Mel Kiper: Bengals low free agency grade(obviously) insider

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

It's shocking that McCarron didnt get playing time last year as much as Andy got hit.

Well, look at it on the bright side.

Ced isn't going to play "out of position" so he's obviously going to EASILY go from one of the worst players in the entire NFL to being a competent or better LT. Jake Fisher is EASILY going to become an ELITE tackle out of nowhere. Boling will EASILY become a BEAST ELITE LG. Elflein is going to come into the NFL BEAST MODE MADDEN ULTIMATE GAME ELITE CENTER ROOKIE BEAST and EASILY transform 41 sacks and bottom of the league rushing stats into BEAST MODE ELITE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's that simple, duh. You just have to be realistic and understand that it's that easy. I just bought a copy of Madden rush delivered to my house so I can make all of our linemen 99 OVERALL to prepare for the 2017 season. All of the "experts" that speak highly of the Bengals line are 100% correct, EASILY. Message board assholes like us don't understand line play.

16 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

You are the most hyperbolic poster in the history of message boards,

This is unbelievably accurate.

Every single player he talks about is either THE WORST IN THE LEAGUE!!!!!! or ELITE BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, omgdrdoom said:

Ced isn't going to play "out of position" so he's obviously going to EASILY go from one of the worst players in the entire NFL to being a competent or better LT. Jake Fisher is EASILY going to become an ELITE tackle out of nowhere. Boling will EASILY become a BEAST ELITE LG. Elflein is going to come into the NFL BEAST MODE MADDEN ULTIMATE GAME ELITE CENTER ROOKIE BEAST and EASILY transform 41 sacks and bottom of the league rushing stats into BEAST MODE ELITE EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's that simple, duh. You just have to be realistic and understand that it's that easy. I just bought a copy of Madden rush delivered to my house so I can make all of our linemen 99 OVERALL to prepare for the 2017 season. All of the "experts" that speak highly of the Bengals line are 100% correct, EASILY. Message board assholes like us don't understand line play.

So let me take the positive outlook on this. Let's say Ced turns it around at LT and that Fisher plays well. Let's also say Boling continues to play like a average to good RG, and that Andre Smith gets healthy and plays even better as an RG than he did as an RT here, and lets say we replace Bodine with Elflein.

The issue even if all those things click is that the #1 thing an Oline needs is continuity, loosing Whit and Zeitler and replacing Bodine (with an upgrade in Elflein) gives you ONE guy in Boling who started a full 16 games at his position on the line.

That's not alot of continuity. It's not giving me the warm an fuzzies, even if Ced turns it around and Fisher (who I thought was serviceable) grows into the position.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

So let me take the positive outlook on this. Let's say Ced turns it around at LT and that Fisher plays well. Let's also say Boling continues to play like a average to good RG, and that Andre Smith gets healthy and plays even better as an RG than he did as an RT here, and lets say we replace Bodine with Elflein.

The issue even if all those things click is that the #1 thing an Oline needs is continuity, loosing Whit and Zeitler and replacing Bodine (with an upgrade in Elflein) gives you ONE guy in Boling who started a full 16 games at his position on the line.

That's not alot of continuity. It's not giving me the warm an fuzzies, even if Ced turns it around and Fisher (who I thought was serviceable) grows into the position.

Yeah you honestly have to take an extremely unrealistic look at the line to make the claim that it's "easily" going to be a top 10 unit with the addition of a 2nd round rookie after you lost your 2 best linemen in the same offseason. An even more unrealistic take would be bashing someone for laughing at the claim that it's easily going to be top 10.

I think your positive outlook is fine and seems fairly realistic in the projections. IMO best case is Ced is a decent LT, Fisher is a good RT, Boling is a good LG, Andre is a decent RG, Elflein is a decent to good C. Worst case being Ced is still awful, Boling plays the same or worse than 2016, Bodine starts and plays like 2014/2015, the Andre experiment at RG bombs, and Fisher is 'meh' at RT.

