Why not doss?

In the topic about the Bengals being on the clock on ESPN, I mentioned that I have heard Madiue Williams is moving to corner.

If this is true AND Mel Kiper is right and we are picking a linebacker, why do we not try to sign a safety that would fit perfect with us... MIKE DOSS?

Doss was a stud at Ohio State and was playing good for the Colts before his injury.

What do you guys think?

quick note: try to be specific in thread titles, people wanna know what they are about to read if its a topic they dont like they can avoid it. i changed your a bit to fit the topic you posted.

as for the topic, madieu isnt going to corner. no one with any clout says he is, there is no reason to send him there, we have zero depth at safety, he came back from injury and had a mediocre year, he was hardly a spur in the defenses side this past season, he has a year left on his contract here i think so its his time to prove his value here at safety, we cant afford to start a rookie at safety and doss with his gun issue isnt stepping foot here, reguardless of how long ago, image counts in the nfl apparently, and doss wont help ours. lastly, what he did at OSU means nothing. to dominate a buncha future car insurance salesman isnt that impressive. he has done well in the nfl, but nothing magical, or he wouldnt have been let go and would have already found a new team.

a lot can be said about a guy by what others do when they are free, like sam adams left city after city without deals, he was aged damaged goods, i think he improves as he is healthy but this is his last leg. he came here and played for peanuts for a reason.

if doss was worth a damn, guy like archuletta wouldnt be getting huge deals across the league.

It's all about the character issues.

If we want to start over, we must take the year off from hiring those kinda guys. Then we'll resume what every other team does the following year.

If we sign more, even if we have no more incidences, we'll be known for the next 2 years as the thugs and hooligans.

Guest Tigris
we didnt have enough room to sign kk. doss wont come much cheaper. face it, we're not getting another player that we've heard of until the draft

[quote name='Tigris' post='465706' date='Apr 2 2007, 01:42 AM']we didnt have enough room to sign kk. doss wont come much cheaper. face it, we're not getting another player that we've heard of until the draft[/quote]

Unfortunately, I think Doss is only 75% the player that KK is...Or he would be on a roster already. He hasn't proven anything.

Just the same, though...I'd bring him to camp if no one shows any interest over the next two months and he is desperate enough to sign the right deal.

BZ

[quote name='TheBZ' post='465711' date='Apr 2 2007, 07:58 AM']Unfortunately, I think Doss is only 75% the player that KK is...Or he would be on a roster already. He hasn't proven anything.

Just the same, though...I'd bring him to camp if no one shows any interest over the next two months and he is desperate enough to sign the right deal.

BZ[/quote]
I think Doss is about 75% of KK in coverage, KK is prolly 75 of Doss at stopping the run. Point being, we don't need another incomplete veteran safety. We need to groom a young all-rounder who can do both for years to come.

I'm with you though. If the draft doesn't break the right way and we don't end up with Griffin in the first or Sabatelli in the 2nd, etc, I'd invite Doss to camp if he was a available. The Buckeye homers like myself won't be thinking gun charge, we'll be thinking 2002 Nat'l Champs. If he beats out Kilmer, Indy and Busing, then it's a good pickup. If he doesn't, it's even better news because our young guys are improving.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='465716' date='Apr 2 2007, 07:05 AM']Point being, we don't need another incomplete veteran safety. We need to groom a young all-rounder who can do both for years to come.[/quote]

Isn't this the most valid point that has been made since the off season started? Especially during the FA period?

With the exception of A. Thomas, London Fletchr, and Nate Clements (all who were drastically overpriced, though I would've overpaid for Thomas) the rest of what was available out there was an "incomplete veteran" who would just take time away from our young talented guys to develop their skills.

Props WhoDeyUK for nailing this one down with finality.

:headbang:

Guest OzBengal
I would sign him to a one year contract (like Stepanovich) and let him prove he can still play and stay out of trouble. He really isn't worth a big long term contract. There are better players and better citizens we can give our money to.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='465716' date='Apr 2 2007, 06:05 AM']I think Doss is about 75% of KK in coverage, KK is prolly 75 of Doss at stopping the run. Point being, we don't need another incomplete veteran safety. We need to groom a young all-rounder who can do both for years to come.

