I am really, really, beginning to like this Marvin White kid.......

Guest ONYX

[quote][b]Safety's hits impress Bengals[/b]

By Tom Archdeacon

Monday, April 30, 2007

CINCINNATI — They are the two biggest hits on Marvin White's resume and both caught the attention of the Cincinnati Bengals:

• One was the bone-jarring collision with Texas Tech receiver Robert Johnson that made its way onto YouTube where it's been dubbed "The Great White Hit," has been viewed by some 20,000 people and turned the Texas Christian University safety into a bit of a cult figure who now gets fan mail from strangers.

• The other hit was the one — at age 16 — he put on his beefy stepdad who was beating the daylights out of Marvin's mom. That confrontation got the teen arrested, though charges, he said, were dropped.

The famed YouTube hit that separated Johnson from the ball and his helmet and left him writhing in pain on the ground — that and other hits like it — is why Cincinnati made him its fourth-round pick in Sunday's NFL draft.

Bengals defensive backs coach Kevin Coyle said of all the film they had on players, "the guy who had the most explosive hits was Marvin White. ... He's looking to hit people. He's got a little of that sniper mentality to him."

But it was that other hit that happened seven years ago back home in Port Barre, La., that mostly interested the Bengals and prompted what White said was extensive questioning.

The last thing Cincinnati needs is another rap sheet, especially with the NFL trying to stem the tide of arrested players, many of them Bengals.

"I knew it was gonna come up and I was ready to deal with it," White said. "The Bengals wanted to know everything: What type guy I was. Was I a good guy?"

Terrie Thomas, White's mom, touched on that topic.

"He's a momma's boy," she laughed. "I packed him on my side till he was 5. We shot marbles, shot basketball, played jacks. I didn't have no daughters, so it was all him. He was so spoiled. We played Nintendo, football, you name it, we did it. ...

"That day everything happened, his stepdad come in the house raising hell and when he laid into me, Marvin said not to be hittin' on his momma. Ain't no boy want someone doin' that, and he stopped it."

Marvin said his stepdad — who weighed some 240 pounds, 100 more than he did back then — wanted "money to buy drugs. My mom wanted no part of that so he started beating her.

"That's my mom. She's a woman, she can't defend herself against a grown man. I had to protect her. I got arrested, but it got thrown out 'cause I just did what I had to do."

With the stepfather soon gone, Marvin turned his full attention to football, though the road was bumpy. After leading Port Barre High to a state title, low test scores sent him to Kilgore Junior College in Texas.

He left with $40 in his pocket and ended up a juco All American before going to TCU where, in two years, he made his name as a big hitter. He was expected to be a third-round pick and his family threw a party for him Saturday.

"Me and his father, his aunties, uncles, friends, cousins, everybody was here," Thomas said. "We had a fish fry and crawfish — a Louisiana tradition.

"When he didn't get picked, we went to bed and this morning I went to church and prayed to the Good Lord to take the pressure out of my son's eyes. I could see it there — see he was nervous — and I just wanted somebody to realize who he is.

"And sure enough, I get home and a half hour later, that's what happened."

Be it the Lord — or those two big hits — the Bengals called.[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2007/04/29/ddn043007arch.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...043007arch.html[/url]

Guest schotzee
Nice article sneaky.He sounds like a great kid and the enforcer back there we sorely need.I just hope the refs start letting our guys lay the wood more w/o flagging them.

I watched the Combine tapes again, and White looked good in the drills. He had a smooth backpedal, and he turned well without having to gather himself like some guys did (Piscatelli, for example). Solid hands as well - he caught the ball smoothly.

He's big... wiry. Looks like he can add some weight. Intense, too.

He was a very physical safety at TCU, and I'm excited that he's a Bengal.

[quote name='Le Tigre' post='479929' date='Apr 30 2007, 08:20 AM']Excellent choice.

And you can't have better "character" than someone who will fight for and defend his family.[/quote]

AGgreed, I just want him to see the squeeling cunts and anyone else in our divison as that stepdad whose asss he kicked. It will be pleasant.

I know nobody is gonna replace Fulcher as the greatest Bengal safety of all time, but with a little bit of time, this guy is gonna come close. We have two of them now.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Safety uses hits to make impact[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Round four: Marvin White, S, TCU[/b][/size]
BY KEVIN KELLY | KKELLY@ENQUIRER.COM

Marvin White plays defense with the intention of terrifying receivers that dare cross his patch of the football field.

"I'm aggressive out there," White said. "I'm going to let it be known I'm going to hit out there, and nobody will come through my zone because I'm going to lay you out with a big hit."

The Bengals want their defense to be known for being physical.

White's willingness to make an impact in the secondary, potential as a special teams contributor and overall upside were among the reasons Cincinnati selected the TCU safety in the fourth round of the NFL Draft on Sunday, with the 114th overall pick.