So worst case scenario we're a bottom 5 line and best case we're looking at a middle of the pack o-line. I can't see projecting any of the 5 starters as "elite" being anywhere near the word "realistic". We lost a top tier RG and LT and there seem to be plenty of people trying to pretend that everything is just fine somehow. I don't think it's the end of the world but replacing your 2 best linemen with guys where all you can talk about is "potential" doesn't scream top 10 to me when we weren't even top 10 with the configuration WITH the 2 top tier guys here.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yeah you honestly have to take an extremely unrealistic look at the line to make the claim that it's "easily" going to be a top 10 unit with the addition of a 2nd round rookie after you lost your 2 best linemen in the same offseason. An even more unrealistic take would be bashing someone for laughing at the claim that it's easily going to be top 10.

I think your positive outlook is fine and seems fairly realistic in the projections. IMO best case is Ced is a decent LT, Fisher is a good RT, Boling is a good LG, Andre is a decent RG, Elflein is a decent to good C. Worst case being Ced is still awful, Boling plays the same or worse than 2016, Bodine starts and plays like 2014/2015, the Andre experiment at RG bombs, and Fisher is 'meh' at RT.

So worst case scenario we're a bottom 5 line and best case we're looking at a middle of the pack o-line. I can't see projecting any of the 5 starters as "elite" being anywhere near the word "realistic". We lost a top tier RG and LT and there seem to be plenty of people trying to pretend that everything is just fine somehow. I don't think it's the end of the world but replacing your 2 best linemen with guys where all you can talk about is "potential" doesn't scream top 10 to me when we weren't even top 10 with the configuration WITH the 2 top tier guys here.

Oh I agree with you I don't see top 10 at all.

Up to now Ced has been the 2.0 version of Stacy Andrews (wow the athleticism, wow there is no way this guy won't be HOF WOW /Alexander).  Bodine has been 2.0 Ghuiacic (sp?) - (wow this guy is so underrated, so smart, SMRT! /Alexander /Marvin).  I fully expect things to flesh out the same way they did with those guys - they'll either be out of the league or sign elsewhere based on "potential" after they prove to be horrible here.  Fisher I don't think is strong enough, and he'll likely give way to Winston more often than not this season.  The one guy I think might prove a surprise is Andre as long as he can stay healthy.  He was a decent RT but his build and style are better suited to G and he might actually be good there.  I wouldn't be shocked if Andre slides to RT if Fisher struggles, and they move Johnson or Westerman in there at G instead.

50 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Good lord, yes this exactly what me and Jpoore think, sorry having a differing opinion.

O line will be fine I'll leave it at that, we can argue this again in week 5 once we have seen the Oline play together for more than a few games, like I said you keep thinking we have a bunch of scrubs on our team that completely suck and I'll go ahead and think differently, until this why don't you keep your childish crap to yourself.

You obviously totally understand line play and are the expert on it. :rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Good lord, yes this exactly what me and Jpoore think, sorry having a differing opinion.

O line will be fine I'll leave it at that, we can argue this again in week 5 once we have seen the Oline play together for more than a few games, like I said you keep thinking we have a bunch of scrubs on our team that completely suck and I'll go ahead and think differently, until this why don't you keep your childish crap to yourself.

You obviously totally understand line play and are the expert on it. :rolleyes:

It's not having a differing opinion that I have an issue with, it's claiming that we'll "EASILY" have a top 10 line if we draft Elflein after losing our 2 best linemen after a season where we didn't have a top 10 line WITH our 2 best linemen....well, that's not very realistic.

There are plenty of people on here that have had very reasonable opinions even though I didn't 100% agree with them, but I respect having a different opinion as long as I view it to be at least somewhat realistic. We didn't have a top 10 line last year, so claiming that a 2nd round rookie "easily" gives us a top 10 line isn't an opinion based in any sort of reality.

The post you quoted was a joke to poke some fun at people with extreme, hyperbolic opinions, but you're free to be upset about it if the shoe fits.

I believe a lot more people know a LOT more about the o-line than I do in this world, but I'm pretty sure I've demonstrated at least some sort of knowledge on the topic in various threads around here. I don't need your validation. I'm not saying "reputation points" mean a hell of a lot, but just look at you and jpoores rep points per number of posts you make. There's a reason they're low. You guys run around always having a very, very extreme and off the wall opinion on most topics. Neither of you base many of your thoughts in reality but rather some ultimate fantasy that is achieved in places like a video game for example. Painting every situation in black and white, referring to most players as "ELITE" and "TOP 5 ALL TIME POTENTIAL" when talking about guys that have proven between jack and shit, well, it doesn't paint a very realistic picture.

