Andre Smith Back

7 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Why draft a RG so early when we clearly don't value the position. Instead draft a guy who might be able to play LT but if he can't then he can go inside atleast. I might go so far as to say you should never draft a guard. 

It's quite a leap to say that just because they don't want to pay a guard $10M+ per year that they don't value the position at all and don't think it's worth using a Day 2 pick (that costs like $1.5M per year) on one with the potential to step in and start immediately.

If they snag one of the top OGs with pick 41 and the rookie comes in and impresses immediately, then they have 3 tackles (Andre, Fisher, Ogbuehi) for 2 starting spots and can judge in camp on which 2 give them the best chance to win. 

Even if the OG doesn't come in and start right away, Andre's on a 1-year deal and Bodine is a FA next year too. 

9 hours ago, SocalBengalEd said:

After last year's performance.  How the hell can anyone pencil in oggieboggie to start at LT.   Wtf am I missing.   One of the worst Right tackles I've ever seen is going to start at LT.   Wtf.  Makes zero fucking sense.  None at all

LT and RT are not interchangeable.  CO is more suited to play the left side.  He needs to get stronger and bigger and that's what I'd expect this year. 

1 hour ago, happyrid said:

It's quite a leap to say that just because they don't want to pay a guard $10M+ per year that they don't value the position at all and don't think it's worth using a Day 2 pick (that costs like $1.5M per year) on one with the potential to step in and start immediately.

If they snag one of the top OGs with pick 41 and the rookie comes in and impresses immediately, then they have 3 tackles (Andre, Fisher, Ogbuehi) for 2 starting spots and can judge in camp on which 2 give them the best chance to win. 

Even if the OG doesn't come in and start right away, Andre's on a 1-year deal and Bodine is a FA next year too. 

I see what you are saying but RG is a position that 1-you can get in free agency relatively cheaply and 2-you can draft a guy who is only a rg relatively lately. The athletic guys like LT or RT or LG go much earlier and C goes earlier because it's a different skill set as well. I would never draft a RG early because they are both easier to get and if people can't play these other positions often they can play RG. It's a shoot for the moon and if you don't make it you will be among the stars mentality. I can completely see drafting someone who you may want to play C as early as round 2 in this draft. But with the idea that they will play C not RG. Even a LG who might be able to play both RT and some LT and C. Just not a RG. 

3 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I see what you are saying but RG is a position that 1-you can get in free agency relatively cheaply and 2-you can draft a guy who is only a rg relatively lately. The athletic guys like LT or RT or LG go much earlier and C goes earlier because it's a different skill set as well. I would never draft a RG early because they are both easier to get and if people can't play these other positions often they can play RG. It's a shoot for the moon and if you don't make it you will be among the stars mentality. I can completely see drafting someone who you may want to play C as early as round 2 in this draft. But with the idea that they will play C not RG. Even a LG who might be able to play both RT and some LT and C. Just not a RG. 

The top few RGs got $9-12M in FA this past year. Even Andre Smith fresh off of a 4-game season got $4.5M to come in and compete at RG. It's just not as cheap as you think and OL salaries are up across the board. It's not easy to find a starting caliber OG on the third day either, or these guys wouldn't be getting paid like this in FA, other teams would just fill their holes with late picks. We drafted Christian Westerman in the 5th last year for example and it doesn't seem like they think he's a starter-caliber guy after seeing him for a year. Sometimes those later picks hit (Clint Boling was an early 4th) but more often they don't.

As for versatility, I do think that the potential options at 41 have positional versatility. Forrest Lamp, Cam Robinson, Dan Feeney, Patrick Elflein, and Dorian Johnson look like the realistic options. A couple of them will probably be gone but at least two of those guys should be there. Some of them could potentially play tackle and others could potentially play Center. 

With the versatility of guys like Smith and Fisher, getting a starting caliber OG early in the draft is probably the easiest way to put together a decent line if Ogbuehi falls on his face again.

If Ced still sucks, you would have:

LT-Fisher

LG-Boling

C-Bodine

RG- Rookie 2nd rounder

RT-A. Smith

2 hours ago, happyrid said:

My thoughts exactly. Which is why a natural RG like Dan Feeney at 41 makes so much sense.

Just now, Le Tigre said:

My thoughts exactly. Which is why a natural RG like Dan Feeney at 41 makes so much sense.

I don't know much about the college linemen coming out this year, is he being considered an NFL ready guy or will he need a year or two?

Just now, Le Tigre said:

I would rather address tackle in the first or second.  Ryan Ramcyyk would not be a sexy pick in the first, but he could be a Whitworth-type player who is a cornerstone of the team for a decade.  It would be a smart move in my opinion.  Also, if Cam Robinson is somehow available in the second the Bengals have to grab him.  He shut down Myles Garrett with zero double team help playing left tackle.  He could play on either side.

We can't f around with the OL.  We need to hit it hard.  It is so much more important than getting a new RB/CB/LB/DE in the first and second.  We are not great at those positions, but we can manage with what we have and a couple of lower draft picks/cheap FAs.  The OL is not okay.  

