The remaining Questions

It's been a whirlwind first few days. The flury of Bengals activity has left fans exhausted as we inch into the new week. Despite all the activity there are still a few offseason questions for the team. 

QB: Will McCarron be traded? If so who replaces him. A look at the QB Carousel says that maybe Jets or Texans could want a QB. The Texans are consistently our playoff rival so I doubt he goes there. 

RB: Will Peerman and/or Burkhead be back? If so do we still draft a RB? Because the RB position comes cheaply in Free Agency does it make sense to sign a more proven commodity (the market is full of them now Lacey-Peterson-Charles-Murray)?

WR: After re-signing LaFell, how early do we draft someone?

TE: If OJ Howard is BPA at 9 do we go that way?

OL: Who plays LT, RT. RG? Is Bodines improvement for real? Could this be the worst line in the league?

DT: Who starts at the Nose? Billings, Sims?

DE: How early do we draft a DE? Would Barwin fit the rotation? With Barwin do we still draft a DE in round 1?

LB: How good is Vigil? Because basically 2 LBs play does it make sense to draft a LB high if Vigil is expected to take on of those 2 spots?

S: Is Shawn Williams good?

CB: is this the best position on the team now even though there isn't a shut down corner?

RB: Will Peerman and/or Burkhead be back? If so do we still draft a RB? Because the RB position comes cheaply in Free Agency does it make sense to sign a more proven commodity (the market is full of them now Lacey-Peterson-Charles-Murray)?

I could see them taking a FA back if the got real value for $$$.  I'd still consider someone like Mixon in the middle rounds.  If they sign one (or re-sign Burkhead) and draft one I'd see Hill as an early camp trade/cut.

I'd still look for a middle round outside guy

No

OL: Who plays LT, RT. RG? Is Bodines improvement for real? Could this be the worst line in the league?

I don't expect them to, but it wouldn't shock me if they traded down out of 9 if the top pass rushers are gone and they really like Cam Robinson

Billings

DE: How early do we draft a DE? Would Barwin fit the rotation? With Barwin do we still draft a DE in round 1?

I said elsewhere that Barwin struck me as a Bengal-type move, but if Barnett, Charlton, Thomas (falling) or even DT Allen (doubtful) is there when they pick and they're high on them, I'd expect them to take them in spite of Barwin.  If not, then I think they go pass rusher in the 2nd.  Guessing Johnson is a camp cut.

LB: How good is Vigil? Because basically 2 LBs play does it make sense to draft a LB high if Vigil is expected to take on of those 2 spots?

IMO, Vigil starts @ Mike or Sam and they draft the third starter or sign a journeyman FA

Meh. They will draft someone AND maybe sign a 2nd tier FA to push him

CB: is this the best position on the team now even though there isn't a shut down corner?

Not too bad, but I'd still try to find a good fourth CB to go with Dre, Darqueze and Jackson in the 2-deep.

My guess on picks?

OL - 2 (an interior and a tackle)

WR - 1 (outside/potential #2)

RB - 1

DL - 2 (a DT & a DE)

LB - 2 (an inside & an outside)

CB - 1 (4th CB)

S -  1 (to push Williams)

PK - 1 (to push Bullock)

I don't think AJ gets traded in time for the draft. I think if he's traded it will be a team in contention loses their starter to injury and gets desperate.  

I think Peerman is back and Burkhead is gone and they draft a guy in 3 or later. 

They will draft a speed WR at some point but probably not in 1

Howard won't be BPA unless they trade down. 

Even if they sign a free agent I think they draft a T and a G. How early they take the T would be impacted by signing a FA. I don't think they draft a center they mean to replace Bodine  

Even if they sign Barwin I think they draft a DE in the first 3 rounds and maybe in 1. 

They could still draft LB in 1 if BPA. 

Still talented at CB if somewhat unproven. 

I think Williams can play. I think a lot of the early issues last year were largely communication related. 

10 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I'm so torn on our 1st rounder.  I want either OJ Howard, Reddick or Foster.  

The case for Howard:

• With our struggles on the o-line, playing him and Eifert together will help
  • Our red zone offense will be really good w/ Eifert, Howard and AJ
  • If we make the 2 TE set our base offense we'll be really unpredictable
  • Howard was rated as the best blocking TE by PFF, this will help our running game
  • When/if Eifert gets hurt, we'd still have a really good TE to start
  • We've seen how this team is with resigned it's own top level players this year...when it's time to get Eifert back, if we mess up we're still ok at that position

The case for Reddick:

• He's better in coverage than Foster
  • Can be used as a DE in sub packages (or keep him in coverage)
  • Makes our defense versatile since he can play multiple positions
  • Speed -- and God knows our defense needs speed
  • Good work ethic...didn't have a scholarship and worked his way into one 

The case for Foster:

• Widely considered the best LB in the draft
  • Decent in coverage
  • Biggest hitter in the draft and putting him next to Burfict will cause some havoc
  • Playing for 'Bama he's played against the highest levels of competition (a lot of times his team had the best talent, but that's always a knock vs. Alabama players)

Bottom line is I'd be happy with any three of these players at #9

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

I'm so torn on our 1st rounder.  I want either OJ Howard, Reddick or Foster.  

