Et tu, Zeitler?

9 minutes ago, whodey365 said:

Ced takes LT, Fisher to RT? Should be fun. 

Well, we knew that Zeitler was gone. Bengals didn't even make an effort to resign him.

Honestly, we were always an injury away from having to start Ced or Fish even if Whit was resigned.

I'm not thrilled by it, but the sky isn't falling either.

Personally, I think we over-rated Z on this board.   I saw him get beat and pushed back into the play plenty last year.  We focus on Jethro being bad, but Z really didn't look outstanding in our scheme.  I would have been pissed if we tied up $12 M on him.

12 hours ago, Dr Tarzan said:

Personally, I think we over-rated Z on this board.   I saw him get beat and pushed back into the play plenty last year.  We focus on Jethro being bad, but Z really didn't look outstanding in our scheme.  I would have been pissed if we tied up $12 M on him.

Did you ever happen to watch him play without the turnstile brothers on each side of him? 

Maybe, just maybe, and I could be crazy... But maybe the problem was the right side of the line getting thrashed because of the weak links and we should have upgraded around Zeitler instead of letting him walk. 

There's a report somewhere saying we didn't even give the guy a single offer LOL

16 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Did you ever happen to watch him play without the turnstile brothers on each side of him? 

Maybe, just maybe, and I could be crazy... But maybe the problem was the right side of the line getting thrashed because of the weak links and we should have upgraded around Zeitler instead of letting him walk. 

There's a report somewhere saying we didn't even give the guy a single offer LOL

They were giving him offers since the beginning of his fourth season.  It does take two to tango.

47 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

They were giving him offers since the beginning of his fourth season.  It does take two to tango.

Can't tango with someone unwilling to learn the steps. Mikey refuses to pay for guards even if they develop into one of the leagues best.

In 2017 you pay top guards $10-12M+, that's the new number. NFL contracts aren't what they were even 4 or 5 years ago. The cap has increased something crazy like almost 40% since 2011 or 2012 I believe.

Zeitler played this pefectly.  He bet on hitting free agency and he hit the jackpot, making more than Osemele or Decastro.  The only way the Bengals could have kept him is if he had signed last off season and by all accounts they lowballed him.  Sucks to lose a player in his prime who turned out to be a great player, but the contract was crazy.  I think they might have kept him if he had settled for Decastro's contract ($10 million per year).

Archived