Kevin Minter signs

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

I think you're probably right, I just can't see any of them being the BPA at 9. 

I think some of these offensive skill guys are overrated right now.  Bunch of dudes that jumped up from workout numbers & I'm also not convinced of an early run on defense by the time draft day rolls around.  Someone may want a QB bad enough to trade up.  

tumblr_inline_nma05p1AWP1t7a4ad_500.png

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Bunch of dudes that jumped up from workout numbers...

that's fine but that certainly doesn't apply to guys like Howard and Fournette.

now Fournette certainly won't be there but there's a pretty decent chance that Howard will be.....I just can't see any of the pass rushers that'll still be available being the BPA over a guy like Howard. 

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

that's fine but that certainly doesn't apply to guys like Howard and Fournette.

now Fournette certainly won't be there but there's a pretty decent chance that Howard will be.....I just can't see any of the pass rushers that'll still be available being the BPA over a guy like Howard. 

Not sold on Howard, I don't think he's capable of starting week 1 and that's the expectation of a top 10 draft pick IMO.  Hopefully they don't have to, but they should have it in them.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Not sold on Howard, I don't think he's capable of starting week 1 and that's the expectation of a top 10 draft pick IMO.  Hopefully they don't have to, but they should have it in them.

He's plenty capable.  The only question is will Eifert be healthy.

Watched 3 more games

No change on his cover skills and blitzing both light years better than Maualuga and Dansby.   Run defense was looking  a LITTLE better, but still had a penchant for filling the wrong hole--not just RB adjusting, you can tell where the play is designed to go by the blocking...and Minter still shoots a hole where there is no action.  Did better at fighting off blocks in the hole, but still got swallowed up by G's at the second level.

I really think he would make a great OLB and nickle LB.  One thing he seems to excel in exactly the patterns that Dansby screwed the pooch.  Minter has excellent closing speed that Dansby has lost.  Surprised AZ didn't have him blitz more, he looks like he could be  double digit sack guy if you let him go more than a few blitzes in a game.

On 3/20/2017 at 0:16 PM, Jpoore said:

Well they remember the young dansby.... They also remember how mitner was garbage when he did play his first 2 years. But they lost campbell, jefferson, mitner,cooper, swearinger, and okafor all on the defense. So they are really rebuilding that team. From what ive read at worst hes average in coverage, at best hes top 7-8 in coverage. So essentially we got a above average pass coveage lb whose an elite run stuffer. But a HUGE upgrade over malaluga. I think it speaks volumes that we offered a outside free agent a multi year deal

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Sounds like a winner to me. Just hope him going against the status quo regarding NFL contracts and proving himself isn't a sign of him being a poor decision maker or him being over confident in his abilities.

On 3/20/2017 at 8:38 PM, Dr Tarzan said:

Watched 3 more games

No change on his cover skills and blitzing both light years better than Maualuga and Dansby.   Run defense was looking  a LITTLE better, but still had a penchant for filling the wrong hole--not just RB adjusting, you can tell where the play is designed to go by the blocking...and Minter still shoots a hole where there is no action.  Did better at fighting off blocks in the hole, but still got swallowed up by G's at the second level.

I really think he would make a great OLB and nickle LB.  One thing he seems to excel in exactly the patterns that Dansby screwed the pooch.  Minter has excellent closing speed that Dansby has lost.  Surprised AZ didn't have him blitz more, he looks like he could be  double digit sack guy if you let him go more than a few blitzes in a game.

Awesome. Sounds great. Thanks for watching the games and letting us know. Where are you getting the replays? On the NFL field pass subscription?

I am happy with signing Minter and I don't really understand the negativity.  After watching last year's LB corps look less than impressive, I would have expected fans to be happy to see the team try to upgrade the position.  Minter is in his prime and has experience as a starter.  It's a little strange he only signed for one year, but it sounds like that was his choice.  He should be plenty motivated if nothing else.  I just don't see much downside to this move.  It cements Maualuga being released and does nothing to change our draft plans.

13 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I am happy with signing Minter and I don't really understand the negativity.  After watching last year's LB corps look less than impressive, I would have expected fans to be happy to see the team try to upgrade the position.  Minter is in his prime and has experience as a starter.  It's a little strange he only signed for one year, but it sounds like that was his choice.  He should be plenty motivated if nothing else.  I just don't see much downside to this move.  It cements Maualuga being released and does nothing to change our draft plans.

90% of Bengals fans have bitched about our shitty LBs for what seems like forever. Then some of those same guys give a big "meh" when we finally go outside of the typical Bengals signings and upgrade via free agency (another thing people always bitch to see more of) with a team captain of the #2 defense. The signing also gives us the ability to cut a guy most of these same people have bitched to be cut for a few years (Maualuga).

Minter is the guy that wanted a 1 year deal as a "prove it" contract, so you know he's going to be busting his ass out there and not taking plays off or slacking like some UFAs get accused of once they get a new deal.

