Kevin Minter signs

I'm pretty sure this is my favorite Bengals outside free agent signing in a realllllllllly long time.
This dude can play. Immediate upgrade and takes a big need away from the draft, really opens shit up for us.

To me, this is the Bengals' biggest signing since Antwan Odom in '08.

However, it's interesting because I can't believe getting a linebacker was near the top their priorities list. It almost seems like they employed their "best player available" draft strategy in free agency.

It doesn't come close to offsetting the damage done to the O-line, but it's a really strong signing.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Minter was on my list of free agents I thought the Bengals should look at. Overall he is a young, solid but unspectacular player. A good addition who is a better run defender than he is against the pass. He's going to get you 80+ tackles, 2 or 3 sacks and a half dozen tackles for a loss a year. He's really not a player that's going to blow your socks off but, he's a good addition. I pretty much guarantee he's been brought in to play SAM.

It's a one year deal and, again I believe he will play SAM here, so I am still taking Rueben Foster at #9 if I am the Bengals. No way should this signing change that.

I'll be happy just to have a guy who moves better than Dansby

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, DanvilleBengal said:

So what is the lowdown on minter? How is he such a good signing, despite the age? I'm just curious.

Sent from my iPod touch using Go-Bengals.com

This is what I'm wondering as well. I don't know much about him other than what I've just read up on and what I've read is nothing but good stuff like him being the captain and play caller of their defense and being a guy that's durable doesn't miss games and stays healthy. But somethings gotta be up right? I mean he's a young kid (turns 27 late in season I think I read) coming off a rookie 2nd round contract from a pretty good defense he was captain of and in free agency he couldn't come up with bigger money or longer than a 1 year deal? Idk I like the signing from all the stuff I've read so far but I'm definitely wary of it because something there just doesn't seem right. Anyone have any ideas why this is the case with him?

8 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Minter was on my list of free agents I thought the Bengals should look at. Overall he is a young, solid but unspectacular player. A good addition who is a better run defender than he is against the pass. He's going to get you 80+ tackles, 2 or 3 sacks and a half dozen tackles for a loss a year. He's really not a player that's going to blow your socks off but, he's a good addition. I pretty much guarantee he's been brought in to play SAM.

It's a one year deal and, again I believe he will play SAM here, so I am still taking Rueben Foster at #9 if I am the Bengals. No way should this signing change that.

Actually I believe I just read somewhere he was in the top 5 rankings in coverage at his position last year. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I did though.

10 minutes ago, StripesEarned said:

Actually I believe I just read somewhere he was in the top 5 rankings in coverage at his position last year. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I did though.

Yes, I saw that stat too. I would be very interested to know what that rankings is based on. Everything I've watched of Minter and anyone I've talked to from the Cardinals fanbase says this is simply not true. Solid run stopper, average at best in coverage.

Just now, BengalFanInTO said:

Yes, I saw that stat too. I would be very interested to know what that rankings is based on. Everything I've watched of Minter and anyone I've talked to from the Cardinals fanbase says this is simply not true. Solid run stopper, average at best in coverage.

Yea good point. You can make stats fit your narrative a good bit of the time. Nothing can compare to the eye test seeing the players on your team play week in and out to really know how good or bad someone is. Wonder what majority of Cards fans have to say about it. I know you'll no doubt get some that say good riddance he sucks and others that didn't want to see him go so would be nice to know the opinions of the majority that watched him week in and week out. Either way he can't be any worse in coverage than Dansby was last year, he just can't be. If Cards are rebuilding like I saw someone say why the hell would they bring Dansby back. Dansby signing to replace him before Minter signed elsewhere could indicate they see Dansby as an upgrade. If that's the case it's a little troubling going by his performance here last year along with it being strange a young player like Minter not seeming to have more interest and not getting bigger money with more years on contract. Seems like it could be a nice upgrade for us but I'm still cautiously optomistic about it though.

On 3/18/2017 at 9:18 PM, omgdrdoom said:

I know this is sarcasm, but can't we give the FO some credit for this?

