Aaron Hernandez takes his own life

Go Skins

27 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I guess he figured this was better than spending his life behind bars as a caged animal. I couldn't imagine going from a millionaire sports star with everything at your at disposal to being locked in a small cell and being told when to shower and eat. 

Neither can I.  But then again, I didn't kill a man. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/19/under-massachusetts-aaron-hernandez-suicide-voids-murder-conviction/

Under Massachusetts law, Aaron Hernandez suicide voids murder conviction

Posted by Josh Alper on April 19, 2017, 10:49 AM EDT

Aaron Hernandez was found dead in his prison cell on Wednesday morning after hanging himself using bedsheets and, under Massachusetts law, that means the murder conviction that sent him to prison in the first place has been voided.

Hernandez was still in the process of appealing his 2014 conviction of murdering Odin Lloyd, which means a legal principle dating back to English common law called “abatement ab initio” applies to his case. “Ab initio” translates to “from the beginning” and chief legal counsel to the Massachusetts Bar Association Michael Healy told the Boston Globe that the principle reverts a case to its start if the convicted party dies before the appeals process has concluded.

Healy said that civil proceedings in other cases involving the death of the convicted party were complicated because evidence established in the criminal trial cannot be used to make the civil case.

“Unfortunately, in the Odin Lloyd matter, for the family, there won’t be any real closure,” Healy said. “Aaron Hernandez will go to his death an innocent man.”

Not all states still have “abatement ab initio” on the books and some eliminated it after the death of those convicted in high profile cases. Healy said it would not be surprising if a Massachusetts legislator introduced legislation to eliminate it in the state in light of Hernandez’s suicide.

“Unfortunately, in the Odin Lloyd matter, for the family, there won’t be any real closure,” Healy said. “Aaron Hernandez will go to his death an innocent man.”

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. And I'm well read.

5 minutes ago, Hooky said:

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. And I'm well read.

He was convicted and sentenced, so how is he innocent?

10 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Right. What I also thought was dumb was that the family knows who murdered him and the murderer is not out walking the street, so there is closure. Regardless of what the deceased murderer's legal status is. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

"Hernandez was still in the process of appealing his 2014 conviction of murdering Odin Lloyd, which means a legal principle dating back to English common law called “abatement ab initio” applies to his case. “Ab initio” translates to “from the beginning” and chief legal counsel to the Massachusetts Bar Association Michael Healy told the Boston Globe that the principle reverts a case to its start if the convicted party dies before the appeals process has concluded."

So he was appealing the case, died, and since that appeal was still in process he basically gets 'off'.

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

*didn't identify as a man

:ninja:

So Hernandez is technically innocent?  

#teamslikethePatriots

Did the pats have any serious fallout from the media when he was arrested for murder or after? I seemed to recall him being seen as a murder suspect who happened to play for the pats. Lord help us if a Bengal got arrested for murder.

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

Did the pats have any serious fallout from the media when he was arrested for murder or after? I seemed to recall him being seen as a murder suspect who happened to play for the pats. Lord help us if a Bengal got arrested for murder.

Winning is the best perfume, this world will tolerate a lot from "winners". Example A, the POTUS. 

Archived