The Head Coach Poll

All time favorite  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your all time favorite head coach for the Bengals?

• Paul Brown
    • Forrest Gregg
    • Sam Wyche
    • Marvin Lewis
    • Other - Name below

Guest Tigris
I couldn't vote. I've been around for Shula, Coslet, Lebaue (sp.), and Marvin, but I didn't really pay much attention to the coach when I was a kid, so I dind't vote. I don't even know who was before Shula.

Sam Wyche seemed like a pretty cool guy, though. Wish I was around for him.

Sam will be my favorite until someone else brings home The Trophy. Between his feud with Jerry Glanville, his "you don't live in Cleveland", and the gatorade duel with Fulcher at the end of the 88 AFCC game, he had more personality than any other head coach we have had.

Guest Tigris
Elaborate on the Glanville (i know he used to coach the falcons, correct?) and the gatorade thing? Always up for a little Bengal history.

Guest schotzee

When Glanville was with the Oilers ,Sam ran up the score big time on them.Went for onside kick when we were up big,went for the extra two :thumbsup: :D .Yeah ,Sam didn't like him much.The Fulcher episode I don't recall exactly.

Guest Tigris

[quote name='schotzee' post='465158' date='Mar 31 2007, 10:40 AM']When Glanville was with the Oilers ,Sam ran up the score big time on them.Went for onside kick when we were up big,went for the extra two :thumbsup: :D .Yeah ,Sam didn't like him much.The Fulcher episode I don't recall exactly.[/quote]
Ahhhh yes. I've heard the story. Funny. :headbang:

Guest Tigris

[quote name='dustmck' post='465170' date='Mar 31 2007, 11:24 AM']Sam Wyche

After winning AFC championship game- "I'm going to King's island!" :headbang:[/quote]
The more I hear about this guy, I like... again, :headbang:

sounds like a hell of a guy. anyone know what he's doing now?

Guest Tigris
In regards to the "you dont live in cleveland" comment he made. If you made that comment now-a-days, the media would make that coach into the biggest ass hole to ever walk through an NFL tunnel. Maybe that's why most of the NFL coaches are so bland and boring anymore...

Too all you young fans and posters. Forrest Gregg by far. Turned a really shitty team after two 4-12 seasons into a Super Bowl contender! I'm convinced Gregg would have won a couple of SuperBowl's. Sam was OK his teams were up and down too much! Gregg's team was as hard nosed as he was. Brought that smash mouth football to Cincy. Sam's team never had the heart Gregg's team did! If Gregg had the talent Marvin has we'd have at least one ring!

Guest schotzee

[quote name='ABQBENGAL' post='465182' date='Mar 31 2007, 11:46 AM']Too all you young fans and posters. Forrest Gregg by far. Turned a really shitty team after two 4-12 seasons into a Super Bowl contender! I'm convinced Gregg would have won a couple of SuperBowl's. Sam was OK his teams were up and down too much! Gregg's team was as hard nosed as he was. Brought that smash mouth football to Cincy. Sam's team never had the heart Gregg's team did! If Gregg had the talent Marvin has we'd have at least one ring![/quote]

I'll give you his teams might have been a little up and down but he turned around a shitty team as well the year he took us to the superbowl,and we were 8-0 that year at home.Greggs right up there too,I see what your saying but I gave Sam the edge. Gregg's nervous twitch drove me a little nuts though :D .

[quote name='Tigris' post='465152' date='Mar 31 2007, 10:26 AM']Elaborate on the Glanville (i know he used to coach the falcons, correct?) [b]and the gatorade thing? [/b]Always up for a little Bengal history.[/quote]

Fulcher was trying to sneak up on him to give him a Gatorade Shower at the end of the AFCC game. He must have seen it out of the corner of his eye, and he grabbed a gatorade bucket. They started splashing it on each other, and when they were both out of liquid, they gave each other a big bear hug.

