Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
akiliMVP

Burkead a Patriot

58 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, cnbengal said:

Mark it down, he'll have a better season than jeremy hill and possibly gio and I'll go so far to say a better rest of his career than hill

 

I haven't gone so far as to crunch the numbers, but Hill sure seemed like a different guy lined up behind Hewitt.  What the hell happened to him?  Why'd they keep him on the roster, the odd Zamkowski shovel pass?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patriots bring in guys who understand their roles and understand what it means to be a team guy....Bengals let them walk and keep guys like PacMan....and will try to go after Mixon.  There is a reason that the Pats are who they are...they get smart guys who buy into the program.  The ones who don't (Chad) they let walk and cut their minimal losses. 

 

Good for Rex......Marv and company wouldn't utilize him if he were here anyways...only reason he got snaps was because Hill and Gio were hurt.  The guy makes plays, churns out 100+ yard game, and leaves it all on the field.....and he would have been 3rd of the depth chart.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

I haven't gone so far as to crunch the numbers, but Hill sure seemed like a different guy lined up behind Hewitt.  What the hell happened to him?  Why'd they keep him on the roster, the odd Zamkowski shovel pass?

The puzzling part of that is not only did they keep him on the roster, but with a contract extension of $2.5M per year average. That is pennies for an NFL contract nowadays, but that's a lot for the Bengals to spend at his position if they aren't going to use him.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hewitt is the second highest paid fullback in the league...behind that big (but smart) contract SF just gave to Juszczyk...at like 5 million a year.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The New England Patriots have dipped into the free agent running back market, bypassing high-profile names like Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, Latavius Murray, Eddie Lacy, and, for now, LeGarrette Blount to sign ex-Cincinnati back Rex Burkhead.

In his four years with the Bengals, Burkhead excelled on several special teams' units. He also exhibited the skills of a productive NFL running back, albeit in a small sample size.

Here is what you should know about Burkhead:

**Injuries late in the year to Bengals running backs Gio Bernard and Jeremy Hill opened the door for Burkhead. In Week 17 against Baltimore, which boasted the NFL's fifth-best run defense, Burkhead churned out 119 yards and two touchdowns on 27 carries. He totaled 67 yards from scrimmage on 16 touches the previous week versus the Texans.

**So what type of back is Burkhead?

He is listed at 5-foot-10, 210 pounds. He hits the hole hard and runs with a combination of vision and decisiveness. While Burkhead does not bowl over defenders a la Eddie Lacy or LeGarrette Blount, he runs with a forward lean and appears to finish each carry.

The two traits that stood out from watching him in extended action: His vision and acceleration through the hole.

Initial impressions of Rex Burkhead: Good vision, burst through the hole. Turned this into a 9-yard gain. Not a lot of wiggle, though. pic.twitter.com/0hGaiDpQQE

-- Kevin Duffy (@KevinRDuffy) March 14, 2017

"He proved today, man, he can run the football. I'd take him as a No. 1 any day of the week," Bengals tackle Andrew Whitworth said after Burkhead's breakout 119-yard performance versus the Ravens, via Bengals.com. "I don't think there's too many teams where he wouldn't fit. He runs the ball well. He's got great agility. He's got eyes, he's got it all. The whole team has wanted him to get his opportunity and see what he does. Especially the defensive players because they know what Rex used to do to them. He's a talented kid."

He did not exhibit Dion Lewis-like wiggle or change-of-direction, but his style was unquestionably effective when given carries.

Burkhead flashed some agility as a receiver in the open field. In Week 13 versus the Eagles, he lined up out wide on a 3rd-and-4 and sidestepped two Philly defenders --safety Malcolm Jenkins and linebacker Mychal Kendricks -- en route to a 17-yard gain (he did fumble at the end of the play, though).

Other than this play, Burkhead's pass-catching exploits out of the backfield were of the screen and checkdown variety. Traditional stuff.

**How will Burkhead fit with the current Patriots backfield?

Tough to say at this point.

He is not exactly like Dion Lewis, who has superior lateral quickness and the ability to make defenders miss in tight spaces. James White, meanwhile, is an accomplished receiver with the ability to dodge defenders in the open field.

Burkhead might be an adept receiver, too. He seems to have the athleticism to become an effective pass-catcher in the Patriots' system. He just needs to learn how to run routes from different spots on the field.

Asked last year about then-Patriots tailback Donald Brown lining up out wide, New England running backs coach Ivan Fears said, "Hey, we don't know. We haven't seen it. That doesn't mean he can't do it. I'll put it to you this way: I didn't think James White could do it out there like that, but I'm telling you what, once you get out there, those guys, they've got some sh-- about them."

The same could be said about Burkhead entering this 2017 season.

**Based on his small sample size as the Bengals' starter, Burkhead looks like he is equipped to handle an expanded role. As someone who waited four years for his chance in Cincinnati, it would make little sense for him to sign in New England if the Patriots only planned on using him for special teams (like Brandon Bolden). Burkhead should have some type of role in the backfield. 

The exact nature of that role depends on the Patriots' other acquisitions.

