Bengals interested in Anthony Adams

The following was mentioned in this weeks Tip Sheet on ESPN insider

[indent]With Smith now signed and Jeff Zgonina having agreed to terms in Houston, look for the tackle signings to pick up in coming days. The hot guys figure to be Ian Scott and Alfonso Boone, both of Chicago, and San Francisco's Anthony Adams. An undersized, penetrating tackle who performs best in a one-gap defense, Adams is drawing attention from Tampa Bay, Seattle, Cincinnati and Chicago.[/indent]

In general, Adams wouldn't be a great add but a possible replacement for Shaun Smith/john thornton

Being a Penn State fan, I remember when Adams and Jimmy Kennedy were the DT's up there, all the hype was going to Kennedy because he was making plays. When in all actualality, Adams was commanding the double teams allowing Kennedy to make plays. Kennedy was drafted in the 1st round by the Rams and became a total bust. Adams was drafted in the fourth round and ended up starting his first year in Frisco. I know his first year with the 49ers he had good stats, I really didn't follow him much after that but what I do know is that he plays hard every play and has a really high motor, a short stout player that will line up in front of you and give you all you can handle.

[quote name='Tigris' post='457980' date='Mar 17 2007, 09:59 AM']what's the new center's rating?[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

Probably a 75, something like that. Of course, this is before he gets coached up and gets game experience. So probably by the end of the year, his rating would be around a 79-81. ;)

[quote name='bengalsfan31' post='457972' date='Mar 17 2007, 09:20 AM']The following was mentioned in this weeks Tip Sheet on ESPN insider

[indent]With Smith now signed and Jeff Zgonina having agreed to terms in Houston, look for the tackle signings to pick up in coming days. The hot guys figure to be Ian Scott and Alfonso Boone, both of Chicago, and San Francisco's Anthony Adams. An undersized, penetrating tackle who performs best in a one-gap defense, Adams is drawing attention from Tampa Bay, Seattle, Cincinnati and Chicago.[/indent]

In general, Adams wouldn't be a great add but a possible replacement for Shaun Smith/john thornton[/quote]

The Chiefs signed Boone (he's off the market) and they are meeting with Scott also.

Guest Tigris
i do like the stepanovich signing... now we can spend another pick on defense.

im not really excited about the potential signing of this guy. seems like another one of those guys we bring in that does nothing special and is basically on the field (thornton, robinson). plus. with peko on the rise, is there much room for this guy to play??? especially if they end up keeping thornton, which looks like is probably going to happen [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/31.gif[/img]

[quote name='Tigris' post='457989' date='Mar 17 2007, 09:33 AM']i do like the stepanovich signing... now we can spend another pick on defense.

im not really excited about the potential signing of this guy. seems like another one of those guys we bring in that does nothing special and is basically on the field (thornton, robinson). plus. with peko on the rise, is there much room for this guy to play??? especially if they end up keeping thornton, which looks like is probably going to happen [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/31.gif[/img][/quote]

I agree with you. I think you are correct.

Somehow I feel the Bengals are waiting for someone BIG to sign in FA. I still think something WONDERFUL will happen to the Bengals.

Guest Tigris
[quote name='Rick' post='457990' date='Mar 17 2007, 10:37 AM']I agree with you. I think you are correct.

Somehow I feel the Bengals are waiting for someone BIG to sign in FA. I still think something WONDERFUL will happen to the Bengals.[/quote]
wish i shared the same hopes and feelings regarding that... i just dont see it happening. it could happen, if someone gets cut around the june 1 date for whatever (roster bonus/cap issues? i dont really know the real reason). right now, there isnt much left to get this offseason, unless we're involved in a trade

[quote name='Tigris' post='457992' date='Mar 17 2007, 09:46 AM']wish i shared the same hopes and feelings regarding that... i just dont see it happening. it could happen, if someone gets cut around the june 1 date for whatever (roster bonus/cap issues? i dont really know the real reason). right now, there isnt much left to get this offseason, unless we're involved in a trade[/quote]

I think something good will happen for us.

