Kevin Minter signs

I'm pretty sure this is my favorite Bengals outside free agent signing in a realllllllllly long time.
This dude can play. Immediate upgrade and takes a big need away from the draft, really opens shit up for us. This is so awesome.
I'm honestly not quite sure why he was still sitting there as available and I'm sure some people will bitch about that and say this isn't a big deal, but Minter has been VERY good, I can't express how impressed I am with this signing where I'm usually just "meh" to most things the Bengals do this time of year.

My thoughts exactly... I thought after hightower he was the best lb avaliable.... And to offer an outside free agent a multi year deal u know we must like him... To bad he didnt accept it.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

Sorry that was so hard to read that first sentence. Didnt even notice.. But if he falls they better jump at it... A guy like alex anzalone, best cover lb in the third could be in play as well.

I'd be happy with Takkarist McKinley as well.....or Jared Davis.

23 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Super Bowl here we come Kevin Minter for the HOF!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!

I know this is sarcasm, but can't we give the FO some credit for this?

When is the last time we flat out upgraded a position in free agency without losing someone at that position to another team? We typically only sign over the hill, cheap players to replace good, young guys that we let walk. This is very non-Bengal-like.

Minter can play every snap you ask, doesn't slow down after playing 90% of snaps in a game, is GREAT against the run, can cover 10x better than Maualuga, is young, comes from a great defense, and basically has zero downside.

What isn't there to like about this? I don't like the 1 year deal but you can't force the guy to sign the dotted line. At least he's on the Bengals.

1 hour ago, Jpoore said:

Sorry that was so hard to read that first sentence. Didnt even notice.. But if he falls they better jump at it... A guy like alex anzalone, best cover lb in the third could be in play as well.

Anzalone has been injured every year he's been in college. Some quite serious. He's not even remotely close to the best coverage linebacker.

8 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

When hes been healthy hes been far and away the best coverage lb in this draft he has cb skills.

Corner skills is a pretty ridiculous statement. He's a 240+ lb linebacker who ran a 4.6 something. He's also only been healthy 1 out of 3 seasons.

Foster and Reddick are both way better in coverage.

He's a good athlete no doubt but he's a Chris Perry at linebacker.

I know absolutely nothing about Minter but reading some cardinal fan reaction, they seem thrilled that he's off their team. Saying he's terrible in coverage and misses too many tackles. Obviously fans can be a little harsh. Was just hoping to read something different. 

43 minutes ago, whodey365 said:

I know absolutely nothing about Minter but reading some cardinal fan reaction, they seem thrilled that he's off their team. Saying he's terrible in coverage and misses too many tackles. Obviously fans can be a little harsh. Was just hoping to read something different. 

I read solid in coverage but misses some tackles.

His first 2 years was bad, but last 2 years hes been to that defense what burfict is to ours.

6 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

Burficts market would have been the same... And arizona is in rebuild mode right now. They let a ton of defensive players walk... Theyre starting over from scratch. Hightower didnt really have a market either beaides a team or 2.

You make a lot of crazy things up dude

The Enquirer has confirmed through multiple league sources that the Cincinnati Bengals will once again be turning to the free agent market to bolster its linebacker room by looking to sign Kevin Minter to a one-year deal that could reach a total of $4.5 million. The club was seeking a more long-term agreement, but Minter was content to ink essentially a "prove it" deal with the Bengals.

The linebacker visited the Bengals earlier in the week.

Minter fits a different profile than the signings of A.J. Hawk and Karlos Dansby the last two years, however, as Minter is 26 years old and has worked his way into the starting lineup in Arizona the last two years.

A 2013 second-round draft out of LSU, Minter appeared in 29 games with five starts in his first two years, he has started all 32 games the last two years. He played in 93.2 percent of the Cardinals defensive snaps last season.

The Enquirer learned through another league source that his position within the Bengals' scheme was the subject of some debate as Minter was an inside linebacker in Arizona’s 3-4 defense. But, he was rated as the fifth-best free agent linebacker on the market by Pro Football Focus (PFF).

The analytics site said Minter was inconsistent in his play over the year, with 20 missed tackles, but was an above-average coverage player.

Perhaps anticipating Minter’s departure, the Cardinals brought Dansby back with a one-year deal earlier in free agency.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/03/18/cincinnati-bengals-sign-former-arizona-cardinals-free-agent-linebacker-kevin-minter/99358012/

Minter was on my list of free agents I thought the Bengals should look at. Overall he is a young, solid but unspectacular player. A good addition who is a better run defender than he is against the pass. He's going to get you 80+ tackles, 2 or 3 sacks and a half dozen tackles for a loss a year. He's really not a player that's going to blow your socks off but, he's a good addition. I pretty much guarantee he's been brought in to play SAM.

It's a one year deal and, again I believe he will play SAM here, so I am still taking Rueben Foster at #9 if I am the Bengals. No way should this signing change that.

Archived