When is the last time we flat out upgraded a position in free agency without losing someone at that position to another team? We typically only sign over the hill, cheap players to replace good, young guys that we let walk. This is very non-Bengal-like.

Minter can play every snap you ask, doesn't slow down after playing 90% of snaps in a game, is GREAT against the run, can cover 10x better than Maualuga, is young, comes from a great defense, and basically has zero downside.

What isn't there to like about this? I don't like the 1 year deal but you can't force the guy to sign the dotted line. At least he's on the Bengals.

I think people are over hyping Kevin Minter, he's a solid guy but based on the reaction around here people are acting like he's Ray Lewis. 

If he is so great then why did the Cards let him walk and no other team offer him a multi-year deal besides the Bengals? How does this signing help improved the depleted offensive line? 

Minter doesn't even want to be here long term, he turned down a multi-year deal despite this obviously being the only one offered. Minter has improved but let's not act this signing is going to guarantee the Bengals the division and a trip to the playoffs.

Kevin Minter played well against Buffalo

The offense really struggled (don’t ask what A.Q’s run blocking rating was please), but the defense, according to Pro Football Focus, wasn’t as bad. Their highest scorer? Kevin Minter actually. 

The much aligned Minter scoring high is actually great news. He is usually mentioned as a weak link in the front seven, and in a game that Arizona was struggling to defend the run, I was surprised his score was so high.

http://cardswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/29/pro-football-focus-and-cardinals-player-grades/

Minter has improved but he's far from a sure thing. Is he an upgrade over Maualuga, possibly, but to act like he's a future Pro Bowler that is going to put this team over the top is a bit presumptuous. Sorry if I don't trust the Bengals FO to make the right moves, they haven't exactly made the best moves this offseason. 

THESE 10 NFL PLAYERS HAD THE WORST PERFORMANCES OF SUNDAY’S WEEK 4 ACTION

1. Bené Benwikere, CB, Carolina Panthers

In much the same way that Washington’s Bashaud Breeland simply isn’t up to the task of covering Stealers receiver Antonio Brown one-on-one, as we saw Week 1, Carolina’s Benwikere isn’t close to the level needed to limit Atlanta star wideout Julio Jones without help. Benwikere surrendered 228 of the 300 receiving yards Jones amassed in the game from eight catches, including Jones’ 75-yard catch and run. Benwikere also allowed a touchdown to Aldrick Robinson, and even two passes defensed couldn’t save him from yielding a perfect passer rating of 158.3 when targeted.

2. Kevin Minter, LB, Arizona Cardinals

By and large Arizona’s defense played pretty well on an individual level, but a major exception to that was Kevin Minter, who in coverage alone struggled badly to contain running back Todd Gurley and tight end Lance Kendricks of the Rams. Minter gave up a catch on all five targets, which went for 60 yards, including one pass to Gurley that left him in the dust as he forlornly dived to try and make a play. Minter didn’t make up for those coverage woes in the run game, either, where he was the one Cardinals defender to consistently get moved from the point of attack.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-these-10-nfl-players-had-worst-performances-of-sundays-week-4-action/

Guess who two of our prized FA's are this offseason, that right folks Bene`Benwikere and Kevin Minter. 

14 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I think people are over hyping Kevin Minter, he's a solid guy but based on the reaction around here people are acting like he's Ray Lewis. 

If he is so great then why did the Cards let him walk no other team offer him a multi-year deal besides the Bengals? How does this signing help improved the depleted offensive line? 

Minter doesn't even want to be here long term, he turned down a multi-year deal despite this obviously being the only one offered. Minter has improved but let's not act this signing is going to guarantee the Bengals the division and a trip to the playoffs.

Minter has improved but he's far from a sure thing. Is he an upgrade over Maualuga, possibly but to act like he's a future Pro Bowler that is going to put this team over the top is a bit presumptious. Sorry if I don't trust the Bengals FO to make the right moves, they haven't exactly made the best moves this offseason. 

Guess who two of our prized FA's are this offseason, that right folks Bene`Benwikere and Kevin Minter. 

Well, I don't think he's going to be Ray Lewis, but I think he deserves better than the signing getting shit on.