I'm with you though. If the draft doesn't break the right way and we don't end up with Griffin in the first or Sabatelli in the 2nd, etc, I'd invite Doss to camp if he was a available. The Buckeye homers like myself won't be thinking gun charge, we'll be thinking 2002 Nat'l Champs. If he beats out Kilmer, Indy and Busing, then it's a good pickup. If he doesn't, it's even better news because our young guys are improving.[/quote]

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='465721' date='Apr 2 2007, 06:17 AM']Isn't this the most valid point that has been made since the off season started? Especially during the FA period?

With the exception of A. Thomas, London Fletchr, and Nate Clements (all who were drastically overpriced, though I would've overpaid for Thomas) the rest of what was available out there was an "incomplete veteran" who would just take time away from our young talented guys to develop their skills.

Props WhoDeyUK for nailing this one down with finality.

:headbang:[/quote]

Agreed, Uk nailed it. And IMO we are seeing a slight change in philosophy. Over Marvin's tenure we have brought in atleast 2 defensive UFA's every season with the expectation they will start - until this year. This year, we are IMO seeing a full committment to the young guns. This may result in some early struggles at some positions (ie Linebacker and depth in the DB area), but could/should provide huge dividends as the season progresses and into the future.

Guest Yojimbo
[quote name='Phatcat' post='465735' date='Apr 2 2007, 08:24 AM']Agreed, Uk nailed it. And IMO we are seeing a slight change in philosophy. Over Marvin's tenure we have brought in atleast 2 defensive UFA's every season with the expectation they will start - until this year.[/quote]

Thats true. And except for the Adams and Jackson injuries, they all started, didnt they?

[quote]This year, we are IMO seeing a full committment to the young guns.[/quote]

lol thats one way to look at it. Up the creek without a paddle would be another way to look at it.

[quote]This may result in some early struggles at some positions (ie Linebacker and depth in the DB area),[/quote]

ya think? Why would you think that lining up a bunch of CFL calibur players at LB would cause us to struggle? Oh wait...all last season...thats right... we were gonna address those glaring holes at the LB positions. I remember now.

[quote]but could/should provide huge dividends as the season progresses and into the future.[/quote]

I agree. I also have some swampland in Florida to sell you. Sure it is shit now, and has been shit for the past 5 years, but I am telling you, 2007 will be a big year for swampland.

P.S. I like you optimism, but I just think its funny that people want to rip into that one guy for suggesting a Zach Thomas trade, while at the same time thinking that the Bengals D as it stands now will somehow "provide huge dividends as the season progresses and into the future."

F'n delusional.

This years LB corps will provide huge dividends the way Kim Herring and Nate Webster provided huge dividends. Same calibur no-talent never-weres.

[quote name='Yojimbo' post='465814' date='Apr 2 2007, 11:57 AM']Thats true. And except for the Adams and Jackson injuries, they all started, didnt they?
lol thats one way to look at it. Up the creek without a paddle would be another way to look at it.
ya think? Why would you think that lining up a bunch of CFL calibur players at LB would cause us to struggle? Oh wait...all last season...thats right... we were gonna address those glaring holes at the LB positions. I remember now.
I agree. I also have some swampland in Florida to sell you. Sure it is shit now, and has been shit for the past 5 years, but I am telling you, 2007 will be a big year for swampland.

P.S. I like you optimism, but I just think its funny that people want to rip into that one guy for suggesting a Zach Thomas trade, while at the same time thinking that the Bengals D as it stands now will somehow "provide huge dividends as the season progresses and into the future."

F'n delusional.

This years LB corps will provide huge dividends the way Kim Herring and Nate Webster provided huge dividends. Same calibur no-talent never-weres.[/quote]

you dont think brooks and jeanty will be much improved over last season? you dont think jojo starting over james alone is a big step forward? how many games did we lose to "3rd and James" scenarios?

health and education/experiences improves this defense by about 8-10 spots, if some taletned depth through the draft can get us to top 18-15 defense, we can easily snag the division with our top 5 offense.

[quote name='chenry15' post='465690' date='Apr 1 2007, 11:56 PM']In the topic about the Bengals being on the clock on ESPN, I mentioned that I have heard Madiue Williams is moving to corner.

