Prospects for 2017 Draft

After looking through the TE's, RB's, QB's and most of the WRs I have 3 must haves.

1. Joshua Dobbs-QB-Tennessee Cannon arm, super intelligent and great mobility. Ideal developmental backup. 
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...bbs?id=2558167

2. TJ Logan-RB-North Carolina Ridiculous speed and that's something this offense needs. Size isn't terrible either
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...gan?id=2558273

3. Shelton Gibson-WR-WVU Another speedster with some wiggle. The type of guy we can draft later and let develop. Reminds me of Desean Jackson some, who I think would have been a perfect signing. 

TE NONE

Near these guys would be.
QB:Jarod Evans-Va Tech, Zach Terrell-WMU
RB: Wayne Gallman-Clemson, Joe Williams-Utah, Elijah McGuire-La Lafayette
WR: Josh Reynolds-Texas AnM, Ronnie Moore-BGSU (UDFA)

Overall Notes

QB:I don't expect us to take one in the first. 

RB: I think it's bad logic to take one in the first and all of the top 5 have major questions and will be essentially over drafted. I would be ok with all 5 players on my team though. 

WR: I like each of the top 3 and would not be mad with any at 9. 

Logan is a guy I like but I think he'd be a second drafted back. I really think they need a guy in this draft to take over for Hill in 2018. Regardless of what he does this year I'll be surprised if they re-sign him.

How fast is Gibson?

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Logan is a guy I like but I think he'd be a second drafted back. I really think they need a guy in this draft to take over for Hill in 2018. Regardless of what he does this year I'll be surprised if they re-sign him.

How fast is Gibson?

Ran a 4.5 at the combine and a 4.4 at his pro day. Plays much faster. 4.5 seems very surprising when you watch his tape. 

1 hour ago, turningpoint said:

I hope we take Jake Butt at Te if he slides past the 4th round....I could see the Stealers taking him and he's the next Heath Miller

I didn't like him when I watched him. Doesn't seem to be a great athlete. Heath Miller is probably a high end but I don't see a TE making this team who isn't special athletically. 

18 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I didn't like him when I watched him. Doesn't seem to be a great athlete. Heath Miller is probably a high end but I don't see a TE making this team who isn't special athletically. 

Yeah, i agree. I think Efeirt, uzomah and Kroft are a great 3, not sure on Krofts contract situation though.

3 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Yeah, i agree. I think Efeirt, uzomah and Kroft are a great 3, not sure on Krofts contract situation though.

Uzomah and Kroft both have two more very cheap years on their rookie deals. Hewitt has two more years on his deal as well (mostly FB but plays some TE too). 

I'd be really surprised to see a TE drafted because I don't think they are going to cut any of the current guys and they aren't going to carry 5 TE(+FB)s either. 

11 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

After looking through the TE's, RB's, QB's and most of the WRs I have 3 must haves.

1. Joshua Dobbs-QB-Tennessee Cannon arm, super intelligent and great mobility. Ideal developmental backup. 
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...bbs?id=2558167

2. TJ Logan-RB-North Carolina Ridiculous speed and that's something this offense needs. Size isn't terrible either
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...gan?id=2558273

3. Shelton Gibson-WR-WVU Another speedster with some wiggle. The type of guy we can draft later and let develop. Reminds me of Desean Jackson some, who I think would have been a perfect signing. 

TE NONE

Near these guys would be.
QB:Jarod Evans-Va Tech, Zach Terrell-WMU
RB: Wayne Gallman-Clemson, Joe Williams-Utah, Elijah McGuire-La Lafayette
WR: Josh Reynolds-Texas AnM, Ronnie Moore-BGSU (UDFA)

Overall Notes

QB:I don't expect us to take one in the first. 

RB: I think it's bad logic to take one in the first and all of the top 5 have major questions and will be essentially over drafted. I would be ok with all 5 players on my team though. 

WR: I like each of the top 3 and would not be mad with any at 9. 

Finished up WR. Have to add a guy I think we should draft in the 7th round Micheal Clark: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/michael-clark?id=2558728

Also really like Jerome Lane from Akron as a UDFA. 

11 hours ago, Jason said:

How fast is Gibson?

Logan is a guy I think would be great to have, but I agree, how does he fit on the roster? 

Went through the OL and Kickers. 

OL I think I would love any of Ramczyl, Lamp, Bolles and Elfein in Rd 2 or in the 20-41 range essentially if we can trade McCarron. 

Then late there is a big group of just athletic raw LT's who might not amount to anything but could be good. Brunskill from SD State and Ware from Alabama St are my favorites so far. 

I don't think it's likely we find depth at LT in the draft and think we should sign King Dunlap. 

At kicker, obviously everyone likes Gonzalez but I also am interested in Butker at Ga tech as a UDFA. 

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Went through the OL and Kickers. 

OL I think I would love any of Ramczyl, Lamp, Bolles and Elfein in Rd 2 or in the 20-41 range essentially if we can trade McCarron. 