If any UFA is so great why did the original team let them walk? Are all UFAs mediocre or worse players? Does remaining on the market after the big wave of signings mean you can't be very good? I don't know, I can't really get on board with the logic being used in those points.

I'd guess Minter doesn't want to be here long term because he thinks he can play his way to more than $4.5M. Why is it a negative that the FO tried to lock him up for a longer period but he declined? Wouldn't it be a bad or mediocre signing if Minter wanted to be here long term but the Bengals refused and only signed him to a 1 year deal? I really don't get how Minter wanting a 1 year contract somehow can be used against his ability as a player. No clue what you're thinking on that part.

Is he an upgrade over Maualuga or Dansby? Absolutely. I've said he's my favorite Bengals signing in a long time and that he was a good player on a great defense and that he's 100% an upgrade from what we had in 2016. I'm not sure if he's a Pro Bowler but I also don't give a fuck about the Pro Bowl because it's a popularity contest.

You could make the argument that any free agent on the market this year wouldn't have put us over the top. You usually don't go from 6 wins to Super Bowl contention with any single free agent signing, so I'm not sure you're making the most logical argument there either. How I look at it - have we been bitching at the FO to upgrade us at LB for countless years? Yes. Did they sign someone better than guys that were here last year? Yes. I'm happy with that. No, it didn't do anything to our o-line and we aren't SB contenders because of him, but it seems really crazy to me to bitch or make condescending remarks about an UPGRADE via free agency. I just don't see a reason to be down about the move, Minter is good.

Are you really going to use 2 games of a season for your side of things that maybe Minter isn't that good? In 2015 Aaron Rodgers had like 4 or 5 games where he looked like Johnny Manziel on the field, and that's a guy that people talk about being one of the greatest QBs in NFL history. Not trying to say Minter @ LB = Rodgers @ QB, but I'm just pointing out that I can show you where ANY player in the entire league has had some really bad games.

I'm not the biggest fan of PFF grades, but I'll leave you with this information since you used them as your sources - Kevin Minter graded higher last year than anyone on the Bengals except for Burfict, Vinnie Rey, Atkins, Dunlap, Green, and Eifert. So that's 16 out of our 22 starters plus all of our rotational role players that Minter graded ahead of. Again, I don't think their grading system is flawless, but it's crazy to think Minter wouldn't be an upgrade when the only thing you can point to that's negative is a couple of bad games that any NFL player has.

Katherine Terrell @Kat_Terrell

Bengals make it official, announce that Kevin Minter has been signed to a one-year deal.

Adam Caplan  @caplannfl

They're planning on lining him up initially at MLB to compete for role there.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Well, I don't think he's going to be Ray Lewis, but I think he deserves better than the signing getting shit on.

If any UFA is so great why did the original team let them walk? Are all UFAs mediocre or worse players? Does remaining on the market after the big wave of signings mean you can't be very good? I don't know, I can't really get on board with the logic being used in those points.

I'd guess Minter doesn't want to be here long term because he thinks he can play his way to more than $4.5M. Why is it a negative that the FO tried to lock him up for a longer period but he declined? Wouldn't it be a bad or mediocre signing if Minter wanted to be here long term but the Bengals refused and only signed him to a 1 year deal? I really don't get how Minter wanting a 1 year contract somehow can be used against his ability as a player. No clue what you're thinking on that part.

Is he an upgrade over Maualuga or Dansby? Absolutely. I've said he's my favorite Bengals signing in a long time and that he was a good player on a great defense and that he's 100% an upgrade from what we had in 2016. I'm not sure if he's a Pro Bowler but I also don't give a fuck about the Pro Bowl because it's a popularity contest.

You could make the argument that any free agent on the market this year wouldn't have put us over the top. You usually don't go from 6 wins to Super Bowl contention with any single free agent signing, so I'm not sure you're making the most logical argument there either. How I look at it - have we been bitching at the FO to upgrade us at LB for countless years? Yes. Did they sign someone better than guys that were here last year? Yes. I'm happy with that. No, it didn't do anything to our o-line and we aren't SB contenders because of him, but it seems really crazy to me to bitch or make condescending remarks about an UPGRADE via free agency. I just don't see a reason to be down about the move, Minter is good.

