2-3 Million left per Hobson

10 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Considering Whitworth gave up 4 last year, my guess is that's a Bullshit stat.

Who gave up a sack is subjective. You could think it was the LG on a play where I'd call it on the C for example. I'll try to find out where the source came from stat wise but I saw that via Ken Broo's Twitter.

Even in a worst case scenario for Whit/Zeitler, the combination of them gave up FAR less sacks than the weaker links on the line, making the logic of "fuck them we don't need them because our line wasn't good" still utter nonsense. Again, would it be OK to let Geno go if our d-line was underperforming? You don't logically claim that it's fine to get rid of your strongest links when the unit underperforms.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

Who gave up a sack is subjective. You could think it was the LG on a play where I'd call it on the C for example. I'll try to find out where the source came from stat wise but I saw that via Ken Broo's Twitter.

If it's subjective, then why use it?  I'll agree to the idea that Whit and Z were the two best linemen last year.  However, the line is a team, so they all had issues.

14 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Even in a worst case scenario for Whit/Zeitler, the combination of them gave up FAR less sacks than the weaker links on the line, making the logic of "fuck them we don't need them because our line wasn't good" still utter nonsense. Again, would it be OK to let Geno go if our d-line was underperforming? You don't logically claim that it's fine to get rid of your strongest links when the unit underperforms.

Ok, you decided to edit your post.  No one has said " Fuck them", but some folks have some said they were overpaid, and in Zietler's case, massively.  Going into this season, if you had said Z should get 10 million a season, folks would have said you were brain dead, but now he's worth 12.  Sure.

50 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

If it's subjective, then why use it?  I'll agree to the idea that Whit and Z were the two best linemen last year.  However, the line is a team, so they all had issues.

Because it shows that you can't just look at the line and say "okay they gave up a lot of sacks as a unit so it doesn't matter if we lose any 2 of them" because it does, it matters a LOT actually. When you lose the best 2 it's a hell of a lot of a difference. Yes, the exact number is subjective, but the fact that multiple sources have Whit at some number between 0 - 2 on the year tells you something, same with Zeitler. Some people just refuse to admit when the Bengals do anything wrong, it's crazy. God forbid we give a previously bad team credit for making a good move too, you get crucified for that shit around these parts. El Tiger and others run around thread to thread making condescending remarks toward anyone and everyone if even 1 person on the entire board mentions the Rams or Browns making a smart signing.

35 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Ok, you decided to edit your post.  No one has said " Fuck them", but some folks have some said they were overpaid, and in Zietler's case, massively.  Going into this season, if you had said Z should get 10 million a season, folks would have said you were brain dead, but now he's worth 12.  Sure.

Nah, that's not accurate. My argument wasn't in response to anybody saying they were "overpaid". My argument was to combat the quote " We lost two guys of an offensive line that was pretty bad. " That's just illogical to insinuate that it's somehow positive (or not a big negative) to lose our 2 best linemen just because they happened to play on a mediocre line. That's what I was responding to, and my logic holds up against that statement. I'm not arguing against anyone about overpaid, underpaid, or anything in between right now.

Archived