Goodell ready to drop iron fist

Guest oldschooler

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Goodell ready to drop iron fist [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 26, 2007

Updated: 6:55 p.m.

It might not be time just yet to call him Kenesaw Mountain Goodell in honor of baseball’s first commissioner that ruled with an iron fist. But NFL commissioner Roger Goodell made it clear Monday he’ll be harsher on repeat offenders.

That could be Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry, but Goodell said he plans to meet with Henry before he makes a decision.

“There are a very few number of players. I think they are tainting the league,” Goodell said. “I think they are tainting the other players. We need to get to it as quickly as possible and remove it. … I probably have less understanding than most … it’s about protecting the shield...I assure you it will be stronger....We are expecting discipline will be stepped up."

Goodell said he plans to meet with Henry before rendering a decision on what many expect to be a multi-game suspension under the NFL’s new get-tough policy for criminal behavior for his third and fourth arrests. Goodell indicated his call would come down before the April 28-29 draft.

“I’m hearing some prior to the draft and I’ll have a decision prior to the draft on some cases,” Goodell said when asked about lingering cases.

Goodell said the new policy won’t be retroactive, but he made it clear it will be tough: “The players that have had repeat offenses, we’ll be dealing with them pretty harshly.”

Goodell’s revised policy will be discussed Tuesday with the coaches and owners and is expected to be adopted in the next few weeks. But he did say Monday that he’s for fining and/or taking away draft picks from teams with repeat offenders. He indicated he would be going after teams that don’t have "best practices," in place.

During the Bengals’ spree of nine player arrests since January of 2006, Goodell offered more counseling to the Bengals and the club used some of them. When asked if he was satisfied with how the Bengals have responded to their players, Goodell said, “They’ve been very cooperative.”

Goodell characterized "best practices," as educational and understanding of local laws and issues. The league also plans to expand the rookie symposium, which has dealt with the off-field transition for about a decade.

Goodell has been talking tough because he’s got plenty of support from players, coaches, and club execs. When a guy like the esteemed Tony Dungy backs you no questions asked, it helps.

Dungy, head coach of the Super Bowl champion Colts, agrees with Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis and would like more say in discipline.

“I’d like to have more autonomy. There are times I wanted to do things and couldn’t because it was collectively bargained or because it was league policy,” Dungy said. “If you tell guys what you expect and what you want and you have the power to enforce it, you’ll get what you want a lot of the time.”

Goodell said the new policy is going to have guidelines, but he also said there won’t be as anything as definitive “three strikes and your out,” for a year. But he also said he thinks he has the backing of people in the NFL that they don’t have to wait for the judicial process to be resolved before dealing with repeat offenders. No one seems to mind right now that Goodell’s discretion looks to be a bigger factor than any guideline.

“I’m fine with that if he makes it a tough policy,” Dungy said. “Which I think he will.”

Chiefs president Carl Peterson echoed the hallways buzzing with Goodell’s commitment to conduct as one of his top priorities.

“It’s clear the NFL is listening,” Peterson said. “I’m looking for reasons (for the rise and scrutiny of criminal behavior). The media is so fast, so quick, it gets out there so quickly. There’s no place to hide. You can’t sweep it under the rug. The fans have a right to know when players are (misbehaving) on and off the field. Image is very important. It’s essential to the continued success of the league.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5953"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5953[/url]

[quote name='cinbngl2sbXL' post='462740' date='Mar 27 2007, 12:15 AM']I would just like to know, how in the hell is Goodell going to suspend Henry, when he's already been punished for what he did. Bullshit, if you ask me.[/quote]

Exactly <_<

[quote name='cinbngl2sbXL' post='462740' date='Mar 26 2007, 08:15 PM']I would just like to know, how in the hell is Goodell going to suspend Henry, when he's already been punished for what he did. Bullshit, if you ask me.[/quote]

I agree also!!!

