Decision on Smith expected

[quote][size=3][b]Decision on Smith expected[/b][/size]

BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

The Bengals will announce today whether they will match Cleveland's offer sheet on restricted free agent defensive tackle Shaun Smith.

Smith signed what is believed to be an $8 million, multiyear sheet last Friday.

Under league rules, the Bengals had a week to decide whether to match.

If they choose not to match - and that is the prevailing wisdom - the Bengals will not receive any draft-pick compensation, because Smith entered the NFL as a non-drafted player. Smith was signed as a college free agent out of South Carolina in May 2003 by Dallas.

The signing period for restricted free agents ends April 20.

Smith played in 13 games for the Bengals in 2006 and had 14 tackles. He has 34 games of NFL experience with seven starts for the Bengals (six) and New Orleans (one).

The Bengals tendered restricted free agent contracts to linebackers Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller, punter Kyle Larson, offensive lineman Stacy Andrews and cornerback Greg Brooks - in addition to Smith.

Larson and Andrews received one-year tenders worth $1.3 million that would bring the Bengals a second-round pick as compensation.

Johnson and Miller (third-round compensation) and Brooks (sixth) were tendered at $850,000, which would bring draft-level compensation should they sign offer sheets the Bengals declined to match.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070316/SPT02/703160402/1066/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

[quote name='Storm' post='457352' date='Mar 16 2007, 07:11 AM']Thornton says we don't need him[/quote]

I read the opposite.. Post a link or quote to prove this. Not that I think we should match the offer... It's not that we don't need him, but he isn't worth what the Browns will pay him IMO. People think every time they see a DT in the backfield it means he made a good play.

[quote name='Lucid' post='457353' date='Mar 16 2007, 11:20 AM']I read the opposite.. Post a link or quote to prove this. Not that I think we should match the offer... It's not that we don't need him, but he isn't worth what the Browns will pay him IMO. People think every time they see a DT in the backfield it means he made a good play.[/quote]

I agree Smith isn't worth what the Browns will pay him but he's a better value than Thornton at nearly $4 mil this season, and when a DT is in the backfield on a passing play its a good play and the only DT I've seen in the backfield is Peko.

[quote name='Storm' post='457367' date='Mar 16 2007, 08:26 AM']I agree Smith isn't worth what the Browns will pay him but he's a better value than Thornton at nearly $4 mil this season, and when a DT is in the backfield on a passing play its a good play and the only DT I've seen in the backfield is Peko.[/quote]

Usually, but not always.. If the QB is a scrambling threat, and depending on your defensive scheme, the DT's job may be containment... You can't make a carte blanch statement like that... The main problem I have with Smith is he lacks discipline and saavy (as well as stamina). Sometimes he abandons his gap assignment and gets blocked out of a play. I thought last season Peko, although a rookie, did a good job at gap assignment, as well as penetration. He made his share of rookie mistakes, but IMO he is the best DT we have.... He just needs to be able to play more snaps more consitstantly which I expect to see this season.

Also, Thornton is beyohnd a doubt over paid, but right now he is the only DT we have that can play all 3 downs, with the stamina to give you significant snaps throught the game.. I would like to free up his cap hit, but who do you replace his production with? Smith isn't going to give it to you, and neither is Ham Adams. Hopefully Peko can show he is able to do that for us. Even keeping Thornton we are obviously gong to need to fill a gap through the draft.

[quote name='Lucid' post='457372' date='Mar 16 2007, 07:38 AM']Usually, but not always.. If the QB is a scrambling threat, and depending on your defensive scheme, the DT's job may be containment... You can't make a carte blanch statement like that... The main problem I have with Smith is he lacks discipline and saavy (as well as stamina). Sometimes he abandons his gap assignment and gets blocked out of a play. I thought last season Peko, although a rookie, did a good job at gap assignment, as well as penetration. He made his share of rookie mistakes, but IMO he is the best DT we have.... He just needs to be able to play more snaps more consitstantly which I expect to see this season.

Also, Thornton is beyohnd a doubt over paid, but right now he is the only DT we have that can play all 3 downs, with the stamina to give you significant snaps throught the game.. I would like to free up his cap hit, but who do you replace his production with? Smith isn't going to give it to you, and neither is Ham Adams. Hopefully Peko can show he is able to do that for us. Even keeping Thornton we are obviously gong to need to fill a gap through the draft.[/quote]

I think a healthier/svelter Sam will help, but I agree that Peko might have been the best DT they had, especially down the stretch last year. Thornton is still a pretty good player, but I also believe he's overpaid.

Shaun Smith did some good things here, but as you indicate he is limited re: number of snaps he can play. So, what Cleveland is offering seems too much to me, relative to the return you'd get.

As such, I hope/think that DT will be addressed via the draft, and I also suspect that we'll see more of Fanene inside. At DE, you've still got Justin, Geathers, Frostee (who can also play inside on passing downs), and Fanene can swing from there to DT (B-Rob is a question mark, to me, but if he stays, he can play both DE and DT as well).

More for the compensatory pick pool next year....