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Isn't Westermann supposed to be pretty good?  Maybe that's why we let Z go??  (I'm just trying to be positive here)

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

He will probably be a late first round pick; the Lions, Texans, and Falcons are all in the market for an OG and Feeney is the best one available in the draft. 

3 hours ago, BlackBengal said:

I would rather address tackle in the first or second.  Ryan Ramcyyk would not be a sexy pick in the first, but he could be a Whitworth-type player who is a cornerstone of the team for a decade.  It would be a smart move in my opinion.  Also, if Cam Robinson is somehow available in the second the Bengals have to grab him.  He shut down Myles Garrett with zero double team help playing left tackle.  He could play on either side.

We can't f around with the OL.  We need to hit it hard.  It is so much more important than getting a new RB/CB/LB/DE in the first and second.  We are not great at those positions, but we can manage with what we have and a couple of lower draft picks/cheap FAs.  The OL is not okay.  

Too late for that, the Bengals screwed that up by letting Whit and Zeitler leave in FA.

This is a bad OL draft, especially for OT's. Ramczyk is currently injured, so drafting a guy with a bad hip seems like a bad move at #9. Besides the last OT the Bengals drafted that was injured was Ogbuehi and look how that turned out. 

Out of the 3, Kirkpatrick was the biggest luxury re-signing, imo. The Bengals have drafted CB's in the first round 2 out of the last 3 years and have capable guys like Josh Shaw and Kei'varae Russell on the roster. Also the Bengals could have went after other less expensive options instead Kirkpatrick, while cutting Adam "POS Pacman" Jones and saving more cap space. 

19 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

He will probably be a late first round pick; the Lions, Texans, and Falcons are all in the market for an OG and Feeney is the best one available in the draft. 

Too late for that, the Bengals screwed that up by letting Whit and Zeitler leave in FA.

This is a bad OL draft, especially for OT's. Ramczyk is currently injured, so drafting a guy with a bad hip seems like a bad move at #9. Besides the last OT the Bengals drafted that was injured was Ogbuehi and look how that turned out. 

Out of the 3, Kirkpatrick was the biggest luxury re-signing, imo. The Bengals have drafted CB's in the first round 2 out of the last 3 years and have capable guys like Josh Shaw and Kei'varae Russell on the roster. Also the Bengals could have went after other less expensive options instead Kirkpatrick, while cutting Adam "POS Pacman" Jones and saving more cap space. 

He injured his hip at the beginning of the 2016 college season and played through the injury all season.  He waited until after the bowl game to have it scoped.   It was fixed in early January.  Not really a big issue.

People are way overplaying this "its a bad Tackle class" thing.  Ramczyk is good as hell.  Easily worth a top-10 pick.  Cam Robinson was overrated early in the process and now he is underrated.  

14 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Awesome, I really like this move, I don't see it as much of a drop off from Zeitler to him and the money saved.

Glad this was done. I'd love them to at least kick the tires on Mangold.

Whoa there. Let me preface what I'm about to say with the fact that I'm a fan of bringing big Andre back.

However, not much of a drop off from one of your better RGs in the league? Some people put Zeitler up there with David DeCastro, and while I find him to be under David, Big Z isn't THAT far away from being one of your best RGs in the NFL. Andre Smith has never started an NFL game at guard and is coming off a not so great year at his natural position.

I'd love to hear the rationale of you not seeing much of a drop off.

18 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Bringing Andre back is admitting we fudged up when we cut him the first time and are going back to the same-old same-old

Sent from my Tandy 2000™ with SpeelChex

Nope, it means that they'd rather fuck up the oline and leave Dalton a greasy spot on the turf than lose a possible 3rd to 7th round Comp pick.

10 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Whoa there. Let me preface what I'm about to say with the fact that I'm a fan of bringing big Andre back.

However, not much of a drop off from one of your better RGs in the league? Some people put Zeitler up there with David DeCastro, and while I find him to be under David, Big Z isn't THAT far away from being one of your best RGs in the NFL. Andre Smith has never started an NFL game at guard and is coming off a not so great year at his natural position.

I'd love to hear the rationale of you not seeing much of a drop off.

Hence, is why I am having a difficult time believing they are even going to try him at guard--despite the official insinuations. Tackle is where he plays. I also remember a long time ago when he was the #6 overall pick, he was drafted as a LT, which he played rather well at Alabama.

14 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Hence, is why I am having a difficult time believing they are even going to try him at guard--despite the official insinuations. Tackle is where he plays. I also remember a long time ago when he was the #6 overall pick, he was drafted as a LT, which he played rather well at Alabama.

So despite Hobson, the official mouthpiece for the Bengals FO, saying Smith is going to play RG and Smith saying he will play RG you are saying he's not...got it. 

Not trying to be disrespectful but you are coming off a bit delusional. If Smith wants to play in the NFL he will play wherever the Bengals ask him to play. Last year he wasn't a highly sought after FA and only got a 1 year deal, got hurt after 4 games, and got another 1 year deal..he's basically hanging onto his NFL life by a thread. 

Archived