Can't take the "Pacman" out of Adam Jones

Playing with a hangover at some point in his career? I'd bet on it.

Getting actual drunk/drinking before/during a game? Not 100% I can get behind that one.

I'm sure everyone here has been sober around a person that has been drinking. You can smell it from a pretty reasonable distance, especially if they're to the point where they're actually drunk. I'd bet there's almost a 0% chance Pacman has ever been drunk during an NFL football game.

There is a slight chance I could be grossly underestimating the shitty things that get let go in the big leagues, though I doubt that.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Playing with a hangover at some point in his career? I'd bet on it.

Getting actual drunk/drinking before/during a game? Not 100% I can get behind that one.

I'm sure everyone here has been sober around a person that has been drinking. You can smell it from a pretty reasonable distance, especially if they're to the point where they're actually drunk. I'd bet there's almost a 0% chance Pacman has ever been drunk during an NFL football game.

There is a slight chance I could be grossly underestimating the shitty things that get let go in the big leagues, though I doubt that.

I think you are, guys have been playing pro sports drunk and high for decades. Players have admitted it upon retirement, guys like Lawrence Taylor, David Wells, Hollywood Henderson, Keon Clark, Allen Iverson, etc...

http://www.thesportster.com/entertainment/top-15-athletes-who-played-inebriated/

It happens at all levels of sports, not just the pro level. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

I think you are, guys have been playing pro sports drunk and high for decades. Players have admitted it upon retirement, guys like Lawrence Taylor, David Wells, Hollywood Henderson, Keon Clark, Allen Iverson, etc...

http://www.thesportster.com/entertainment/top-15-athletes-who-played-inebriated/

You think that stuff still goes on in today's NFL though? I don't know.

I'm just saying, you'd assume if the refs got one whiff of booze from a dude with a huge target on his back like Smackman Jones that he'd be ejected, fined, and suspended for life within 5 minutes of the first whistle. I honestly can't see it being possible for Adam Jones to have played NFL football drunk at any point in his Bengals' career.

24 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I'm just saying, you'd assume if the refs got one whiff of booze from a dude with a huge target on his back like Smackman Jones that he'd be ejected, fined, and suspended for life within 5 minutes of the first whistle. I honestly can't see it being possible for Adam Jones to have played NFL football drunk at any point in his Bengals' career.

A person that spits when he talks like Pacman rarely has anyone standing in front of him.....just saying.

46 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I had an ex who was an alcoholic.  She was hammered where she would blow over double the legal limit.  Multiple cops and paramedics have been called in due to incidents involving her at times and not one of them ever had a fucking clue she was drunk...including some accidents when it would be easy for the cop to demand a breathalyzer. It didn't even cross their mind.  Alcoholics have a way of getting away with a lot that you would think is obvious.  I've seen him with my own eyes drinking the day of games.  I've witnessed it with multiple Reds players and a few other Bengals too. A lot of crazy as shit happens that never gets to the news. A couple bars downtown have assisted in helping these players get away with it without it hitting social media or the news.

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Completely agree. Thanks for the link that will be interesting to look through.

56 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Absolutely it does, the refs don't have the authority to eject someone for that and as long as the player passes the drug test the NFL can't do anything about it.

Alcoholics do many things most people wouldn't do drunk.

35 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Absolutely it does, the refs don't have the authority to eject someone for that and as long as the player passes the drug test the NFL can't do anything about it.

Alcoholics do many things most people wouldn't do drunk.

It's what they call a "functional alcoholic" - there's a level of addiction where what would get the average person shitfaced is just maintenance level for them, what they need to avoid withdrawal symptoms.  I've worked around a couple of ppl like that & while there are signs, obvious drunkenness isn't one of them.

I don't know gents, it makes sense in a way but I'm still not sold. 

If I don't have a drink and my wife has a single sip of wine, I can smell it on her breath across the room and my sinuses being dogshit mean that I don't have the greatest sense of smell in the world. You'd assume a guy being drunk would be detected by one of the many officials on the field, right? I just can't see how they wouldn't know, unless the argument is that they wouldn't care I guess. 

Even if they can't eject a guy for being drunk on the field (any source for that BTW?), I'm sure it could be a big enough deal to alert or notify someone that could do something about it. 

Again, maybe I'm just a big naive asshole that's severely overestimating how big of a deal it would be for professional athletes to be intoxicated on the field. I really, really don't think it's one of the "no big deal" issues in the sports world in 2017 and I'd love to see some modern sources that back up anything saying otherwise.

5 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

No Horst Muhlmann, no vote.

No love for the GOAT of playing while f***ed up?

http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/ellis.asp

“I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria.

I was zeroed in on the [catcher’s] glove, but I didn’t hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters and the bases were loaded two or three times.

The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn’t. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn’t hit hard and never reached me.”

14 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I don't know gents, it makes sense in a way but I'm still not sold. 

If I don't have a drink and my wife has a single sip of wine, I can smell it on her breath across the room and my sinuses being dogshit mean that I don't have the greatest sense of smell in the world. You'd assume a guy being drunk would be detected by one of the many officials on the field, right? I just can't see how they wouldn't know, unless the argument is that they wouldn't care I guess. 

Even if they can't eject a guy for being drunk on the field (any source for that BTW?), I'm sure it could be a big enough deal to alert or notify someone that could do something about it. 

Again, maybe I'm just a big naive asshole that's severely overestimating how big of a deal it would be for professional athletes to be intoxicated on the field. I really, really don't think it's one of the "no big deal" issues in the sports world in 2017 and I'd love to see some modern sources that back up anything saying otherwise.

You said it, not me...:D

No one is saying that pro athletes that play when they are drunk or high are the best in the business, but they do exist. 