If this is true AND Mel Kiper is right and we are picking a linebacker, why do we not try to sign a safety that would fit perfect with us... MIKE DOSS?

Doss was a stud at Ohio State and was playing good for the Colts before his injury.

What do you guys think?[/quote]

Kiper is wrong. We are not picking a linebacker on the first day. I can guarantee that.

Kiper obviously doesnt pay much attention to the Bengals depth chart. Our problem at linebacker isnt a lack of talent. Between Brooks, Jeanty and Nicholson we have plenty of talent. Its just that all of that talent is young and unproven. So how does it solve out problem to add [u]MORE[/u][b][/b] young, unproven talent with a first round draft pick? It makes no sense to pick a LB on the first day.

Kiper also said that the Bengals should trade up in the second round to find a replacement for Steinbach. I guess Kiper has never heard of Andrew Whitworth or Stacy Andrews.

[quote name='Yojimbo' post='465814' date='Apr 2 2007, 11:57 AM']Thats true. And except for the Adams and Jackson injuries, they all started, didnt they?

F'n delusional.

This years LB corps will provide huge dividends the way Kim Herring and Nate Webster provided huge dividends. Same calibur no-talent never-weres.[/quote]

[b]Note: This is a test of the actual football dialogue system. This is an attempt at an actual football dialogue.[/b]

Do you really think that our LB corp will be no better and that they are no talent never weres?

I think that Brooks and Jeanty will be, at the very least, as good as Simmons was last year. At the best, we could have a damn good LB corp. Brooks is talented as hell and Jeanty has flashed above average skills.

If you don't see that, perhaps the "F'n delusional" should be said while you look in the mirror tomorrow.

[b]Note: This was a test of the football dialog system, this was only a test, if this had been an actual dialogue, you would've been referred to local authorities on where to deposit the gold from the pot at the end of the rainbow.

Regard all further alarms. [/b]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='465819' date='Apr 2 2007, 12:04 PM']you dont think brooks and jeanty will be much improved over last season? you dont think jojo starting over james alone is a big step forward? how many games did we lose to "3rd and James" scenarios?

health and education/experiences improves this defense by about 8-10 spots, if some taletned depth through the draft can get us to top 18-15 defense, we can easily snag the division with our top 5 offense.[/quote]

Agreed. I posted this over a month ago, but I think it applies to this thread as well:

[i]The projected '07 defensive starters:
DL: Robinson/Geathers, Adams, JT, Smith
LB: Jeanty, Brooks/Miller, Johnson
DB: JonJo, Madieu, Dexter, Oneal

If you look further, it is the starting lineup of the Defense for the 4 game midseason win streak. With the main exceptions being KK started two of those game, with Dexter starting the other two at Safety. And James starting in place of Oneal.

[b]I know folks can say we were not playing offensive juggernauts, but on average we kept those teams [size=2]10.1 points below their season average[/size]. [/b]

New Orleans: Avg 25.8 points/game - Bengals gave up 16 points
Baltimore: Avg. 22.7 points/game - Bengals gave up 7 (thanks to 3rd and Tory)
Cleveland: Avg. 14.9 points/game - Bengals pitch shutout (only shutout of the season for Cleveland)
Oakland: Avg. 10.5 points/game - Bengals gave up 10[/i]

Those are the facts.

why spend cap money for a band aide to fix d problems when the real problem is the younger guys lack experience? the only way to fix that problem is to let the guys play. there's plenty of talent on our d. they wouldn't be paid to dress if they weren't. :afropic:

We should just stick what with we got i mean we are doing great and if Chris Perry is healthy and Chris Henry isnt in jail the i think we will be twice as good as last year. If Odell Thurman does come back then he will play middle linebacker and move Ahmand Brooks to the outside.
Go Gators! :headbang:

Guest Bengals1181

[quote name='WhoDeeez' post='465863' date='Apr 2 2007, 01:32 PM']why spend cap money for a band aide to fix d problems when the real problem is the younger guys lack experience? the only way to fix that problem is to let the guys play. there's plenty of talent on our d. they wouldn't be paid to dress if they weren't. :afropic:[/quote]

because we needed depth at safety? It's also not like Doss is old.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='466756' date='Apr 4 2007, 09:56 AM']Horseshit. :onoudidnt:

We didn't want him.[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that, chief.

Archived