[quote name='Tigris' post='465176' date='Mar 31 2007, 11:35 AM']The more I hear about this guy, I like... again, :headbang:

sounds like a hell of a guy. anyone know what he's doing now?[/quote]

I [i]think[/i] he is a high school football coach somewhere. I think he had throat cancer, or something like that a few years ago.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Wyche"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Wyche[/url]

Timeline
1945: Born January 5 in Atlanta
1963-65: Played quarterback at Furman University
1967: Attended University of South Carolina, received MBA, also was assistant coach
1968: Played for the Wheeling Ironmen of the Continental Football League
1968-1970: Played quarterback for the Cincinnati Bengals
1971-1973: Played for Washington Redskins (played in Super Bowl VII)
1974: Played for Detroit Lions
1976: Played for St. Louis Cardinals
1976: Played for Buffalo Bills
1979-1982: Assistant coach for San Francisco 49ers (Directed the passing game)
1983: Head coach Indiana University
1984-1991: Head coach Cincinnati Bengals
1992-1995: Head coach for Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1996: Worked as a sports analyst with Marv Albert on a weekly NFL game for NBC
1997-1998: Was promoted to the studio on NBC's weekly pre-game and half time shows
1998-1999: Worked as an analyst by CBS with Kevin Harlan on the weekly NFL games
2000: Underwent a biopsy on lymph nodes in his chest. His left vocal cord was severed during the procedure, leaving his voice consistently hoarse and scratchy.
2004-2006: Volunteer at Pickens High School (South Carolina) - Public Speaker
2004-2005: Quarterbacks coach for Buffalo Bills
2006: Named commentator on Westwood One's NFL Thursday night coverage, partnered with Dick Enberg

Guest BengalBacker

[quote name='dustmck' post='465170' date='Mar 31 2007, 11:24 AM']Sam Wyche

After winning AFC championship game- "I'm going to King's island!" :headbang:[/quote]

Kings Island

Gatorade

[quote name='Tigris' post='465152' date='Mar 31 2007, 10:26 AM']Elaborate on the Glanville (i know he used to coach the falcons, correct?) and the gatorade thing? Always up for a little Bengal history.[/quote]

Ahhhh I was at the game against Houston when we destroyed them and the entire stadium was chanting J-E-R-R-Y...J-E-R-R-Y... Good Times!

Guest BengalBacker
Not long before the game where we ran up the score on Houston, Glanville had called Sam Wicky Wacky.

Sam shut him the fuck up.

Guest Tigris

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='465254' date='Mar 31 2007, 02:55 PM']Not long before the game where we ran up the score on Houston, Glanville had called [b]Sam Wicky Wacky.[/b]

Sam shut him the fuck up.[/quote]
What an insult... <_<

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='465217' date='Mar 31 2007, 11:42 AM']Yeah, he had a broadcasting job, but his throat cancer forced him to leave. His voice became very scratchy or non-exisitant, if I remember correctly.

Before the booth, I think he worked with the Bills as a QB coach?[/quote]

If I remember correctly, it wasn't throat cancer.

Sam has a chronic heart condition, and when they were treating him for that were putting in a chest tube (or other medical dohicky) down his throat and severed one of his vocal cords.

No cancer to my knowledge, but the condition he has will eventually require a heart transplant. I just read an article about him recently and he said his doctor is always surprised he's still alive since he theoretically needed the transplant 10 years ago or something...

Guest Tigris
[quote name='Elflocko' post='465274' date='Mar 31 2007, 03:47 PM']If I remember correctly, it wasn't throat cancer.

Sam has a chronic heart condition, and when they were treating him for that were putting in a chest tube (or other medical dohicky) down his throat and severed one of his vocal cords.

No cancer to my knowledge, but the condition he has will eventually require a heart transplant. I just read an article about him recently and he said his doctor is always surprised he's still alive since he theoretically needed the transplant 10 years ago or something...[/quote]
I thought that said something about lymph nodes, which are associated with cancer a lot of the time.

Archived