Bengals looking to replace Brad St Louis ?

Guest oldschooler

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]NFL hopefuls put on a show[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]BC Pro Day offered chance for locals to strut their stuff[/b][/size]

In addition, Brown linebacker Zak DeOssie took part in segments of the workout, with Cincinnati Bengals assistant special teams coach Paul Guenther spending one-on-one time with him, [b]specifically to evaluate his long-snapping skills.[/b][/quote]

[url="http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/03/22/nfl_hopefuls_put_on_a_show/"]http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007..._put_on_a_show/[/url]

It might be a coincidence, but they may be looking at St. Louis as a player who may be in need of a change of venue. I realize that St. Louis has really only fucked up twice in the last couple of years, but they were HUGE fuckups and teammates, fans, and St. Louis himself will have this at least in the back of their minds every time special teams lines up for a field goal, extra point, or punt.

I would hope they reevaluate the long snapper role. Brad gets paid to make the routine stay routine.. And he's done a good job of that, but where he really makes his pay, is making a clutch situation with the game on the line a routine play, and he failed at that the last time he was asked.

Maybe it's just a tough break, but that's why he gets paid big bucks to throw a football between his legs.

Guest Yojimbo
[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='460413' date='Mar 22 2007, 08:46 AM']It might be a coincidence, but they may be looking at St. Louis as a player who may be in need of a change of venue. I realize that St. Louis has really only fucked up twice in the last couple of years, but they were HUGE fuckups and teammates, fans, and St. Louis himself will have this at least in the back of their minds every time special teams lines up for a field goal, extra point, or punt.[/quote]

Yep. I think the same thing.

St. Louis has been 99.9 % on the money, but he screwed up at the wrong 2 times.

If someone else has practices as good as St. Louis, I would give Brad his walking papers.

[quote name='Yojimbo' post='460419' date='Mar 22 2007, 08:52 AM']St. Louis has been 99.9 % on the money, but he screwed up at the wrong 2 times.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Homer. <_< [/b][/color]

[quote name='Yojimbo' post='460419' date='Mar 22 2007, 08:52 AM']Yep. I think the same thing.

St. Louis has been 99.9 % on the money, but he screwed up at the wrong 2 times.

If someone else has practices as good as St. Louis, I would give Brad his walking papers.[/quote]

Clear my memory here, it's the offseason.

I know about Denver; even though I was visiting in-laws in Mexico, I came home and watched that fateful fourth quarter like 6 times and cried myself to sleep like a little bitch.

What was the other time?

-jd

[quote name='doogles' post='460436' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:17 AM']Clear my memory here, it's the offseason.

I know about Denver; even though I was visiting in-laws in Mexico, I came home and watched that fateful fourth quarter like 6 times and cried myself to sleep like a little bitch.

What was the other time?

-jd[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]2005 AFC WILDCARD GAME against the Stealers...botch snap on FG attempt...early second half.[/b][/color]

I think the key is that they are looking for a guy who can long-snap, as well as contribute in other spots on the roster. I'm glad they are taking a look at DeOssie.

For all we know, they may also have a theoretical limit on how much they want to pay those three primary guys on the ST kicking team. If Larson and Graham are going to both make >$1M, then perhaps saving $400,000 on a long-snapper would put them back at the maximum % that those three guys should eat in cap space.

It shouldn't be that interesting...But it is.

BZ

Guest Yojimbo
[quote name='sneaky' post='460437' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:20 AM'][color="#FF0000"][b]2005 AFC WILDCARD GAME against the Stealers...botch snap on FG attempt...early second half.[/b][/color][/quote]

Yep.

2 seasons in a row, when the marbles were all on the line, aspects of this team crumbled.

I am all for bringing in competition for and hopefully replacing any and all of the "crumblers."

Except Chad. I wish he didn't crumble during crunch time but he is so f'n awesome any other time that you just hope he will get over it with some more playoff atmosphere experience.

Guest Yojimbo

[quote name='sneaky' post='460421' date='Mar 22 2007, 08:56 AM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Homer. <_< [/b][/color][/quote]

[img]http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/Princess_inigo_montoya_small.jpg[/img]

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." ;)

[quote name='sneaky' post='460437' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:20 AM'][color="#ff0000"][b]2005 AFC WILDCARD GAME against the Stealers...botch snap on FG attempt...early second half.[/b][/color][/quote]

Hrm. I was at that game and don't recall this. I guess I blocked that whole day out of my memory.

-jd

[quote name='Yojimbo' post='460446' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:43 AM'][img]http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/Princess_inigo_montoya_small.jpg[/img]

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." ;)[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]How can a long snapper make 2 or more mistakes and still be "on the money, 99.9%
of the time" ??? That don't make sense. That is "Homer Mathematics". And you sir, are
a "homer"....the worst kind of "homer".....a "neo-con homer". You are the kind of "homer"
that persecutes other "homers" while pretending not to be a "homer", but you are secretly
a big time "homer" and probably the star of many underground "homer" videos.