Having a differing opinion is fine, but be prepared to have your message board posts criticized and even laughed at sometimes when they're absolutely ridiculous hyperbolic bullshit.

BTW, I've never said we have a team full of scrubs that completely suck. I actually think we are in great shape at a lot of position groups and pretty good shape in most others. There are very few weak links but the o-line is currently one of them and a lot of people can talk "potential" all they want but most of us want to see it on the field. What we've seen on an NFL football field from most of these guys hasn't been great, so you can't just make baseless claims that we'll have a top 10 line and expect that position to not be attacked.

Lol
We didn't have a top 10 line last year. 26th in sacks allowed, 11th in pressure%, 26th in getting RBs to the 2nd level. Didn't pass "the eye test" for a top tier unit. Okay, so we're starting out by acknowledging that in 2016 we didn't have a top 10 line and thennnnnnnnn
We lost our best pass blocker (who was our second best run blocker) and our best run blocker (who was our second best pass blocker), signed Andre Smith and made no other changes to the line. Yeah, all we need to do is add Elflien and we'll EASILY be a top 10 unit!!!!
Please say no to drugs.

But looked what we gained. Jake fisher looked like he could be a great rt. So all those sacks and pressures from the rt spot knock that off. Ogbuehi showed loads of improvement at lt.u add a quality center and the whole line flows. Top 10 unit next year.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

You are the most hyperbolic poster in the history of message boards, this is so ridiculous on so many levels. 
You say he wasn't a turnstile in the one game he played LT last year, but he gave up 2 sacks in that one game , which is pretty horrible especially if you extrapolate that to 16 games. Just because you get beat up by retired MMA guys in the offseason doesn't mean it will help you be a LT in the NFL, I don't recall Munoz, Pace, Ogden, or any other HOF LT training with Jay Glazer to get better at playing football.
How in the world is Fisher going to be an elite RT, based on what exactly? His inability to beat out 35 year old Eric Winston for playing time? Can he improve and be a non-liability, hopefully but let's see if he can play 16 games without getting benched or hurt before you start calling him elite.
Please explain how an oline that was one of the worst last year and lost it's two best players can become a top 10 unit by adding a 2nd or 3rd round pick. There was potential at lt he gave up 2 sacks againat an elite pass rusher. But the other 41 pass plays he was nowhere near the qb.he had something to build on. As the season went on they gave fisher more and more playing time and fisher held that spot down by season end. And zeitler had a horrible 2016 season due to horrible center play. Its not that hard. If the center can play well the guards and tackles do to.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

5 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

It's not having a differing opinion that I have an issue with, it's claiming that we'll "EASILY" have a top 10 line if we draft Elflein after losing our 2 best linemen after a season where we didn't have a top 10 line WITH our 2 best linemen....well, that's not very realistic.

There are plenty of people on here that have had very reasonable opinions even though I didn't 100% agree with them, but I respect having a different opinion as long as I view it to be at least somewhat realistic. We didn't have a top 10 line last year, so claiming that a 2nd round rookie "easily" gives us a top 10 line isn't an opinion based in any sort of reality.

The post you quoted was a joke to poke some fun at people with extreme, hyperbolic opinions, but you're free to be upset about it if the shoe fits.

I believe a lot more people know a LOT more about the o-line than I do in this world, but I'm pretty sure I've demonstrated at least some sort of knowledge on the topic in various threads around here. I don't need your validation. I'm not saying "reputation points" mean a hell of a lot, but just look at you and jpoores rep points per number of posts you make. There's a reason they're low. You guys run around always having a very, very extreme and off the wall opinion on most topics. Neither of you base many of your thoughts in reality but rather some ultimate fantasy that is achieved in places like a video game for example. Painting every situation in black and white, referring to most players as "ELITE" and "TOP 5 ALL TIME POTENTIAL" when talking about guys that have proven between jack and shit, well, it doesn't paint a very realistic picture.