[quote name='GoBengals' post='462771' date='Mar 26 2007, 09:33 PM']i say henry walks.

and i repeat, hobson is retarded and never knows what he is talking about...[/quote]

henry walks? nooooooo what are you...nah i won't start a bunch of shit

but you are right hob is pretty dumb

[quote name='JC' post='462774' date='Mar 26 2007, 09:39 PM']I hope Bennie can be a serious contributer in those 4 games if he is indeed suspended. I really want him for the baltimore game though. Hopefully he is back for Pitt.[/quote]

Henry owns pissburg!!! That is a game he has to play.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='462796' date='Mar 26 2007, 10:28 PM']Am I mistaken in thinking that Henry still has [b]2 unresolved court cases[/b], which if he doesn't walk away clear, the NFL would be within its rights to punish him under the new policy?
Please say yes...[/quote]

2? one at most i think. tho i could be wrong. what was the most recent one? whatever it was, depending on the wording of the verdict he could skate as far as the NFL is concerned.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='462796' date='Mar 26 2007, 10:28 PM']Am I mistaken in thinking that Henry still has [b]2 unresolved court cases[/b], which if he doesn't walk away clear, the NFL would be within its rights to punish him under the new policy?
Please say yes...[/quote]

Unfortunately Henry did still had 2 unresolved cases. The DUI (which was reduced to wreck op) and the underage drinking thing which were both resolved in January. When he was suspended last season for 2 games by the NFL those cases had not been resolved and were pending judication.

Although the DUI was reduced, it was a plea. A Plea deal is considered differently by the NFL FO per the CBA. Also, if you recall, per the plea he was not to drink alcohol, be in an establishment of alcohol, etc..... So there is no doubt it was a plea deal.

And same with the underage drinking which he did serve 2 days in jail.

The good news is these acts occured before this new policy. And Henry has been clean and straight as an arrow by all accounts since the Thurman DUI.

The pessimist in me says 4 to 8 games. The optimist says 2 games.

Carl Peterson is a pompous ass that deserves to get some Robert Gaethers treatment.

With that out of the way, I thought that Henry had zero court cases pending. Didn't he recently plead guilty to lesser offenses for the alcohol to minors and the drunk driving cases? Or am I mixing him up with one of our many other criminals? Deltha, maybe?

EDIT: Phatcat answered before I even posted. Nevermind.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='462802' date='Mar 26 2007, 10:42 PM']Unfortunately Henry did still had 2 unresolved cases. The DUI (which was reduced to wreck op) and the underage drinking thing which were both resolved in January. When he was suspended last season for 2 games by the NFL those cases had not been resolved and were pending judication.

Although the DUI was reduced, it was a plea. A Plea deal is considered differently by the NFL FO per the CBA. Also, if you recall, per the plea he was not to drink alcohol, be in an establishment of alcohol, etc..... So there is no doubt it was a plea deal.

The good news is these acts occured before this new policy. And Henry has been clean and straight as an arrow by all accounts since the Thurman DUI.

The pessimist in me says 4 to 8 games. The optimist says 2 games.[/quote]

he cant get suspended for a traffic violation such as wreckless operation. reguardless of the injunctions of the deal, atleast one would think, when i was a minor i did something silly in the area of trying to get a fake ID when i was 17, and part of the "deal" i got aside from community service was that if i was caught in a similar act OR caught with tobacco or alcohol or drugs i would be serving a sentence stronger for the previous fake id incident, so if i were an nfl player, they cant consider it a drug/alcohol related crime, as the plea makes him guilty of wreckless op and nothing else.

PS: every fucking book on the mason public library shelf i put there.. damn community service, damn being a retarded 17 yr old with too much time on my hands..

[quote name='Phatcat' post='462802' date='Mar 26 2007, 10:42 PM']Unfortunately Henry did still had 2 unresolved cases. The DUI (which was reduced to wreck op) and the underage drinking thing which were both resolved in January. When he was suspended last season for 2 games by the NFL those cases had not been resolved and were pending judication.

The pessimist in me says 4 to 8 games. The optimist says 2 games.[/quote]

This is only a small part of what Goodell has planned. His next step is for the teams to take it on the chin if a player gets in trouble. He plans to limit or reduce a team's cap size and / or fine (he might do both and has the power) as punishment to the team.