Will the team bring back LeGarrette Blount? Will the Pats draft a bigger back in the middle rounds?

We'll have a better feel for the Pats backfield by the end of April.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheBeaverHunter said:

Hewitt is the second highest paid fullback in the league...behind that big (but smart) contract SF just gave to Juszczyk...at like 5 million a year.

 

Yep it's crazy. $2.5M doesn't seem like a lot but for a fullback that's a number where you'd assume you'd see him on the field more often.

I mean, 20% of snaps (his 2016 number) actually isn't super low compared to the average amount of offensive snaps you see guys like him get around the league, but he's playing ST a lot less than comparable players on other teams. It's odd to say the least.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheBeaverHunter said:

Patriots bring in guys who understand their roles and understand what it means to be a team guy....Bengals let them walk and keep guys like PacMan....and will try to go after Mixon.  There is a reason that the Pats are who they are...they get smart guys who buy into the program.  The ones who don't (Chad) they let walk and cut their minimal losses. 

 

Good for Rex......Marv and company wouldn't utilize him if he were here anyways...only reason he got snaps was because Hill and Gio were hurt.  The guy makes plays, churns out 100+ yard game, and leaves it all on the field.....and he would have been 3rd of the depth chart.

Yep, the Pats do things right. 

They only let their QB and HC break the rules. 

 

 

 

:lol: 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jason said:

Yep, the Pats do things right. 

They only let their QB and HC break the rules. 

 

 

 

:lol: 

Yeah the fact that they videotaped the Jets from a different location than they were allowed and a ball being a couple PSI underinflated got them those 5 Super Bowls and a billion winning seasons in a row.

Fucking cheating pieces of shit don't understand how to manage a team.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yep, the Pats do things right. 

They only let their QB and HC break the rules. 

 

 

 

:lol: 

I mean they  could be like the prestigious Bengals organization....They let their players spit on cops and tell them they hope they die.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheBeaverHunter said:

I mean they  could be like the prestigious Bengals organization....They let their players spit on cops and tell them they hope they die.

At least the Patriots "letting their QB and HC break the rules" has gotten them somewhere.

Marvin could pump his players full of PEDs, jump on the field to interfere with a kick returner, pull Reggie Nelson's hair, underinflate the balls, violate the salary cap, lie on the injury report, get caught gambling on his own team, along with whatever the fuck else he wants to do if it brings us 5 championships.

Put me on the list for not giving a shit what happens once we win 5 Super Bowls within a 15 year span.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rex was probably thinking what the hell is going on.  Hill was good 1/2 season out of 3 seasons and Rex cant break into the starting lineup.  So he left.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Rex was probably thinking what the hell is going on.  Hill was good 1/2 season out of 3 seasons and Rex cant break into the starting lineup.  So he left.

This.  

When the best organization in the league comes calling, you listen. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really makes you think the Bengals could be targeting one of the highly ranked RBs in the draft.

Rex ranked very well in the advanced metrics last year (and definitely passed the eye test) even if it's a small sample size. $3M isn't all that much for a guy that could be used heavier in our offense going forward, but I guess we'll just have to see what the Pats do with him instead.

I don't think Burkhead would have become anything special in Cincinnati but he has a shot to get a ring so good for him.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Really makes you think the Bengals could be targeting one of the highly ranked RBs in the draft.

Rex ranked very well in the advanced metrics last year (and definitely passed the eye test) even if it's a small sample size. $3M isn't all that much for a guy that could be used heavier in our offense going forward, but I guess we'll just have to see what the Pats do with him instead.

I don't think Burkhead would have become anything special in Cincinnati but he has a shot to get a ring so good for him.

I think that's the main reason why we didn't match for Rex. Can get a younger, every down back in the draft. Rex has never carried the load here and essentially plays the same position as Gio, who just got an extension.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know...maybe it is just a small sample size.  But when we talk about the ineptness of our coaching staff I wonder what they really see in players.

I am sure that Rex is not going to be a HOF RB.  But when our running game was struggling the last couple of years why did he not even get the chance to show what he could do?

Sometimes, I think that Marvin and Company pencil in guy at a certain spot and there he is for the entire career.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the more amazing things about the Patriots is how they operate despite all of their success. Even with their five Super Bowl titles, the Pats behave as if they have yet to win one. There's an air of desperation in their moves, and I mean that in the most positive way possible.

The Patriots are never satisfied. No team should be, but think about how many franchises get complacent. They don't spend their salary-cap allotments. They don't pursue free agents. They do little to improve.

Not the Patriots. They just engineered the greatest Super Bowl comeback of all time, have won more Super Bowls than most teams ever will, and yet they are still dealing. They replaced Martellus Bennett with Dwayne Allen, a good move that builds depth. They signed Stephon Gilmore, a top cornerback. They kept some of their key players. And they traded for a top receiving target in Brandin Cooks.

Many teams would have made one of those moves. The Patriots made all of them. More are likely to come.

This is what a dynasty looks like. This is how a great organization remains great. This is why the Patriots may be the best franchise we've seen in any sport at any time.