Are you really going to use 2 games of a season for your side of things that maybe Minter isn't that good? In 2015 Aaron Rodgers had like 4 or 5 games where he looked like Johnny Manziel on the field, and that's a guy that people talk about being one of the greatest QBs in NFL history. Not trying to say Minter @ LB = Rodgers @ QB, but I'm just pointing out that I can show you where ANY player in the entire league has had some really bad games.

I'm not the biggest fan of PFF grades, but I'll leave you with this information since you used them as your sources - Kevin Minter graded higher last year than anyone on the Bengals except for Burfict, Vinnie Rey, Atkins, Dunlap, Green, and Eifert. So that's 16 out of our 22 starters plus all of our rotational role players that Minter graded ahead of. Again, I don't think their grading system is flawless, but it's crazy to think Minter wouldn't be an upgrade when the only thing you can point to that's negative is a couple of bad games that any NFL player has.

As for UFA's some leave because their team can't afford them, see Zeitler and Whitworth. Others have an injury/age issue and teams think they can improve upon them with players that don't have that issue. Most of the guys that sign 1 year deal at the league average during the 3rd week of the free agency period aren't highly sought after players that have a huge market for their services. 

Regarding my opinion on Minter it's not just based off of two games, but rather two seasons. He racks up a lot of tackles and can be liability in coverage because of his height and speed limitations.

Minter is solid at best, is he that much better than a healthy Rey Maualuga, that is debateable. Minter has a few good season under his belt and hopefully the best years of his career ahead of him. 

So do you think the signing of Kevin Minter takes us out of the running for Reuben Foster at #9, since they both play LB? I would say so, I think they either go DT, DE, RB, or CB with the #9 pick.  

7 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

So do you think the signing of Kevin Minter takes us out of the running for Reuben Foster of Haason Reddick at #9, since they both play LB? I would say so, I think they either go DL or CB with the #9 pick.  

CB might be the deepest position on the team. I think its one of Thomas-Charlton-Allen or Barnett. Charlton fits the size ratio best

I went back and watched his first 4 games last year and came away with this "eyeball" test.

He is, indeed, very good in coverage.  He reroutes crossing patterns and hustles to flat and takes his guy out of the play.  Regarding his lousy PFF score against the Rams.  Really I would put only one on him.  He whiffed on a tackle on a safe throw against their TE Kendricks.  2 other catches were "safe" throws as well.  The two Gurley catches--one looked like he was playing L middle zone coverge and, thus, didn't chase Gurley to the flat like he would in man coverage and gave up the catch.  The other was practically indefensible, Gurley is faster and Keenam tossed an absolutely perfect lead pass that I doubt a DB would have covered any better.    He is a better blitzer than any of our present LB's--times blitz well, avoids blocks without leaving his lane, pushes back a RB when he can't avoid him.

Against the run....well, I hope he isn't on the field too much on running downs.....  gets caught up in trash, picks the wrong holes to fill (like filling  a hole that isn't even there), gets taken out of  play by guards at the second level easily.  On the plus side he has a motor and hustles across the field to make tackles.   Regarding his Buffalo PFF score,  the rest of the defense must have been really lousy, because Minter was horrid against the run.  He needs to an OLB or we will get gashed if he is the MLB.  He is NOT  a Mauluga upgrade in this capacity.  Maybe it's time to make Tez the MLB?

When I get a chance I will look at some more games to see if my impression changes.

8 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

CB might be the deepest position on the team. I think its one of Thomas-Charlton-Allen or Barnett. Charlton fits the size ratio best

He does, but his one year of production kind of worries me. However, it seems as if he is just starting to figure things out and maybe he's final put it all together. I think Charlton would be a reach at #9, but imo he's the 3rd best 4-3 DE available in the draft behind Garrett and Barnett. 

1 minute ago, Dr Tarzan said:

I went back and watched his first 4 games last year and came away with this "eyeball" test.

