated response would normally be: none of your fucking business, and blow it out of your backside (toned way down of course). But, in reality, I really don't care about "debating" anything anymore, and haven't for a long time. And yet, you will still find folks like us in the tailgate parking lots each home game, sitting in our same seats we have had for decades, and enjoying the hell out of the entire experience and with each other. Those are things that mean something in life. The rest can be Emperors of the Message Boards if it is all that important--but the simple truth is that it is not.

Cheers to you, my friend! 

This guy

1 hour ago, kennethmw said:

Could teach you a lot!  (Talking about Le Tigre)

About the good ol days of dail up internet, waiting to get the newest AOL upgrade in the mail, so you can login and set the pompous, sanctimonious non believers straight. .But once again you find yourself carrying water for another, maybe you should change your handle to Water Buffalo?

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I think at least 50% of this "back in my day" is pure nostalgia.  Maybe if you're talking 1963, IDK, but by the 1970's steroids were rampant & the game had very much gone Hollywood.  Those 80's Bengals teams were great & all, but the marketing & abundant cocaine abuse resulted in a feedback loop that gave us crap like this:

So by the 90's everyone is suckling at the ESPN teet and then eventually adopting a salary cap like the advantage of playing in NYC or LA is simply a matter of take-home pay. 

Anyway, point being the NFL was never really this pure, noble entity.  It's a shady enterprise created to provide gambling revenue to organized crime. I know some of you like to think that's some crazy conspiracy theory, but to put it bluntly you don't know WTF you're talking about.  Be honest & say you don't care it's corrupt, but don't claim it's not simply because you don't know any better & can't be bothered to learn.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2012/jul/04/citylights1-nfl-dirty-secret/#

Truth

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

This guy

Kisses to you too, Narcissus.

51 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Edit: Nevermind, not worth it. 

I'd highly recommend for anyone reading all of this to be able to hold a conversation like USN Bengal opposed to the other approach. 

As long as you do all of the talking, it goes well. A filibuster is entertaining I suppose. 

But in actuality, you do offer a lot of information to read and check out. It is interesting. If you would just not take on the professorial "dear lad, you err" tone in every response. 

Oh well, as you say, it's not worth it. Carry on. 

11 hours ago, BENgal Solo said:

Gotta agree.  The Rams are in rebuild mode and by the time they'll be competitive Whitworth will be in the twilight of his career.

The Bengals only achievement since Whit has been here is qualifying for the playoffs.  He can get paid substantially more to play for average team with far better weather in a nicer town.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Earthquakes: check. Choking smog: check. Unmanageable traffic: check. Strangling taxation: check. Playing in an overused, crumbling,stadium built in 1923 and in a suburb of Watts: check. 

Yep...great place, who wouldn't want to be there?

Obviously have never spent anytime in Southern California.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

What did he say that was inaccurate?  SoCal is one thing, Los Angeles quite another. 

He is not living in Watts anymore than I lived in downtown Dayton when I worked on 2nd Street.  There are awesome places to live in greater LA, some of the wealthiest people in the world live there, NOT Cincinnati.  The weather is awesome YEAR ROUND, there are a million things to do and they have a beach and ski slopes within 100 miles.

It's laughable that anyone would try to sell Cincinnati over LA to a wealthy person like Whit.  That would be like selling Green Bay over Cincinnati.  As a football program, sure.  Quality of life after football is done?  Child please.

18 minutes ago, SF2 said:

He is not living in Watts anymore than I lived in downtown Dayton when I worked on 2nd Street.  There are awesome places to live in greater LA, some of the wealthiest people in the world live there, NOT Cincinnati.  The weather is awesome YEAR ROUND, there are a million things to do and they have a beach and ski slopes within 100 miles.

It's laughable that anyone would try to sell Cincinnati over LA to a wealthy person like Whit.  That would be like selling Green Bay over Cincinnati.  As a football program, sure.  Quality of life after football is done?  Child please.

I don't see where he tried to sell it over Cincinnati or what he said about it that wasn't true.

I'd agree that if you're going to live in a city it may as well be one where you get the benefits as well as the hassles & Cincinnati is lacking in that regard.  LA is great for art, music, & culture in general.  It's also a place where people go to get famous & the superficiality blankets the city much like the smog. IMO, anyway. I felt like most of the people I met there were working an angle & generally treated everyone else like an extra in their own personal sitcom.  There were exceptions but I don't think you can spend any amount of time there and not notice the pervasive fakeness of the place.

Another thing worth noting, in my accounting at least, is that you can drive <1hr from downtown Cinti and be somewhere green with clean air.  Drive an hour from DTLA and you're in a different part of LA. Plus, for $10m/year, you could afford to buy half a county in SW Ohio. 

Being a pro NFLer will insulate you from a lot in either case, but I can honestly say I'd rather be here than living & working in LA.

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Earthquakes: check. Choking smog: check. Unmanageable traffic: check. Strangling taxation: check. Playing in an overused, crumbling,stadium built in 1923 and in a suburb of Watts: check. 

Yep...great place, who wouldn't want to be there?

and mexicans

I'm disappointed in Whit. Had he gone to a real contender because a ring was paramount as he claimed I would have been happy for him. He can now go rot with the Rams. The payday isn't lost on me but he could have gotten some guaranteed money with a good team too. All I can think is that the great teams didn't want him so he took the most cash possible instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just thinking: the guy is quite prodigious in producing children--what does he have, like 4? They will need a lot of expenses (plus wife) in coming years? Just musing.

And income taxes in California have the highest marginal rates (13.3%) in the nation for people in his bracket. LA County has a 9.5% sales tax rate, to go along with California's 6% plus mandated 1.25% local surcharge, "caps" at 9.75% for both. Plus municipal taxes. 

I can see why he had to have so much guaranteed, and why he needed more money overall. Maybe the tax accountants on this board can see an overall gain monetarily for him other than sheer number increases, but from my layman's viewpoint, it really looks like a ton of his money is going right to the government. I always wonder if these athletes and their agents really ever take state and local taxes--not even factoring federal--into consideration when making deals? 

Remember when Peyton Manning got taxed at more than 100% of his SuperBowl game check for the game vs Seattle? It was played in New Jersey which not only taxes athletes, it has a scam called "duty days" which means he was taxed for 2 weeks of game prep for the Superbowl applied to not only his SuperBowl check but his entire annual salary. 

I do recall that, now that you mention it. 

I also remember, way back when, a pitcher who was being courted by the Montreal Expos, demanded openly a more than double accommodation for Canadian taxes before he would even consider it. And somehow I also recall some net gain Wayne Gretzky got for leaving Edmonton to go to LA. 

Archived