Bengals cut Maualuga

Not going to dance on his grave.  I appreciate what Rey did for the team and hope he catches on somewhere else if he wants to keep playing.  The main feeling I have is disappointment that he never reached the high expectations we had when he was drafted in 2009.  I think that is the main reason for the negativity surrounding Rey.  We all hoped he would make multiple Pro Bowls and it just didn't happen.

11 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Not going to dance on his grave.  I appreciate what Rey did for the team and hope he catches on somewhere else if he wants to keep playing.  The main feeling I have is disappointment that he never reached the high expectations we had when he was drafted in 2009.  I think that is the main reason for the negativity surrounding Rey.  We all hoped he would make multiple Pro Bowls and it just didn't happen.

Well, yeah, that and he became such a huge liability in coverage that it was almost laughable. He became too big, slow and expensive to be a 2-down LB for us. I wish him luck catching on somewhere.

He had a couple of decent seasons and otherwise has been subpar. This was the right move and long overdue. I guess the addition of Minter was enough insurance to make the move. I also hope it means they are eyeing Rueben Foster in the first round. Next step...cut that bag of dicks Adam Jones.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Odd timing 

I don't think so, not with the Minter signing.  Gives him a chance to catch on somewhere else before camp & the Bengals don't have to worry about him pulling a hammy or whatever in OTA's and gumming up the works.

As far as being a disappointment.. I remember when he was drafted he had this reputation as a big hitter and all that, but watching the tape he was launching himself or chest-bumping much smaller dudes to the ground.  He played hard here & didn't shy away from contact.  Just too slow to overcome the false step when he fell for the misdirects and fakes - which seemed to be often. 

47 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

We had to cut him to sign Gilberry.

We're down to only $24 Million in cap space. 

Plus when you consider the draft picks and possible injury settlements in 2025 we're actually $3.2 billion over the cap

:ninja:

51 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Plus when you consider the draft picks and possible injury settlements in 2025 we're actually $3.2 billion over the cap

:ninja:

We also have to save money to resign Mitch Hyatt after we draft him next year. People just don't understand smart cap management.

12 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

OK. So the LB's on the roster now:

Burdock

Minter

Vigil

those are the first 3.

as long as Burfict stays on the field with them, it doesn't really matter much who the other two are, IMO.

in other words, they don't need to draft a LB at 9, IMO....you can get those guys later.

just draft the biggest playmaker you can get your hands on at 9....if it's a S, TE, CB, WR or RB, it's all cool with me, just put a game-changer on the field with the guys ya got. 

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I don't think so, not with the Minter signing.  Gives him a chance to catch on somewhere else before camp & the Bengals don't have to worry about him pulling a hammy or whatever in OTA's and gumming up the works.

As far as being a disappointment.. I remember when he was drafted he had this reputation as a big hitter and all that, but watching the tape he was launching himself or chest-bumping much smaller dudes to the ground.  He played hard here & didn't shy away from contact.  Just too slow to overcome the false step when he fell for the misdirects and fakes - which seemed to be often. 

I was super pumped when we got him.. I thought he would be a star for us..

Wish the dude the best wherever he lands...unless its the stealers or stains...then fuck him...

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Looking a little thin all things considered. I have always liked Flowers though. Seems like he's got a little game.

Yup. It's Reuben at 9

Ive always wanted Flowers to get a legit shot. He has good speed and solid coverage(from his very limited time playing). I think when he was given his shot he got injured. I would be happy with Reuben.

23 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I think he's a better fit for a 3-4 defense as a run stuffer, he will catch on somewhere else. 

That'd be interesting.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

those are the first 3.

as long as Burfict stays on the field with them, it doesn't really matter much who the other two are, IMO.

in other words, they don't need to draft a LB at 9, IMO....you can get those guys later.

Huh? You can get all "those guys" later.  Particularly if that's

a S, TE, CB, WR or RB

Where do you think Foster goes? All I'm saying is the difference between 9 and more like 14 is pretty hazy.  I'd bet it even varies from club to club right up until they're on the clock.

14 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

He was slow and a liability. Looked like Maui (R) played like Moana (L). 

moana+poster.jpg

Say what you want but he never played soft.  He might hit the wrong hole but he was hitting. Didn't miss many starts either.

Archived