Having a differing opinion is fine, but be prepared to have your message board posts criticized and even laughed at sometimes when they're absolutely ridiculous hyperbolic bullshit.

BTW, I've never said we have a team full of scrubs that completely suck. I actually think we are in great shape at a lot of position groups and pretty good shape in most others. There are very few weak links but the o-line is currently one of them and a lot of people can talk "potential" all they want but most of us want to see it on the field. What we've seen on an NFL football field from most of these guys hasn't been great, so you can't just make baseless claims that we'll have a top 10 line and expect that position to not be attacked.

LOl rep points seriously? Good lord.

I'll talk to you about line play in week 5.

On 3/31/2017 at 11:18 AM, HavePityPlease said:

Up to now Ced has been the 2.0 version of Stacy Andrews (wow the athleticism, wow there is no way this guy won't be HOF WOW /Alexander).  Bodine has been 2.0 Ghuiacic (sp?) - (wow this guy is so underrated, so smart, SMRT! /Alexander /Marvin).  I fully expect things to flesh out the same way they did with those guys - they'll either be out of the league or sign elsewhere based on "potential" after they prove to be horrible here.  Fisher I don't think is strong enough, and he'll likely give way to Winston more often than not this season.  The one guy I think might prove a surprise is Andre as long as he can stay healthy.  He was a decent RT but his build and style are better suited to G and he might actually be good there.  I wouldn't be shocked if Andre slides to RT if Fisher struggles, and they move Johnson or Westerman in there at G instead.

Ooooh, let's not forget that one time Alexander said on camera (was it Hard Knocks?) that (paraphrasing) "Dennis Roland has the best technique on the offensive line". 

On 3/31/2017 at 10:37 AM, omgdrdoom said:

Last line? Hmmmm.:cool:

On 4/5/2017 at 0:01 AM, Bunghole said:

Ooooh, let's not forget that one time Alexander said on camera (was it Hard Knocks?) that (paraphrasing) "Dennis Roland has the best technique on the offensive line". 

Classic line from Assistant Head Coach Paul Alexander.  I would think the OL coach would have the best technique on the OL, being the coach and all.

What they both lack is a shred of ability.  That's more important than technique.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Classic line from Assistant Head Coach Paul Alexander.  I would think the OL coach would have the best technique on the OL, being the coach and all.

What they both lack is a shred of ability.  That's more important than technique.

Roland sure proved your "lack of ability" theory to be utterly false when he was effective as the 8th offensive lineman in 2009!

19 minutes ago, TheBeaverHunter said:

Anybody remember Kieft...our lineman we drafted...

Dude was a monster 6'7" 340lbs...got hurt and never really played..

No relevance, but someone mentioned Ghiachiuc and it got me thinking of lineman. 

Was he the one we called Bluto? It was one of the irrelevant OLs over the years.

19 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Roland sure proved your "lack of ability" theory to be utterly false when he was effective as the 8th offensive lineman in 2009!

True, true.  Put enough OL on the field and eventually they will block someone by sheer population density. That's just the kind of genius move you expect from an Assistant Head Coach!

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

True, true.  Put enough OL on the field and eventually they will block someone by sheer population density. That's just the kind of genius move you expect from an Assistant Head Coach!

In all honesty I think Roland was just too damn tall to play oline at 6'9". Same issue with Margus Hunt at the same height. Pad level. To this day I am still a little befuddled as to how we spent a 2nd round pick on Hunt, whom had barely even played football prior to being drafted. Love the guy, wanted him to be a monster, but now he's just a glorified kick blocker. And will probably have 12 sacks with the Colts now that he's not here.

On April 7, 2017 at 4:28 AM, TheBeaverHunter said:

Anybody remember Kieft...our lineman we drafted...

Dude was a monster 6'7" 340lbs...got hurt and never really played..

No relevance, but someone mentioned Ghiachiuc and it got me thinking of lineman. 

And not to go to Western Michigan for offensive linemen.

On April 7, 2017 at 4:47 AM, Hooky said:

Was he the one we called Bluto? It was one of the irrelevant OLs over the years.

That would have been the more famous Guy-check. Google an image of him and you will see why the nickname stuck.

Archived