The case for Howard:

• With our struggles on the o-line, playing him and Eifert together will help
  • Our red zone offense will be really good w/ Eifert, Howard and AJ
  • If we make the 2 TE set our base offense we'll be really unpredictable
  • Howard was rated as the best blocking TE by PFF, this will help our running game
  • When/if Eifert gets hurt, we'd still have a really good TE to start
  • We've seen how this team is with resigned it's own top level players this year...when it's time to get Eifert back, if we mess up we're still ok at that position

The case for Reddick:

• He's better in coverage than Foster
  • Can be used as a DE in sub packages (or keep him in coverage)
  • Makes our defense versatile since he can play multiple positions
  • Speed -- and God knows our defense needs speed
  • Good work ethic...didn't have a scholarship and worked his way into one 

The case for Foster:

• Widely considered the best LB in the draft
  • Decent in coverage
  • Biggest hitter in the draft and putting him next to Burfict will cause some havoc
  • Playing for 'Bama he's played against the highest levels of competition (a lot of times his team had the best talent, but that's always a knock vs. Alabama players)

Bottom line is I'd be happy with any three of these players at #9

I just can't get excited about OJ Howard. Going with two TEs will mostly just mean more men in the box. And we already have 1st, 3rd and 5th rounders at the position along with Hewitt (FB/TE) who is making pretty decent money ($2.5M per year). 

I've warmed up to Reddick at 9 though. He is going to be a really good player. Not sure the value totally matches up at 9, but I think you can say that about all of the realistic options at 9 in a class that is lacking in elite talents. 

I wish Foster wasn't only 229 pounds. Might be tough to stay healthy in the NFL at that size. 

1 minute ago, happyrid said:

I just can't get excited about OJ Howard. Going with two TEs will mostly just mean more men in the box. And we already have 1st, 3rd and 5th rounders at the position along with Hewitt (FB/TE) who is making pretty decent money ($2.5M per year). 

I've warmed up to Reddick at 9 though. He is going to be a really good player. Not sure the value totally matches up at 9, but I think you can say that about all of the realistic options at 9 in a class that is lacking in elite talents. 

I wish Foster wasn't only 229 pounds. Might be tough to stay healthy in the NFL at that size. 

With OJ Howard, if they put an extra man in the box, you throw the ball.  Him, AJ and Eifert all all matchup nightmares in 1-on-1 coverage.  Also, more men in the box means you're 1 broken tackle away from a big play in the running game.  Also just b/c you're in a 2 TE set doesn't mean you can't split OJ or Eifert out wide...or both.  I think this give the offense tons of options.  Plus, in pass pro both don't have to go out each time, if there's a blitz from a certain side, or a tackle is struggling, you can have an extra TE over there.

As for Reddick, I don't know about is value either, but if the coaching staff thinks he'll have a better career than Foster, you take him without looking back.

Foster - I read somewhere he actually had to lose weight. Some places have him listed at 245. 

8 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

With OJ Howard, if they put an extra man in the box, you throw the ball.  Him, AJ and Eifert all all matchup nightmares in 1-on-1 coverage.  Also, more men in the box means you're 1 broken tackle away from a big play in the running game.  Also just b/c you're in a 2 TE set doesn't mean you can't split OJ or Eifert out wide...or both.  I think this give the offense tons of options.  Plus, in pass pro both don't have to go out each time, if there's a blitz from a certain side, or a tackle is struggling, you can have an extra TE over there.

As for Reddick, I don't know about is value either, but if the coaching staff thinks he'll have a better career than Foster, you take him without looking back.

Foster - I read somewhere he actually had to lose weight. Some places have him listed at 245. 

I believe he played in the 240s in 2015 but lost weight to get faster in 2016. Foster reportedly played in the 220s this past year and weighed in at 229 at the combine last week. He's also an even 6'0. For comparison's sake, Vigil was 6'2, 239 at the combine last year. 

Foster's not tiny, but if you're drafting an inside LB in the top 10, you want him to check all the boxes IMO and 240+ is ideal. 

I'm not really knocking your choices btw. I'm not super excited about any of the realistic options. Reddick and Foster are amongst my favorite options too even if I think both are a bit of a reach in the top 10. 

12 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

It's been a whirlwind first few days. The flury of Bengals activity has left fans exhausted as we inch into the new week. Despite all the activity there are still a few offseason questions for the team. 

QB: Will McCarron be traded? If so who replaces him. A look at the QB Carousel says that maybe Jets or Texans could want a QB. The Texans are consistently our playoff rival so I doubt he goes there. 

I think Peerman is probably done. He's 31 and it's a deep RB draft. Still think after Burkhead shops around, the Bengals will end up matching his best offer and keep him for $3M a year or something like that.

My guess is 3rd or 4th round. Think they want a speedy deep threat to immediately battle Core for #4 receiver and potentially bump up to #2 to replace LaFell at some point.