======

No match for Smith
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 16, 2007

12:10 p.m.

In a move that surprised no one Friday, the Bengals chose not to match an offer sheet for backup defensive tackle Shaun Smith and appear to plan replacing him with a combination of veterans and most likely a draft pick.

He played in 13 games last season. Although he was active enough when he was in there with 14 tackles and a pass defensed in limited snaps, the coaches decided not to play him in the last three games of his second full season with the Bengals.

“We wish Shaun well with his new opportunity,” said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. “For our offseason and future planning, we have chosen to allocate our cap resources in a different direction.”

The deal is believed to be worth more than $8 million over four years.

Guest fredtoast
Mike Brown's penny pinching just cost us our Super bowl bid next year!

Now that the Browns have Smith we will drop to 4th in the AFC North!
Beat ya to it yojimbo!!!

[quote name='texbengal' post='457468' date='Mar 16 2007, 12:30 PM']More for the compensatory pick pool next year....

======

No match for Smith
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 16, 2007

12:10 p.m.

In a move that surprised no one Friday, the Bengals chose not to match an offer sheet for backup defensive tackle Shaun Smith and appear to plan replacing him with a combination of veterans and most likely a draft pick.

He played in 13 games last season. Although he was active enough when he was in there with 14 tackles and a pass defensed in limited snaps, the coaches decided not to play him in the last three games of his second full season with the Bengals.

"We wish Shaun well with his new opportunity," said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. "For our offseason and future planning, we have chosen to allocate our cap resources in a different direction."

The deal is believed to be worth more than $8 million over four years.[/quote]

Wasn't Smith undrafted, hence, no match as an RFA?

-jd

[quote name='doogles' post='457489' date='Mar 16 2007, 01:08 PM']Wasn't Smith undrafted, hence, no match as an RFA?

-jd[/quote]

The matching picks are this year's draft. However, he could contribute in the formula that determines which compensatory picks we get in next year's draft.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='457473' date='Mar 16 2007, 04:46 PM']Mike Brown's penny pinching just cost us our Super bowl bid next year!

Now that the Browns have Smith we will drop to 4th in the AFC North!
Beat ya to it yojimbo!!![/quote]

His penny pinching won't cost the bengals a SB but his foolish spending and overall poor management of the team might

[quote][b]Package deal [/b]
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 16, 2007

Updated: 1 p.m.

Shaun Smith, as ebullient as ever, says he can’t wait for the first Browns game against the Bengals this season because he’s going to pull a Chad Johnson and send his receiver buddies a present.

“It won’t be Pepto-Bismol, but there will be a special delivery for my guys,” Smith said Friday after hearing he’s officially a Brown. “That is going to be a great media week. You’ve got to love the media in Cincinnati.”

And everybody loves Smith in Cincinnati, from teammates, and coaches, and writers, and all the people who have been congratulating the backup defensive tackle for signing an offer sheet with Cleveland last week that reportedly pays him more than $8 million over four years.

“We wish Shaun well with his new opportunity,” said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis in a news release. “For our offseason and future planning, we have chosen to allocate our cap resources in a different direction.”

But the Cleveland coaches must like him a little more because the Bengals chose not to match the offer and look ready to replace him with a veteran such as Jonathan Fanene and a draft pick.

Smith played in 13 games last season. Although he was active enough when he was in there with 14 tackles and a pass defensed in limited snaps, the coaches decided not to play him in the last three games of his second full season with the Bengals.

“In my exit interview Marvin said he felt it was best for the team if we played some other guys,” said Smith, who sat while Fanene played those last three games. “They’ve got a lot of great players there. Fanene. ([b]Defensive end) Eric Henderson is the next Adalius Thomas. [/b]I’m going to miss Paul Brown Stadium. But the Browns are a team on the rise.”

The Browns got Smith to do what they haven’t been able to do against the Bengals and that’s stop the run. In the four games Cincinnati has played against head coach Romeo Crennel’s teams, running back Rudi Johnson has rushed for 126, 169, 145, and 64 yards in compiling a 4-0 record.

The 6-2, 325-pound Smith agrees with others that think he’s a better fit in the Browns’ 3-4 defense as a nose tackle, where he has been told he’ll compete with 16-year veteran Ted Washington.

“That’s what I do. I’m a run-stopper. I can get some push on the pass, but my game is stopping the run,” he said. “I like the 3-4. I played it in practice when we wanted to get a look. I like playing on top of the center. It’s just you and him. Sometimes you have to worry about the guard, but not much.”

Smith, 25, believes the Browns are going off his fine year in ‘05, when he started five games in place of the injured Bryan Robinson and had 38 tackles. He played in the last three games of 2004 after the Bengals picked him up off waivers from the Saints. Cleveland is his fourth and most lucrative stop.

“It means a lot. I’m still going to be the same guy even though I’ve got the money. Joking around, all that,” Smith said. “All it means is I won’t have to hear you guys say, ‘Oh, there’s Smitty. He’s on the bubble.’ And it was true, you had to do your job, but now I can take care of my wife and three kids.”