Don't tell me, you dont think it means, what I think it means, when I know damn sure what it means.

Know what I mean?

:onoudidnt: [/b][/color]

Guest Yojimbo

[quote name='sneaky' post='460458' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:59 AM']How can a long snapper make 2 or more mistakes and still be "on the money, 99.9%
of the time" ??? That don't make sense.[/quote]

Well, roughly 2000 snaps in practice and in games, with 2 mistakes would be...

anyone?

[img]http://home.kc.rr.com/sgoller/horshack.jpg[/img]

"OOOOOOH, OOOOOH, I KNOW"

...nah, we'll let sneaky answer that one. He's a smart guy. Plus, I hear Windows comes with a calculator now.

[quote]That is "Homer Mathematics". And you sir, are
a "homer"....the worst kind of "homer".....a "neo-con homer". You are the kind of "homer"
that persecutes other "homers" while pretending not to be a "homer", but you are secretly
a big time "homer" and probably the star of many underground "homer" videos.

Don't tell me, you dont think it means, what I think it means, when I know damn sure what it means.[/quote]

Ummm...ok? Homers Gone Wild III "Wordettes on Campus" is available on DVD now if anyone is interested.

[quote]Know what I mean?

:onoudidnt:[/quote]

In this thread? Not a clue. :???:

Guest Yojimbo
[quote name='Lucid' post='460468' date='Mar 22 2007, 10:19 AM']!!ATTENTION, Public Service Anouncement!!

Yojimbo is a grump ol' cuss with no sense of humor. Any attempt at levity will be greeted with scorn and derision.[/quote]

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/StatlerAndWaldorf.jpg[/img]

Statler: I don't know why I bother sometimes...

Waldorf: I don't know why you bother ever.

Both: Ahhahahahahahhahaha!

[color="#FF0000"][b]Wow, now I see what the others talk about....... :mellow:

But I'm bored and at work, so I will play along.[/b][/color]

[quote name='Yojimbo' post='460463' date='Mar 22 2007, 10:14 AM']Well, roughly 2000 snaps in practice and in games, with 2 mistakes would be...

anyone?

[img]http://home.kc.rr.com/sgoller/horshack.jpg[/img]

"OOOOOOH, OOOOOH, I KNOW"
...nah, we'll let sneaky answer that one. He's a smart guy. Plus, I hear Windows comes with a calculator now.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Kind of convienent to come up with that number (2000). However, the 99.9% would only
hold true if snaps in practice counted......which they dont, and if he never botched
a snap in practice......which I'm sure he has. Thanks for turning my comedy schtick
into a flame war. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img] [/b][/color]

[quote]Ummm...ok? Homers Gone Wild III "Wordettes on Campus" is available on DVD now if anyone is interested.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Does any of your videos co-star Rod Majors?[/b][/color]

[quote name='sneaky' post='460501' date='Mar 22 2007, 03:17 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Wow, now I see what the others talk about....... :mellow:

But I'm bored and at work, so I will play along.[/b][/color]
[color="#FF0000"][b]Kind of convienent to come up with that number (2000). However, the 99.9% would only
hold true if snaps in practice counted......which they dont, and if he never botched
a snap in practice......which I'm sure he has. Thanks for turning my comedy schtick
into a flame war. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img] [/b][/color]
[color="#FF0000"][b]Does any of your videos co-star Rod Majors?[/b][/color][/quote]
Yoji is Rod Majors :ninja:

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='460547' date='Mar 22 2007, 04:05 PM']Move along folks.

Nothing to see here, just another thread that goes up in flames.
Got a fire hose? :imitates fire siren:[/quote]
Alright, so help get the thread back on track...

Someone has Deossie in a mock draft in another thread for his long snap capabilities, among others. I wouldn't mind him, but I wonder why we wouldn't let Wilkerson long snap first. He has that skill, if I remember right, and with Stepanovich on the roster, that might be the reason Wilkerson stays around.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='460553' date='Mar 22 2007, 12:12 PM']Alright, so help get the thread back on track...

Someone has Deossie in a mock draft in another thread for his long snap capabilities, among others. I wouldn't mind him, but I wonder why we wouldn't let Wilkerson long snap first. He has that skill, if I remember right, and with Stepanovich on the roster, that might be the reason Wilkerson stays around.[/quote]

If we could get someone who could contribute beyond long snapping.... I say go for it. Is it Wilkerson or a Deossi, I think they could bring value to the team. Kinda along the lines of those pimping for Mcneal to be the 3rd qB. I'm not a fan of Mcneal, but I could certainly see the benefit of getting out of the traditional roles of long snapper and 3rd Qb.

Archived