Bengals cut Maualuga

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Say what you want but he never played soft.  He might hit the wrong hole but he was hitting. Didn't miss many starts either.

I don't get the disrespectful comments, Rey was reliable, played injured, and left the team involuntarily. 

I'm sure if Rey had a choice I'm sure he would rather be on the team than a free agent.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Say what you want but he never played soft.  He might hit the wrong hole but he was hitting. Didn't miss many starts either.

Yep and he may have been dog shit in coverage and started missing some tackles the past couple of years, but he was a solid 1st/2nd down MLB for a while. 

Sure he wasn't a hall of famer, but he wasn't horrible. If the coaching staff realized to stop playing him on passing downs earlier in his career I promise more people wouldn't be hating on the dude. 

That said, good riddance, he was expendable at this point on our roster. Lb does look a little weak as Le Tigre said but I thought the same before we cut Maualuga. 

11 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I don't get the disrespectful comments, Rey was reliable, played injured, and left the team involuntarily. 

I'm sure if Rey had a choice I'm sure he would rather be on the team than a free agent.

This team could use more of his work ethic, that's for sure.

6 hours ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

Peko not brought back.  Maualuga cut.  Only one left is Adam Jones.  Dump him and add another $7.6 million to get someone else

or extend someone maybe.  

Maybe they're waiting for another vet CB to get cut elsewhere?  I hope they see him as replaceable at least.

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe they're waiting for another vet CB to get cut elsewhere?  I hope they see him as replaceable at least.

Jim Owczarski has said if he's released it will be because of his performance and not the arrest, just an FYI for anyone that hasn't seen that.

If the FO deems his play has slipped too much to be paid as he is and they feel he's expendable, that's the only way he isn't on our roster. The only thing that sucks about cutting Adam is then we'd have to rely on starting a "rookie" CB in WJIII. Unless of course they'd sign another vet as you said, but I can't imagine a CB on par with Adam Jones' ability being cut in the near future.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Jim Owczarski has said if he's released it will be because of his performance and not the arrest, just an FYI for anyone that hasn't seen that.

If the FO deems his play has slipped too much to be paid as he is and they feel he's expendable, that's the only way he isn't on our roster. The only thing that sucks about cutting Adam is then we'd have to rely on starting a "rookie" CB in WJIII. Unless of course they'd sign another vet as you said, but I can't imagine a CB on par with Adam Jones' ability being cut in the near future.

I have said it elsewhere but for a 33 year old CB, getting suspended for a quarter of the year isn't a terrible thing. Preserves him for the back end of the year if our rookies don't play well and saves us a little money. 

Rey Maualuga dropped like a stone in the draft because NFL teams realized his skill set was limited and despite his crushing hits his production was actually pretty poor. He had a couple of decent seasons but was effectively a bust and had more terrible moments than good. If the Bengals were actually going to do something with the cap space they gained and/or cut that bag of dicks Adam Jones this would have been a great move. Now, it seems like a day late and a dollar short.

Archived