The move means the Bengals are sticking with their high-priced starting tackles in Sam Adams ($1.5 million salary cap count) and John Thornton ($3.7 million) as well as emerging second-year player Domata Peko, off a good enough rookie year that he’ll press to start.

The oft-injured Fanene, a third-year player hampered by injury who had five tackles in the last three games, can swing between end and tackle, as can Robinson.

The move also indicates they will be looking at a tackle at any point in the draft.

“Anytime you’re playing behind a guy who’s played for 15 years, you can learn a lot,” Smith said. “Just like I learned a lot from Sam, John Thornton, Bryan Robinson. I thank the Bengals, Coach Lewis, for the opportunity.”

There is absolutely no hard feelings. While the offer sat in the Bengals’ offices all week, he chatted with Thornton and Robinson every day.

Of course, wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh was a different story. The gag was that Smith wanted to be a receiver because he spent so much time hanging with them at their lockers trading trash talk.

Smith has taken notes from the Pepto Incident, when Johnson sent each member of the Browns secondary a bottle of Pepto-Bismol because he was going to make them sick.

“T.J.’s my guy. I’ve talked to him two, three times a day,” said Smith, who was revealing nothing about what is going to be in the package.

“A little something,” he said on a day he got a big deal.[/quote]

[quote]But the Cleveland coaches must like him a little more because the Bengals chose not to match the offer and look ready to replace him with a veteran such as Jonathan Fanene and a draft pick.[/quote]

Does anyone else find it ironic that some claim that Smith isn't any good and its no big deal losing him because he didn't play much anyway. SO now they are going to replace him with someone who played even less [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='Storm' post='457547' date='Mar 16 2007, 02:04 PM']Does anyone else find it ironic that some claim that Smith isn't any good and its no big deal losing him because he didn't play much anyway. SO now they are going to replace him with someone who played even less [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img][/quote]

Actually when Fanene got healthy at the end of the season he was the one who bumped Smith from the active roster.

So I find it ironic that you call Mike Brown stupid when you don't even have a clue about which players are active for which games.

[quote name='Storm' post='457547' date='Mar 16 2007, 02:04 PM']Does anyone else find it ironic that some claim that Smith isn't any good and its no big deal losing him because he didn't play much anyway. SO now they are going to replace him with someone who played even less [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img][/quote]

so your argueing that he was good? a DT who cant get on the field infront of a crippled sam adams, jt, and a rookie and even brob playing some dt... so he was really good but sam adams and jt have bigger cars so they play more?

if the guy cant get on the field in front of players who you call trash, how can you argue that he is worth a penny?

i guess being a grumpy puss doesn't have to be logical.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='457559' date='Mar 16 2007, 06:12 PM'][quote]Actually when Fanene got healthy at the end of the season he was the one who bumped Smith from the active roster.[/quote]
So I find it ironic that you call Mike Brown stupid when you don't even have a clue about which players are active for which games.
[/quote]

Got a link to prove that?

[quote name='Storm' post='457571' date='Mar 16 2007, 02:17 PM']So I find it ironic that you call Mike Brown stupid when you don't even have a clue about which players are active for which games.
Got a link to prove that?[/quote]

[url="http://nfl.com/players/playerpage/397307/gamelogs/2006"]http://nfl.com/players/playerpage/397307/gamelogs/2006[/url]

[url="http://nfl.com/players/playerpage/552501/gamelogs/2006"]http://nfl.com/players/playerpage/552501/gamelogs/2006[/url]

retard

No. Fanene isn't Smith. His role is different. he is younger, he may be more coachable.. And if I thought that Fanene was the only guy we were going to have to replace him I would be concerned. I would rather have a DT fromn the draft than Smith... Who knows, maybe the Browns are right, and Smith will kick ass for them. Doesn't mean he would kick ass for us.

[quote name='Storm' post='457571' date='Mar 16 2007, 06:17 PM']So I find it ironic that you call Mike Brown stupid when you don't even have a clue about which players are active for which games.
Got a link to prove that?[/quote]
From the article posted above...

“In my exit interview Marvin said he felt it was best for the team if we played some other guys,” said [b]Smith, who sat while Fanene played those last three games.[/b] “They’ve got a lot of great players there. Fanene. (Defensive end) Eric Henderson is the next Adalius Thomas. I’m going to miss Paul Brown Stadium. But the Browns are a team on the rise.”

It's pretty clear he is more suited for nose tackle and it's also clear we aren't going to the 3-4. I think we were set up for that with Pollack and Thurman and all of our linebackers, but it just didn't work out. I liked Smith, but I have a hard time believing he would have made our team this year anyway.

“In my exit interview Marvin said he felt it was best for the team if we played some other guys,” said Smith, who sat while Fanene played those last three games. “They’ve got a lot of great players there. Fanene. [size=7](Defensive end) Eric Henderson is the next Adalius Thomas[/size]. I’m going to miss Paul Brown Stadium. But the Browns are a team on the rise.”

[i]Somewhere, The Wretched Mass is masturbating furiously into a ratty old towel.[/i]

Archived