"He really has been a great contact football player," Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said. "He's a guy that is fun to watch on tape. He's one of those guys that I don't have to ask what number he wears when I watch the tapes."

White enrolled at TCU in 2005 after spending two years at Kilgore College. In 25 games at TCU the past two seasons, he made 153 tackles, including five for loss, intercepted seven passes, deflected five and caused two fumbles.

The Port Barre, La. native led TCU with 86 total tackles last season and thought he would be selected in the third round of the NFL Draft.

"Cincinnati got a steal," said White, who was named to the All-Mountain West Conference first team. "They got the best pick of the 2007 draft. I'm going to show it when they fly me up there and I get a chance to show what I can do."

He does have one previous run-in with the law.

As a teen-ager, White was arrested for assault. He said he was defending his mother, Terrie Thomas, from being abused by her former husband.

"My step-dad was using drugs and stuff like that," White said. "He tried to come fight my mom. ... I had to step in and protect my mom. I got arrested for it but they threw it out.... I had to do what I had to do to protect my mom."

He said the Bengals questioned him extensively about the incident before the draft.

"They wanted to know what type of guy I was," White said, "and to just know they were getting a good guy."[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070430/SPT02/704300327/1066/rss07"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0327/1066/rss07[/url]

Guest Agent Orange
[quote]"Cincinnati got a steal," said White, who was named to the All-Mountain West Conference first team. "They got the best pick of the 2007 draft. I'm going to show it when they fly me up there and I get a chance to show what I can do."[/quote]

I really love what White said here. I like his confidence. Sounds like he could be a very vocal guy, someone who pumps up the rest of the D.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='479976' date='Apr 30 2007, 08:44 AM']I like this pick as well. And the Bengals have got a ton of value and production out of the 4th round under Marvin:

2003 - Jeremi Johnson
2004 - Robert Geathers
2005 - Eric Ghiaciuc
2006 - Domato Peko[/quote]
Very good point, let the streak continue PLEASE!

[quote name='Le Tigre' post='479929' date='Apr 30 2007, 08:20 AM']Excellent choice.

And you can't have better "character" than someone who will fight for and defend his family.[/quote]

God told me in my sleep last night that I must kill my family to protect them from evil.

I must defend my family.

:ninja:

[quote name='Phatcat' post='479976' date='Apr 30 2007, 09:44 AM']I like this pick as well. And the Bengals have got a ton of value and production out of the 4th round under Marvin:

2003 - Jeremi Johnson
2004 - Robert Geathers
2005 - Eric Ghiaciuc

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

nice facts... very good group of folks.

i guess Peko was drafted the latest within the 4th round. interesting.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='479976' date='Apr 30 2007, 09:44 AM']I like this pick as well. And the Bengals have got a ton of value and production out of the 4th round under Marvin:

2003 - Jeremi Johnson
2004 - Robert Geathers
2005 - Eric Ghiaciuc

How have we done in the 5th round?

[quote name='Agent Orange' post='479975' date='Apr 30 2007, 08:35 AM']I really love what White said here. I like his confidence. Sounds like he could be a very vocal guy, someone who pumps up the rest of the D.[/quote]

Cincinnati stealing? Look how bad our rep is, even our draftees think the city is full of criminals.

:ninja:

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Bengals select White[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Port Barre native picked in fourth round[/b][/size]
Brady Aymond
baymond@theadvertiser.com

It has never been easy for Marvin White, until Sunday.
Growing up, the former Port Barre High football standout had to fight - literally - for everything.

But when times got tough, and they did get tough, he turned to football as his outlet, as his way out.

And on Sunday morning, all the hard work and dedication he put into football paid off as the Cincinnati Bengals selected White with the 15th pick of the fourth round.
"I just had a tough time growing up," White said. "Going through the things I went through at that age, not many kids go through that kind of stuff. But my mom (Terrie Thomas) kept pushing me not to give up. And I didn't."

That positive attitude eventually led him to Texas Christian University and now the first ever Port Barre High player to get drafted into the NFL.

"I'm happy for him," former Port Barre coach and current St. Landry Parish Athletic Director Donnie Perron said. "He worked hard for this, he really did it the hard way.

"He had a lot of opportunities to quit and give up. He set his goals and we told him what he had to do wasn't going to be easy. But his only opportunity was to go that route and he succeeded. It couldn't have happened to a more deserving, hard-working person."

White watched the second day of the draft with friends and family in his hometown of Port Barre. When his name appeared on ESPN's Draft Day coverage, the room exploded.

"It was crazy," White said. "People were jumping up and down, hollering. Everybody was just happy for me and Port Barre. You know, we've had some great players come through here and to finally break the barrier and get drafted is a big thing. I'm going to do my best to represent Port Barre and all the athletes that played at Port Barre."