He is, indeed, very good in coverage.  He reroutes crossing patterns and hustles to flat and takes his guy out of the play.  Regarding his lousy PFF score against the Rams.  Really I would put only one on him.  He whiffed on a tackle on a safe throw against their TE Kendricks.  2 other catches were "safe" throws as well.  The two Gurley catches--one looked like he was playing L middle zone coverge and, thus, didn't chase Gurley to the flat like he would in man coverage and gave up the catch.  The other was practically indefensible, Gurley is faster and Keenam tossed an absolutely perfect lead pass that I doubt a DB would have covered any better.    He is a better blitzer than any of our present LB's--times blitz well, avoids blocks without leaving his lane, pushes back a RB when he can't avoid him.

Against the run....well, I hope he isn't on the field too much on running downs.....  gets caught up in trash, picks the wrong holes to fill (like filling  a hole that isn't even there), gets taken out of  play by guards at the second level easily.  On the plus side he has a motor and hustles across the field to make tackles.   Regarding his Buffalo PFF score,  the rest of the defense must have been really lousy, because Minter was horrid against the run.  He needs to an OLB or we will get gashed if he is the MLB.  He is NOT  a Mauluga upgrade in this capacity.  Maybe it's time to make Tez the MLB?

When I get a chance I will look at some more games to see if my impression changes.

Good break down, it's funny how much difference of opinion you can get on one player with people watching the same film. 

I have wanting the Bengals to move Burfict to MLB since he got here, I hope this the year it happens but it seems like they want to put Minter in that position. 

This is what I'm wondering as well. I don't know much about him other than what I've just read up on and what I've read is nothing but good stuff like him being the captain and play caller of their defense and being a guy that's durable doesn't miss games and stays healthy. But somethings gotta be up right? I mean he's a young kid (turns 27 late in season I think I read) coming off a rookie 2nd round contract from a pretty good defense he was captain of and in free agency he couldn't come up with bigger money or longer than a 1 year deal? Idk I like the signing from all the stuff I've read so far but I'm definitely wary of it because something there just doesn't seem right. Anyone have any ideas why this is the case with him?

As stated before we wanted a long term deal, he wanted to prove himself, ideally to get more money. He was a very bad player when on the field for the first 2 years but then the switch clicked on the last 2. but the market was horrible for lbs this year.... Hell hightower only had 3-4 teams interested.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Yea good point. You can make stats fit your narrative a good bit of the time. Nothing can compare to the eye test seeing the players on your team play week in and out to really know how good or bad someone is. Wonder what majority of Cards fans have to say about it. I know you'll no doubt get some that say good riddance he sucks and others that didn't want to see him go so would be nice to know the opinions of the majority that watched him week in and week out. Either way he can't be any worse in coverage than Dansby was last year, he just can't be. If Cards are rebuilding like I saw someone say why the hell would they bring Dansby back. Dansby signing to replace him before Minter signed elsewhere could indicate they see Dansby as an upgrade. If that's the case it's a little troubling going by his performance here last year along with it being strange a young player like Minter not seeming to have more interest and not getting bigger money with more years on contract. Seems like it could be a nice upgrade for us but I'm still cautiously optomistic about it though.

Well they remember the young dansby.... They also remember how mitner was garbage when he did play his first 2 years. But they lost campbell, jefferson, mitner,cooper, swearinger, and okafor all on the defense. So they are really rebuilding that team. From what ive read at worst hes average in coverage, at best hes top 7-8 in coverage. So essentially we got a above average pass coveage lb whose an elite run stuffer. But a HUGE upgrade over malaluga. I think it speaks volumes that we offered a outside free agent a multi year deal

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

On 3/19/2017 at 2:34 AM, T-Dub said:

More shaky tackling is definitely not what this defense needs, but ok.

True hopefully that doesnt show up here, but if his coverage ability is what they say it is and if he can cover the TE for us, which we have never been able to do since Marvin has been here then I'll be happy.

5 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think its one of Thomas-Charlton-Allen or Barnett. Charlton fits the size ratio best

so it can't be a WR, RB or TE?

I REALLY like Thomas but he will be loooooong gone before we ever get on the clock....as much as that pains me to say.  

Archived