~Mike Freeman

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2017 at 6:40 PM, kennethmw said:

You haven't been on here long enough to call me racist.  Go back to the kids table.  And by the way, I'll admit I'm racist, it's you fuckers who continually try to say you're not.

Can we all just be racist together? 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to interrupt the latest #teamslikethepatriots circle-jerk but uhhh

 

171538061.jpg

 

Get back to me with that "does things the right way" when a Bengals star player fuckin' murders someone

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Not to interrupt the latest #teamslikethepatriots circle-jerk but uhhh

 

171538061.jpg

 

Get back to me with that "does things the right way" when a Bengals star player fuckin' murders someone

You "do things the right way" when you have 5 SB trophies in 15 years. 

This board has such a hard on for crying and being a condescending prick whenever anyone mentions the Patriots accomplishments. It's really odd. 

Why the strawman arguments? Nobody is saying they've never had any players do anything wrong, just that they seem to know how to manage a football team pretty fucking well, enough to win a lot of championships in a short amount of time. 

Sorry for interrupting the #teamslikethebengals whining session. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

You "do things the right way" when you have 5 SB trophies in 15 years. 

This board has such a hard on for crying and being a condescending prick whenever anyone mentions the Patriots accomplishments. It's really odd. 

Why the strawman arguments? Nobody is saying they've never had any players do anything wrong, just that they seem to know how to manage a football team pretty fucking well, enough to win a lot of championships in a short amount of time. 

Sorry for interrupting the #teamslikethebengals whining session. 

The Patriots released Hernandez before he was even arrested.  We would have waited until the trial was over.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The Patriots released Hernandez before he was even arrested.  We would have waited until the trial was over.

See I don't know about that, I feel like even the Bengals would jump quicker if it were something like murder. Maybe not though.

I'm sure there are reasons that T Dub and other long time board members get all hot and bothered when people mention the Patriots' success, but as a newer guy around here it's kind of annoying to not be able to talk about certain things in any thread without having to hear OMG TEAMLIKETHEPATRIOTS HAHAHAHA GET IT THEY'VE PREVIOUSLY EMPLOYED QUESTINOABLE PEOPLE TOO SO DON'T TALK ABOUT THEIR SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!1!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The part that gets to me is that a lot of the guys that rally behind the #teamslikethepatriots bullshit are the same that don't say a word to the other older guys making claims like "free agency doesn't work because the Eagles, Browns, Redskins, etc." Seems kind of hypocritical to employ the logic only when dealing with teams consistently better than the Bengals. Like it's totally cool to point to the Browns and their shitty management and what not to do, but god for-fucking-bid you mention the Patriots success whatsoever.

I'll say it again though, I guess I just don't care as much about ethics and that kind of bullshit as much as most other NFL fans. I'll happily wear a Burfict jersey walking down the street the day after he shoots someone in the face in gang warfare if we win 5, fuck not even 5, just ONE championship.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Patriots released Hernandez before he was even arrested.  We would have been waiting to see how the first parole hearing went.




Fixt


Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

You "do things the right way" when you have 5 SB trophies in 15 years. 

This board has such a hard on for crying and being a condescending prick whenever anyone mentions the Patriots accomplishments. It's really odd. 

 

 

You know what I find odd?  These never-ending comparisons to the most successful team in the league.  Yes, the Bengals aren't as successful. You know who else isn't as successful as the Patriots? Literally everyone else.  If I wanted to read thread after thread of how much better the Patriots are, I'd be on a Patriots board. You aren't "just mentioning" it. You're beating it into the ground.

You know why nobody makes a big deal about comparisons to the Eagles, Browns, Redskins, etc?  Because it's not a fucking constant.  The #teamslikethepatriots thing is a joke, a lighthearted way of poking fun at the endless nut-swinging about everything New England. If that strikes such a raw nerve with you I'd suggest you may be a little bit over-invested emotionally in all this.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

 

You know what I find odd?  These never-ending comparisons to the most successful team in the league.  Yes, the Bengals aren't as successful. You know who else isn't as successful as the Patriots? Literally everyone else.  If I wanted to read thread after thread of how much better the Patriots are, I'd be on a Patriots board. You aren't "just mentioning" it. You're beating it into the ground.

You know why nobody makes a big deal about comparisons to the Eagles, Browns, Redskins, etc?  Because it's not a fucking constant.  The #teamslikethepatriots thing is a joke, a lighthearted way of poking fun at the endless nut-swinging about everything New England. If that strikes such a raw nerve with you I'd suggest you may be a little bit over-invested emotionally in all this.

Beating it into the ground? I've talked about the Patriots when they're relevant and without exaggerating like some of the others tend to do. Not sure you're talking to the right guy about "beating it into the ground".

The comparisons to the shit teams ARE a constant, every single offseason it's discussed on every form of Bengals social media with the "Bengals can't do anything wrong" guys crying about how you shouldn't sign free agents on day 1 because that's what the Browns do and well, the Browns suck.

You just choose to ignore 1 of the arguments and beat on the other. Don't act like you're not invested just as much with thousands upon thousands of posts on a message board.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0