Salvage the offseason

It's not too late, let's talk about things that will never happen but would make you content with the Bengals roster going into the 2017-2018 season. If you're handed the keys to the Lumina, what do you do? Forget comp picks, we need to field a team of NFL caliber players! Here's mine:

CUTS - Adam Jones, Rey Maualuga

SIGN - TJ Lang ($10M), Morris Claiborne ($8M), Zach Brown ($5M), Rex Burkhead ($3M), Gilberry ($1M), Peerman ($1M), Winston ($1.5M)

EXTEND - Burfict

DRAFT - LB or pass rush in the 1st, address the line in the 2nd and 3rd unless it's a crazy reach, BPA through the rest

Unless these guys would cost WAY more than I'm guessing, and I tried to go high on a couple of them, we could afford to do all of this and easily afford our draft picks. Sorry though, no obscene injury fund or rollover to next season. We can worry about next season once we get there. Let's fucking win if we can do something about LT/RT. There is hot garbage available at T/G in free agency, so I only picked Lang because he's best available even though he's likely to end up in Seattle soon.

The problem isn't that's it's impossible to fix our offseason, it's that the management isn't inclined to. They pride themselves on not cutting players for cap reasons. It's a form of vanity that should be stomped out but they think of it as a virtue ("being good to their word" or some such).

Cutting Jones would've been great but they had every opportunity & reason to do so and chose to ignore the issue.

Beyond that, it's not really the roster I'm concerned with, it's the coaching.  Trading old under-performing, unprepared talent for new under-performing, unprepared talent doesn't really excite me. 

I'd agree with most of the OP but would also cut Johnson.

i don't care what happens with the rest of the offseason, it would be nearly impossible for the Bengals to bounce back. They'd need to trade McCarron for two really good picks, package some of their other picks, and try to get as high as they can in the draft with as many picks as they can to have a chance for refueling the team. Don't care if they end up with only 5 picks after packaging as much as possible, if those 5 are all in the top 120 it will be worth it. Have to come out of this draft with 3 solid/very good immediate starters

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Cutting Jones would've been great but they had every opportunity & reason to do so and chose to ignore the issue.

Beyond that, it's not really the roster I'm concerned with, it's the coaching.  Trading old under-performing, unprepared talent for new under-performing, unprepared talent doesn't really excite me. 

Im hoping it was just to hedge their bet for dre.

and yes- the coaching is brutal.

My attempt at salvaging the offseason:

Re-sign

Rex Burkhead - Good ST and back. Should be cheap.

Sign

DE Connor Barwin - Replaces the snaps lost by Gilberry. Cut so doesnt count against comp picks.

OT Will Beatty - Has experience at both left and right tackle.

Trade

A.J. McCarron to Jets for 2017 2nd round pick

Draft

1. LB Hasson Reddick, Temple

2a (from Jets). RB Joe Mixon, Oklahoma

2b. DE Tanoh Kpassgnon, Villanovan

3. OL Ethan Pocic, LSU

4a. CB Jaylen Myrick, Minnesota

4 (comp). WR Taywon Taylor, WKU

5a. OG/OT Jessaman Dunker, Tennessee State

5 (comp). DT Jarron Jones, Notre Dame

6a. QB Josh Dobbs, Tennessee