Dre plays on with Bengals

Posted 12 minutes ago

hobson60x60.jpg Geoff Hobson Editor Bengals.com Follow Me Blog

The Bengals won their first AFC game of the year Thursday when they outmuscled the Stealers and Titans to re-sign starting cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick on a five-year deal believed be worth more than $50 million.

The Bengals, who are looking at spending about $15-20 million in salary cap room for this year, began Thursday trying to keep both Kirkpatrick and left tackle Andrew Whitworth. In order to keep their secondary intact, they were mulling moving salaries at other position groups but when Whitworth opted for a three-year, $36 million deal with the Rams they were able to get Kirkpatrick done without making another move.

Throw in wide receiver Brandon LaFell’s two-year deal that has a cap hit of about $4 million and the Bengals can make one or two more medium signings.

With Adam Jones, the other starting cornerback, possibly facing NFL discipline, inking Kirkpatrick is a huge get. At 27 and heading into his sixth season, he’s coming off what is basically his second full year. He shared the team lead interceptions with three and in 978 snaps only allowed two touchdown passes while profootballfocus.com charted the quarterback rating to his targets at just 68.9, 16th best in the NFL.

Just now, Jamie_B said:

Throw in wide receiver Brandon LaFell’s two-year deal that has a cap hit of about $4 million and the Bengals can make one or two more medium signings.

FML... The Charges had the highest rookie payroll last year at $9M for their draft picks.

We don't need to hold on to $10M to sign Eric Winston and Bullock in week 8.

Can we send Katie a copy of "The NFL Salary Cap for Dummies"?

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

1 out of 3 ain't good but it's better than nothing 

yep.. If Dre had left too.. I would have been in full pissed off mode... as of now I am a little there...

I worry about Andy's health.... 

But I know Hill will still be hitting those holes.... amiright!!!!!!!!!!

16 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

FML... The Charges had the highest rookie payroll last year at $9M for their draft picks.

We don't need to hold on to $10M to sign Eric Winston and Bullock in week 8.

Can we send Katie a copy of "The NFL Salary Cap for Dummies"?

Burfict is probably going to get a big raise this offseason too. Hopefully Eifert as well.

We can't keep letting so many guys get to free agency. 

Hobson's article quoted above has been updated with this text:

"With Kirkpatrick counting about $10 million against the cap this year and wide receiver Brandon LaFell another $5 million, the Bengals only have about $2-3 million for another deal to fit in under the $16-18 million they have budgeted to spend.

That could be running back Rex Burkhead or a linebacker or an offensive lineman out on the market. But anything beyond that and they’ll probably have to start cutting some players. And they won’t sign any unrestricted free agents to avoid harming their haul of compensatory draft picks for 2018. They believe they walked out of Thursday with a third-rounder for Zeitler and a fifth-rounder for Whitworth."

I honestly have no words...

2 hours ago, happyrid said:

Burfict is probably going to get a big raise this offseason too. Hopefully Eifert as well.

We can't keep letting so many guys get to free agency. 

We don't have the cap space for either to get a big raise.

24 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

"And they won’t sign any unrestricted free agents to avoid harming their haul of compensatory draft picks for 2018. They believe they walked out of Thursday with a third-rounder for Zeitler and a fifth-rounder for Whitworth."

Lmfao

He words that as if it's some kind of victory to lose two of your best players. 

Everything surrounding this organization is a joke. Fuckin' goofs. 

41 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

And they won’t sign any unrestricted free agents to avoid harming their haul of compensatory draft picks for 2018. They believe they walked out of Thursday with a third-rounder for Zeitler and a fifth-rounder for Whitworth.

"We could sign guys who can play, but why screw up getting a late 5th rounder next year?"

Seriously... You let a Pro-Bowler go and you're geeked about getting a f***ing 5th round pick? In related news, Mike Brown refused to drive to the combine because it would kill the trade in value on his '91 Lumia.

21 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

"We could sign guys who can play, but why screw up getting a late 5th rounder next year?"

Seriously... You let a Pro-Bowler go and you're geeked about getting a f***ing 5th round pick? In related news, Mike Brown refused to drive to the combine because it would kill the trade in value on his '91 Lumia.

Days like this I try to laugh at this team and remember there are better things to worry about in life. Whenever I hear about Mikey's Lumina I remember this classic article from 1998: http://www.enquirer.com/editions/1998/12/26/spt_mb2020.html

My
favorite excerpt...

"Mike still feeds the birds and squirrels and raccoon and deer. Still has a copy of Roger Tory Peterson's Field Guide to the Birds at the ready on a side table. Still drives a gray Chevy Lumina, still wears the same brown-tweed sports jacket, wing-tipped shoes and button-down Oxford shirts.

Still eschews the modern conveniences. Doesn't turn on the air-conditioning at home until the thermometer hits 90. Won't have anything to do with car phones. Doesn't own an answering machine.

Still reveres the memory of his dad; has a 3-foot-high pile of history and philosophy books on the nightstand, loves chocolate and any flavor of Graeter's Ice Cream.

Still has the Ohio State umbrella in the back of his car, still cues up the Ohio State marching band cassette. Still "gets a kick" out of the continuing football soap opera All My Bengals by Gary Burbank on WLW radio on the rare occasions he hears it.

Still sends his wife a dozen long-stemmed roses on their wedding anniversary (34th) and on her birthday.

Still will sign his autograph "Mikey-Boy," if you ask.

But a family of mice have settled under the hood of the car of Mike's wife, Nancy. The mice spend their nights there, with the food they've collected. Nancy is going to get the car to a mechanic one day soon. Right now, she can't even turn on the car's heater without hearing a terrible clatter."

Archived