Pro athletes are like rock stars, they are paid to perform and the last thing anyone wants is the ref inserting themselves into a situation unnecessarily.

You've got to get with the times daddy-o, don't be such a square. 

Just now, PatternMaster said:

You said it, not me...:D

No one is saying that pro athletes that play when they are drunk or high are the best in the business, but they do exist. 

Pro athletes are like rock stars, they are paid to perform and the last thing anyone wants is the ref inserting themselves into a situation unnecessarily.

You've got to get with the times daddy-o, don't be such a square. 

I mean I do believe it could be possible, I just don't know if it's really happening all that frequently in modern sports. Hey, maybe I'm naive, but I don't really see much evidence either way so I guess it's just a matter of what we each believe until a decade or two down the road when shit starts really coming out about what happened in the mid 2000's.

I also think a lot of people are mixing up drinking the night before a game and being actual, still drinking DRUNK during an NFL football game. There's a huge difference between being dehydrated and a bit out of it from a hangover to drinking in the middle of a pro sporting event.

27 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I mean I do believe it could be possible, I just don't know if it's really happening all that frequently in modern sports. Hey, maybe I'm naive, but I don't really see much evidence either way so I guess it's just a matter of what we each believe until a decade or two down the road when shit starts really coming out about what happened in the mid 2000's.

I also think a lot of people are mixing up drinking the night before a game and being actual, still drinking DRUNK during an NFL football game. There's a huge difference between being dehydrated and a bit out of it from a hangover to drinking in the middle of a pro sporting event.

These days players are popping pills which is basically a synthetic form of heroin, especially in the NFL. 

These emails were entered into court record last week as part of a proposed class-action lawsuit brought by 1,800 former NFL players who claim they were encouraged to abuse painkillers by team doctors. A similar suit was filed by eight former NFL players in 2014, but that case was dismissed by a federal judge who ruled that the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement offered better avenues for settling their grievances. That ruling is currently being appealed, and this new suit attempts to skirt it by suing individual NFL teams rather than the league as a whole.

According to the Associated Press, the emails sent by Lauzon and Dimitroff are just a small sample of the thousands of pages of evidence that the players’ attorneys have gathered in discovery.

http://deadspin.com/report-emails-show-atlanta-falcons-were-giving-players-1791835283

Why do think there are so many crazy off the field incidents with pro athletes, like the OT from Buffalo a few days ago.

My advice is to drink some beer, eat some nachos, and enjoy the show..just like with how a sausage is made, you don't want to see the madness behind the scenes in pro sports. Just enjoy the show!

4 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

No love for the GOAT of playing while f***ed up?

http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/ellis.asp

“I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria.

I was zeroed in on the [catcher’s] glove, but I didn’t hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters and the bases were loaded two or three times.

The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn’t. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn’t hit hard and never reached me.”

Always hated the Pirates--just as with any team Pittsburgh. Did love the Dock though. Saw him pitch in person more than a few times back in those early '70's days. Guy was just a great pitcher--always with dominant control of his pitches. When this "stoned while pitching a no-hitter" story broke a few years back, it had me wondering what he might have been on each time I saw him. 

I can't support this team with pacman on the roster. I've been a fan since the age of 4. This pacman is a great player but his stupidity erases his athletic ability by ten times at least.  Keeping him on this team is the 2nd dumbest action this team makes. The first being lining up on offense with the tackles lined up out wide.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2017 at 11:46 AM, PatternMaster said:

These days players are popping pills which is basically a synthetic form of heroin, especially in the NFL. 

Why do think there are so many crazy off the field incidents with pro athletes, like the OT from Buffalo a few days ago.

My advice is to drink some beer, eat some nachos, and enjoy the show..just like with how a sausage is made, you don't want to see the madness behind the scenes in pro sports. Just enjoy the show!

Update on this topic...

The NFL Players Association filed a non-injury grievance against the NFL last month, alleging the league and its teams conspired to violate collective bargaining agreement requirements on dispensing prescription painkillers.

In its letter, the NFLPA referenced the Deflategate case, saying it "is incomprehensible" that the league has taken no action against clubs that have violated the CBA provisions.

The 11-page grievance was disclosed by the NFL in a legal filing Monday in its response to a lawsuit by former Chicago Bears defensive end Richard Dent, in which he alleges teams dispensed painkillers while misleading players about associated health risks. Dent's case was dismissed in 2014 by a federal judge who said the CBA was the proper forum to resolve his claims. Dent's lawsuit is currently being reviewed by a federal appeals court.

The league argues that Dent's appeal should be dismissed as the NFLPA's grievance displays that "the claims are 'inextricably intertwined' with applicable CBAs and preempted under §301 of the Labor Management Relations Act."

Specifically, the grievance alleges that the NFL violated Article 39 of the CBA, which details players' rights to medical care and treatment. According to the NFLPA, the league did not, to the best of its ability, ensure compliance with "all federal, state, local requirements, including all ethical rules ... and professional standards."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19345187

On 4/21/2017 at 11:21 AM, omgdrdoom said:

Statistically, there has to be a certain percentage of high functioning alcoholics in the NFL. Jones shows all of the signs of being an HFA.

By this point, Jones could probably blow over the limit "sober".

My Dad was an HFA - People didn't know he was constantly drunk. A) They have "strategies" to make sure it isn't obvious. B) I think at some point, the booze smell just mixes with your normal BO.

5 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Statistically, there has to be a certain percentage of high functioning alcoholics in the NFL. Jones shows all of the signs of being an HFA.

By this point, Jones could probably blow over the limit "sober".

My Dad was an HFA - People didn't know he was constantly drunk. A) They have "strategies" to make sure it isn't obvious. B) I think at some point, the booze smell just mixes with your normal BO.

Usually they smell strongly of mouthwash and cologne.

Archived