He will have order, ...at all costs inflicted, ...and suffered upon everyone!

Can you imagine how this will affect the small market teams (like us)?

[quote name='Jeb' post='462811' date='Mar 26 2007, 10:55 PM']This is only a small part of what Goodell has planned. His next step is for the teams to take it on the chin if a player gets in trouble. He plans to limit or reduce a team's cap size and / or fine (he might do both and has the power) as punishment to the team.

He will have order, ...at all costs inflicted, ...and suffered upon everyone!

Can you imagine how this will affect the small market teams (like us)?[/quote]

cripes

[quote name='GoBengals' post='462815' date='Mar 26 2007, 10:59 PM']cripes[/quote]

ESPN has an article on this (actually they chronicle this whole idea of his from its inception in multiple articles) ...its scary, ...really, ...really, ...bad news!

Edit: Sorry, the latest article on this was in SI. Here's the relevant paragraph and a link ...

[quote]3. There will be discipline for teams, as Goodell hinted at in February at the Super Bowl. It may take the form of fines, or of teams having their salary-cap number reduced relative to violations of their players. There's little doubt this will be the toughest sell here. The Bengals and Raiders are already upset over this tweaking of the policy, in part because the last collective bargaining agreement between players and owners made it tougher for teams to impose discipline on players. Right now, teams cannot recoup percentages of signing bonuses, for instance, if players are suspended for substance-abuse or personal-conduct violations. But those close to Goodell think teams like Cincinnati, which has taken chances on talented players with past convictions on their resume, will now have to think twice before signing risky players.[/quote]

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/03/26/0326/index.html"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...0326/index.html[/url]

They are mad at us for taking the cheap talented misfits and this will teach us a lesson and keep us under the league's thumb for a while. Its meant to keep us from getting these type of players in the future and we will not be as competitive for it. Then again, it will hit other teams too in the same negative way but by then they will alter the rules to relax them a bit. By then, the damage will already be done to us and therefore it should be referred to as the "Nati rule."

This law is insidious in that the teams have no control over players conduct because of the new CBA but also because it will put players in a tenuous position. Teams are at the mercy of a miscreant player who just might move to another team in free agency and saddle the old team with a "cap restriction fine" for the following season. That player is no longer there but the team could hardly afford to keep him anyway.

College players can be blackmailed from crazy vindictive girlfriends all the way down to just malevolent acquaintances or maybe even someone they do not even know but can't prove it. It has the possibility of creating "black lists" of undesirable players not suited for the NFL. Its hardly a concept I would endorse but it is the road the NFL wishes to travel.

Gone will be the days of a guy like Ahmad Brooks who only needed a second chance.

There is a sickness to this thought, much like the eugenics crowd espouse. Its just plain un-American. Tampering with genetics and weeding out undesirable traits to create a "master race" is a fools errand. This proposed rule would weed out the undesirable misfit players. Dream the dream of a moron and sleep light tonight NFL for tomorrow your league goes bereft, barren, and bankrupt.

Btw, ...the price of an average NFL scrub player with no history of past trouble just went through the roof!

[quote]It has the possibility of creating "black lists" of undesirable players not suited for the NFL.[/quote]

While I don't in any way doubt your statement, if this were to come to fruition, even a half-assed lawyer would be able to take the NFL to town for it.

Don't believe me? Just ask baseball circa 1970ish....

[quote name='Elflocko' post='462849' date='Mar 27 2007, 01:12 AM']While I don't in any way doubt your statement, if this were to come to fruition, even a half-assed lawyer would be able to take the NFL to town for it.

Don't believe me? Just ask baseball circa 1970ish....[/quote]

Yeah, ...I agree. Also, it would take time for a lawsuit and the damage would be done.

[center]Forget the 'iron fist.' If Goodell gives Henry any more shit, I'll give him the
[font="Impact"][b][color="#FF0000"][size=3]Rubber Fist![/size][/color][/b][/font]
[img]http://img1.adultstoresales.com/images/product/gwse2470_01a.jpg[/img][/center]

:blink:

Archived