NY Lawmakers Approve Free College Tuition for Middle Class

Go Skins

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/national-international/NY-Budget-Deal-Free-College-Tuition-For-Middle-Class-Upstate-Uber-Senate-Vote-418770294.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DCBrand

New York will be the first state to make tuition at public colleges and universities free for middle-class students under a state budget approved by lawmakers Sunday.

The plan crafted by Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo will apply to any New York student whose family has an annual income of $125,000 or less. To qualify the student would have to meet certain class load and grade point average restrictions, and room and board would not be covered.

19 hours ago, Jason said:

So what is the state income tax rate now, and how much will it go up?

Not sure they've released the details on how it's getting paid for, but there is a rule on this that the person who gets the degree has to stay in NY (not sure how long) so assuming NY has jobs for them when they graduate their taxes (assuming its paid for in state income tax) would contribute back to the state after they graduate.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/04/19/students-who-attend-college-full-time-even-one-semester-are-more-likely-graduate?platform=hootsuite

A growing body of research shows that college students who enroll full-time, taking even 12 credits’ worth of course work in a single semester, are much more likely stick with college, save money and eventually graduate.

Yet while the researchers behind these studies encourage efforts to nudge more students to go full-time (ideally taking 30 credits in a year), they warn against neglecting the many who will continue to attend part-time because of work and family demands -- currently only 38 percent of community college students are enrolled full-time, according to the American Association of Community Colleges.

In addition, they said colleges and policy makers should avoid full-time enrollment incentives that veer toward the punitive. Some critics have made that charge about the 30-credit provision in New York State’s new free-college plan, which means students will be on the hook to pay back the tuition costs of their second semester if they fall even a credit short in a year.

2 hours ago, Enon Bengal said:

Not sure I am following where this is about the increase in taxes due to Tuition for public colleges for one that doesnt effect Ohio as this is a NY tax, but looking at just the NY pdf you attached I'm not following where it goes from 6.45 to 10%??

7 minutes ago, Enon Bengal said:

Someone asked what the current income tax rates were in New York State: 6.45%. If you happen to live in NYC, there is an additional 3+% income tax, making your income tax rate over 10%.

I was using Ohio as a comparison.

I know what you were doing, I'm not seeing where you show that (for NY, I dont care about Ohio as this law doesnt effect Ohio) the sheet you show is just a tax rate based on income sheet, it doesnt show an increase and it certainly doesnt show an increase based on this topic.

58 minutes ago, Enon Bengal said:

Jason asked what the current income tax rate is in New York state, so I looked it up, it's that simple.

Who knows what the increase is going to be, or if there will be an increase.

Ah I thought you were suggesting it was currently 6.45%, and going to over 10%, my mistake.

On 4/24/2017 at 3:09 PM, GoBengals said:

next thing you know they are going to want to make sure citizens can live through disease too..

fuckin dems and their bullshit dreams of a healthy educated society..  all we need is jesus and tax breaks for rich people... its pretty simple.

I know.. so stupid with those expectations.....lol 

• 2 weeks later...

You all sound like a bunch of snowflakes. From what I understand if you want a society to function like a society and for people to help each other out, that means you are snow flakes. I don't need a handout. I don't need the government. I will make my own roads-electricity infrastructure-food standards-health care standards-police-fire-gas infrastructure-internet, water infastructure and standards thank you very much

On 4/24/2017 at 3:09 PM, GoBengals said:

next thing you know they are going to want to make sure citizens can live through disease too..

fuckin dems and their bullshit dreams of a healthy educated society..  all we need is jesus and tax breaks for rich people... its pretty simple.

I'm sorry but what is a "dem"?  Do you mean liberal cuck?

Archived