[quote name='BengalInPa' post='457981' date='Mar 17 2007, 09:59 AM']Being a Penn State fan, I remember when Adams and Jimmy Kennedy were the DT's up there, all the hype was going to Kennedy because he was making plays. When in all actualality, Adams was commanding the double teams allowing Kennedy to make plays. Kennedy was drafted in the 1st round by the Rams and became a total bust. Adams was drafted in the fourth round and ended up starting his first year in Frisco. I know his first year with the 49ers he had good stats, I really didn't follow him much after that but what I do know is that he plays hard every play and has a really high motor, a short stout player that will line up in front of you and give you all you can handle.[/quote]

He was a second round pick. Reminds me of Langston Moore short stout and quick.

[quote name='Kochman' post='458072' date='Mar 17 2007, 02:41 PM']He was a second round pick. Reminds me of Langston Moore short stout and quick.[/quote]

A. Adams KO'd and sacked Jay Cutler in the Niners game against the Broncos. Plummer had to take over the rest of the game.

Note: You know Plummer enjoyed seeing that hit! B)

[quote]Broncos QB Cutler leaves game with head injury
12/31/2006

DENVER (AP) -Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler left the Broncos' game with the 49ers after taking a hit from Anthony Adams early in the second quarter on Sunday.

He was replaced by Jake Plummer.

Cutler was dropping back to pass when Adams hit him from the front and then fell on top of him, causing Cutler to fumble. However, the 49ers were called for illegal contact downfield on the play and Denver kept the football.

Plummer led the Broncos to a field goal to give them a 6-0 lead in the second quarter.[/quote]

According to his stats page, he is 6'0, and 300 pounds. Damn, at that size, he is possibly unblockable, he's got natural leverage to defend his gap.

I think that the Bengals might be making a run at this guy, he sounds like the ideal ML free agent. Inexpensive, will do his job, and has a desire to be bigger in his role.

Guest Tigris

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='458010' date='Mar 17 2007, 11:43 AM']a.adams, thorton, robenson those are the kind of guys teams try to upgrade through the draft, i say no go on a. adams unless we cut thorton and get him cheaper[/quote]
i think you just mispelled half the team right there...

:ninja:

just playin

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='458189' date='Mar 17 2007, 08:22 PM']According to his stats page, he is 6'0, and 300 pounds. Damn, at that size, he is possibly unblockable, he's got natural leverage to defend his gap.
I think that the Bengals might be making a run at this guy, he sounds like the ideal ML free agent. Inexpensive, will do his job, and has a desire to be bigger in his role.[/quote]

built just like booger mcfarland.

Adams was a really good player at Penn State, and he had a very good Senior Bowl, as I recall. Good kid, too, reportedly.

At the time he was coming out in the draft, there was some talk that he might even go in round one, even though he ended up measuring in below 6'. He's a tough guy to block, and I thought he'd be a good pro. He's good at providing some pass rush up the middle, and penetrating into the backfield.

A lot of guys who were great at Penn State don't seem to do well as pros, for whatever reason. Defensive players of late - Michael Haynes, Jimmy Kennedy, Alan Zemaitis, Anwar Phillips, and Adams, for example -- just haven't made their mark. But at Adams' likely asking price, he's worth bringing in. Maybe a change of scenery would be good for him.

[quote name='texbengal' post='458273' date='Mar 18 2007, 07:42 AM']A lot of guys who were great at Penn State don't seem to do well as pros, for whatever reason. Defensive players of late - Michael Haynes, Jimmy Kennedy, Alan Zemaitis, Anwar Phillips, and Adams, for example -- just haven't made their mark.[/quote]

i know what you're talking about. it's almost gotten to the point where you feel like swearing off all of them, especially in the early rounds.

[quote]A lot of guys who were great at Penn State don't seem to do well as pros, for whatever reason. Defensive players of late - Michael Haynes, Jimmy Kennedy, Alan Zemaitis, Anwar Phillips, and Adams, for example -- just haven't made their mark.[/quote]

Ethan Kilmer is about to change all that !

[quote name='stripes' post='458003' date='Mar 17 2007, 11:24 AM']could be a good rotation guy. a role player to play on the line for d. simmons, and spell some of our starters on the d-line. i'd rather get a guy like this in FA so we don't have to spend a draft pick on a role player.[/quote]

If we can get the same production from Adams as Thornton for millions less than it is a good signing.

If not atleast we go into the draft with another player int he rotation at DT.

Now its:

Adams:Fanene/Robinson
Thornton:Peko

It will make it easier to not have to draft a DT if one does not fit us at a certain time.

Archived