You hit the nail on the head and there's no way to make sense of the negativity and there honestly isn't any downside to it at all.

As a fan that has admittedly bitched and bitched and bitched about our linebackers over the years and as a fan that has wanted Maualuga to get less and less snaps, I'm thrilled with Minter. Other people that have shared my thoughts in the past should be happier about this.

11 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

I love how in his intervies he gave off the impressionnthat he would like a long term deal here. If we can sign burfict and mitner for 15 million per year combined.... That would be amazing.

I'd call it miraculous with lesser LB's making around $10MM/y themselves.  IDK about Minter but I would expect Burfict will want a raise.

I'd call it miraculous with lesser LB's making around $10MM/y themselves.  IDK about Minter but I would expect Burfict will want a raise.

Well guarantee hes not leaving... Hell take what he feels he deserves, but i dont think hell try to gut us. Free agency was non existent on lbs in general this year so maybe possible to get mitner at 7.

LBs were in a really strange spot this offseason. Free agency started on March 9th...

Minter and Keenan Robinson just signed deals within the past few days or so.

The best LB on the market (Hightower) didn't even have a visit until the 13th-14th. Most of the top players at each position were signed with a new team within a couple hours of free agency officially opening.

Zach Brown is still a free agent. A lot of old vets are still out there on the market.

I don't know about Minter, but as T-Dub said, Burfict is going to get $$$$$$$$. The good news is he isn't an edge rushing OLB that gets $16M per year or anything, but look for him to be somewhere less than that but absolutely over $10M per. Hopefully it's the Bengals that decide to give it to him, he's the 1 player on our entire roster that I'd hate to see leave.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

LBs were in a really strange spot this offseason. Free agency started on March 9th...

The best LB on the market (Hightower) didn't even have a visit until the 13th-14th. Most of the top players at each position were signed with a new team within a couple hours of free agency officially opening.

Zach Brown is still a free agent. A lot of old vets are still out there on the market.

I don't know about Minter, but as T-Dub said, Burfict is going to get $$$$$$$$. The good news is he isn't an edge rushing OLB that gets $16M per year or anything, but look for him to be somewhere less than that but absolutely over $10M per. Hopefully it's the Bengals that decide to give it to him, he's the 1 player on our entire roster that I'd hate to see leave.

Burfict's already on his second deal that doesn't pay anyway in the neighborhood of $10M py. I'd guess that about half the teams in the league consider him a guy they wouldn't want on their team.

We'll see in the next off-season, but Burfict screwed us the last two years, IMHO, by costing us a playoff game and missing the first 1/4 of the season. 

In an already soft LB market, Burfict is damaged goods. I wouldn't make him our 3rd highest paid player.

24 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Burfict's already on his second deal that doesn't pay anyway in the neighborhood of $10M py. I'd guess that about half the teams in the league consider him a guy they wouldn't want on their team.

We'll see in the next off-season, but Burfict screwed us the last two years, IMHO, by costing us a playoff game and missing the first 1/4 of the season. 

In an already soft LB market, Burfict is damaged goods. I wouldn't make him our 3rd highest paid player.

He signed an extension in the summer of 2014 which is essentially 5 decades ago in NFL contract time, if you get what I'm saying. What certain positions are "worth" on the open market gets blown up year after year. The best CB in the league could sign for $15M per this year and in 2 years the going rate could shoot up close to $20M per for the top guy. Who knows where the Burfict style of LB even is right now in terms of average/year salary.

I think a lot of teams throw his attitude out the window when dealing with an athlete of his caliber, but I could be wrong about that. I think he knows he's looking at $10M+ on the open market, but I could be way off base with that too, I'm just guessing by what I've been seeing around the league. It's hard to make many apples to apples comparisons when dealing with any of this shit with how the market is constantly changing and you're rarely dealing with guys who are almost identical in terms of on and off the field performance.

The way Burfict played last year.   He's going to get paid when he's a free agent.   He's that good of a player and makes that much of an impact.    Raiders n Ravens would sign him to a huge contact first day of free agency.   Bengals better sign him during the season because his price will go up if he makes the pro bowl which he should have this year. 

2 hours ago, SocalBengalEd said:

The way Burfict played last year.   He's going to get paid when he's a free agent.   He's that good of a player and makes that much of an impact.    Raiders n Ravens would sign him to a huge contact first day of free agency.   Bengals better sign him during the season because his price will go up if he makes the pro bowl which he should have this year. 

Yeah, I really hope they extend Burfict before he hits the market.

5 hours ago, SocalBengalEd said:

I think the Stealers would snag him first....

Highly doubt he gets more than 7-8 million. Its all about demand and nobody wants vontaze burfict. Also theres no way he leaves imo. Hes got a guarenteed coaching job, he loves it here. If we offer 7-8 million per year hell take that.

Archived