I can't see it. He looks like more of a mid-1st and TE is near the bottom of our list of needs. 

Ogbuehi and Fisher at LT and RT. Who knows on RT. Could be Johnson, Westerman, a FA or a 2nd/3rd round rookie. 

They seem pretty excited about Billings and it sounds like he's penciled in as the starter.

Still think DE is the most likely pick in round 1. If not 1st, probably 2nd or 3rd round. 

Sounds like Vigil is penciled in as the starting SLB, but we don't know how good he will be. With sub packages, you play only 2 about 1/3rd of the time. If the Bengals draft a LB early, I could see Vigil playing 50% of the snaps, with the rookie and Burfict both playing 80% of the snaps. 

He was our highest rated DB on PFF. I think he's a solid starter. With as many holes as we have, he is very low on my list of worries.

Depends upon how good Jackson is. He's the big Wild Card. If he shows he's a legit 1st round talent, then yes CB is the best position on the team. 

9 minutes ago, happyrid said:

I believe he played in the 240s in 2015 but lost weight to get faster in 2016. Foster reportedly played in the 220s this past year and weighed in at 229 at the combine last week. He's also an even 6'0. For comparison's sake, Vigil was 6'2, 239 at the combine last year. 

Foster's not tiny, but if you're drafting an inside LB in the top 10, you want him to check all the boxes IMO and 240+ is ideal. 

I'm not really knocking your choices btw. I'm not super excited about any of the realistic options. Reddick and Foster are amongst my favorite options too even if I think both are a bit of a reach in the top 10. 

I'm with you, 220-230 is fairly light for a MLB -- I guess thinking about it he does look on the lighter side in most of his online tape.

10 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I'm with you, 220-230 is fairly light for a MLB -- I guess thinking about it he does look on the lighter side in most of his online tape.

The game has changed though.  There aren't many 235+ pound RBs anymore.  It's a passing league now.

Just now, Jason said:

The game has changed though.  There aren't many 235+ pound RBs anymore.  It's a passing league now.

Agreed, but when you run into those teams with bigger back it'll be a problem.  One of the reasons I like D'Onte Freeman from Texas if we can't get our hands on Mixon.

6 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Agreed, but when you run into those teams with bigger back it'll be a problem.  One of the reasons I like D'Onte Freeman from Texas if we can't get our hands on Mixon.

Not necessarily.  I remember Antoine Winfield in college taking down Ron Dayne 1 on 1.  That is an extreme example, but with good technique size isn't a major factor.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Not necessarily.  I remember Antoine Winfield in college taking down Ron Dayne 1 on 1.  That is an extreme example, but with good technique size isn't a major factor.

That's great in the 1st quarter, but after 20+ carries, no one wants to tackle a 240+ lb. running back coming at you downhill.  I don't think it's about one tackle, but trying to tackle someone that big all game wears you down and in the 2nd half of the game you'll normally see more broken tackles.

With all the above said then where do the early needs seem to be in the draft. 

QB-No

RB-No (I just don't believe in RBs this early)

WR-With LaFell here I think that we don't take a WR in round 1 but probably one as early as the 2nd round and definitely one before 4. Corey Davis-Mike Williams-John Ross

TE-This is a deep TE draft. I wouldn't be surprised if they target taking Butt if he falls. 

OL-Definitely a need. If we trade down it will be to take an OL. We definitely take one or 2 in the top 4 rounds. 

DT-Probably not

DE-We need a playmaker at the end position. Must draft one early. Top 3 rounds. Solomon Thomas-Taco Charlton

LB-This is dependent on Burfict and Vigil. If you think highly of Vigil's potential and you plan to re-sign Burfict long term then you can't draft a 3rd LB you won't use that often. If they think they want to move on without Burfict or Vigil won't be special than it's Hasaan Reddick or Rueben Foster

S-I don't believe in Shaun Williams but lots of smart people do. We could upgrade with Malik Hooker or Jamal Adams IMO

CB-We have 7 guys on the roster right now who could start at CB this year and I wouldn't be surprised. This is a deep CB draft too. 

I think that I am at Solomon Thomas or trade down and get the T from Wisconsin. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Not just about the RBs though. The LBs spend half their day trying to get off of blocks from 300+ pound guards (or take them on and try not to get pushed back). 

With the way Foster plays, he's one of the rare undersized guys that I'm not too worried about his effectiveness. But I do worry about his ability to stay healthy at that size. Especially here where he'd probably play MLB and our scheme calls for a lot of time up in the box stopping the run. 

12 hours ago, Jason said:

Don't focus on need at 9.  Or anywhere else for that matter.  They will address OG, OT, WR, edge, and RB, but they will generally take BPA at most picks.

I agree with this for the most part, but I think that they have a group of players that are rated very closely and they choose the one that they need/want the most from that group.  So if they have OJ Howard, Solomon Thomas and Dalvin Cook all rated about the same, and Cook is slightly higher, I could see them going with one of the first two.

Archived