Then late there is a big group of just athletic raw LT's who might not amount to anything but could be good. Brunskill from SD State and Ware from Alabama St are my favorites so far. 

I don't think it's likely we find depth at LT in the draft and think we should sign King Dunlap. 

At kicker, obviously everyone likes Gonzalez but I also am interested in Butker at Ga tech as a UDFA. 

I'm a Buckeye fan and like Elflein as a player/person, but I think he's a reach at 41. He's not a good athlete, gets by mainly on smarts and grit, but his upside is pretty limited IMO. 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/pat-elflein

I'm a Buckeye fan and like Elflein as a player/person, but I think he's a reach at 41. He's not a good athlete, gets by mainly on smarts and grit, but his upside is pretty limited IMO. 
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/pat-elflein

His player comp is travis fredrick. Would take him any day of the week.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

With the offense complete I did a 1-sided mock ignoring the defense that I have not looked at. It actually might not be too far off because I bet we go heavy offense (I don't see us drafting a safety or cb) but is certainly slanted. 

2 C-Elfein
4 WR-Gibson
4 T-Garcia
5 RB-Logan
5 QB-Dobbs
6 RB-McGuire
6 TE-Roberts
7 WR-Clark
7 T-Brunskill

You'd take Travis Frederick?
Or you'd take Elflein just because somebody said his "player comp" is Travis Frederick?

Id take elflien any day of the week. Everyone said that whits locker room presence is a huge loss. Elflien would take over that role right away in addition to being a huge motivator and day one starter any day of the week.

On 4/8/2017 at 0:45 AM, Jpoore said:

Id take elflien any day of the week. Everyone said that whits locker room presence is a huge loss. Elflien would take over that role right away in addition to being a huge motivator and day one starter any day of the week.

Yeah man. A rookie center is going to come in and easily take the locker room role of a 10 year vet, team captain, multiple time All-Pro that has played more games for the Bengals than anyone else on the roster.

It's so simple!

On 4/5/2017 at 1:08 PM, turningpoint said:

I hope we take Jake Butt at Te if he slides past the 4th round....I could see the Stealers taking him and he's the next Heath Miller

If he was the next Heath Miller he wouldn't be sliding anywhere near the 4th round.

I understand that every draft pick gets called the next (insert all-pro player) but the reality is they're only the next clueless rookie.  I think around draft time we forget just how big a jump the NFL is in level of competition.  Almost every player in the league was a bad-ass in college.  For many, that was pretty much their ceiling & if they weren't drafted in the first 2-3 rounds we don't even bother to call them a bust.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

If he was the next Heath Miller he wouldn't be sliding anywhere near the 4th round.

I understand that every draft pick gets called the next (insert all-pro player) but the reality is they're only the next clueless rookie.  I think around draft time we forget just how big a jump the NFL is in level of competition.  Almost every player in the league was a bad-ass in college.  For many, that was pretty much their ceiling & if they weren't drafted in the first 2-3 rounds we don't even bother to call them a bust.

Player comps given by the "experts" are out of control nowadays.

You can't mention not wanting to draft a specific player in the top 200 prospect list anymore without "DUDE HE'S THE NEXT JERRY RICE, THIS GUY ON NFL NETWORK SAID SO!!!!!!!".

So far I think I've heard that JJ Watt, Randy Moss, Tom Brady, Von Miller, Adrian Peterson, and Bo Jackson are ALL in the 2017 draft class, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

3 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Player comps given by the "experts" are out of control nowadays.

You can't mention not wanting to draft a specific player in the top 200 prospect list anymore without "DUDE HE'S THE NEXT JERRY RICE, THIS GUY ON NFL NETWORK SAID SO!!!!!!!".

So far I think I've heard that JJ Watt, Randy Moss, Tom Brady, Von Miller, Adrian Peterson, and Bo Jackson are ALL in the 2017 draft class, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Draft hype is highly contagious and the only known cure is the NFL preseason.  It's fun, at least.

9 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

It doesn't take too long for the vast majority of them to go from Beast to Bottom Feeder in the eyes of media hacks and skilled Internet experts. 

Yeah I try to be cautiously optimistic even with my own personal top prospects. It's really rare for me to proclaim a guy to be a "can't miss" prospect because in reality, anyone could be a miss.

Draft hype is definitely fun and I like discussing different players coming out of college each year, but stuff like "omg dude is a beast going to be a HOFer" is far too common and over the top for my liking. I don't think every poster is like this, but I know some guys like to "call it" that 30 players are going to be amazing so they can look back and show you how right they were about the 1 guy that was actually great, all while ignoring the 29 that are unemployed or backups.

Very balanced--the way it should be.

One of my favorite lament lines several years after a player is taken is "He hasn't lived up to his draft position". That one always makes me grin. Like being anyone selected from 1-32 is only as good as where he is in that range. Leading to the next follow up lament: "we could have had (fill-in-blank) at the same position in the (fill-in-blank) Round"

Walter is not the best by any means, but interesting - I've seen Thomas listed as high as #2. 

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017.php

Archived