White is scheduled to fly out to Cincinnati on Thursday. He looks forward to donning the orange and black of the Bengals and competing for a starting job in his rookie season.

"That's my job, to go out there and prove I can play," White said. "My main focus is to make the team and go from there. I just have to prove myself again. I've had to do that my entire life though, so I'm ready."[/quote]

[url="http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070430/SPORTS/704300336/1006"]http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../704300336/1006[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Playing pro-football was a life-long dream for PB star[/b][/size]
By Brady Aymond
The (Lafayette) Daily Advertiser

Marvin White has been called just about every bad thing in the book.

After Sunday, he’d like it if you referred to him simply as “NFL player.”

The former Port Barre standout fulfilled a lifelong dream Sunday when the Cincinnati Bengals selected him with the ‘15th pick of the fourth round.

“I don’t think it’s hit me yet that I’m in the NFL,” White said. “I can’t even put into words how I’m feeling right now. I’ve been through so much, it1s hard to find words for what I'm thinking.”

The 6-1, 200-pound TCU defensive back has certainly not taken the easy path to stardom, but then again, he was never really given a choice.

“I was just a kid and I was put in some situations that kids are not supposed to be in,” White said. “People would read the newspapers or whatever and not know the whole story.” White’s referring to one off-the-field incident in which he was arrested after a domestic dispute with his former stepfather. The charges were later dropped.

“My stepdad did drugs,” White said. “My mom, she can’t defend herself against a grown man. I had to do what I had to do to protect my mom. (She’s) the only thing I have.”

Former Port Barre coach and current St. Landry Parish athletic director Donnie Perron coached White in high school.

“I think he got a lot of unjust criticism, he got a bum rap,” Perron said. “The few instances he got in were things that were not his fault or something that would have happened to any of us. Marvin was not a bad kid, he was just in a bad situation.”

Perron said early on the coaches noticed White's ability and knew football would be his way out. They were right as White became the first Port Barre player drafted into the NFL.

“You could see it at an early age,” Perron said. “He had raw talent and a lot of motivation. We felt like he had a chance, if anybody would make it, it would be him.”

Now that White has achieved one dream, he'd love to fulfill the rest of them.

“I want to buy my mom a nice house,” White said. “I may have to put that off for a year until I know my financial situation. I don't have a whole lot of plans to buy stuff though. I'm not going to go crazy, I want to make sure my family is taken care of first. I want to make sure my daughter (4-year old Christina) is happy. She says she wants to go to school like me, so I want to set that up for her. That’s why I’ve done all of this work, to take care of my family.”

Eventually, White would like to see a Boys and Girls Club in Port Barre. “Just give the kids something to do,” White said. “We didn’t have anywhere to go except for the park. I want to build them some nice things, to give them something positive.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.dailyworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070430/SPORTS/70430002/1006"]http://www.dailyworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...S/70430002/1006[/url]

Guest Tigris
I hope he doesn't develop some kind of demeanor (sp.) that he HAS to be a knock out guy. The hits will come if you play the coverage right. I'd hate to see him whiff on a big hit and it goes for a 60 yards touchdown.

[quote name='Tigris' post='480080' date='Apr 30 2007, 12:14 PM']I hope he doesn't develop some kind of demeanor (sp.) that he HAS to be a knock out guy. The hits will come if you play the coverage right. I'd hate to see him whiff on a big hit and it goes for a 60 yards touchdown.[/quote]

All they need to do to prevent that is show him tape of the former saftey whose name I shall not speak.

Guest Agent Orange
[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='480036' date='Apr 30 2007, 11:22 AM']That's gotta be one hell of a hit to do that.[/quote]

Roethlisberger's been attempting to collapse his vagina for years. If he can't do it, no one can.

Guest oldschooler
From Marvin White's Wikipedia page . . .

[quote][size=5][b]Marvin White[/b][/size]
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marvin White
Date of birth December 5, 1983 (1983-12-05) (age 23)
Place of birth Port Barre, Louisiana
Height 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
Weight 199 lb (90 kg)
Position(s) FS
College TCU
NFL Draft 2007 / Round 4 / Pick 114
Team(s)
2007-present Cincinnati Bengals

Marvin L. White (born December 5, 1983 in Port Barre, Louisiana) is an American Football safety that plays for the Cincinnati Bengals. He played college football for Texas Christian University. He was drafted in the 4th round in the 2007 NFL Draft.

White was a stand out athlete at Port Barre High, where he earned 14 total letters (4 each in football, basketball and track and 2 in baseball). As a senior in 2002, he led the Red Devils to their first-ever Louisiana Class 2A Football State Championship, and was named All-State in both football and basketball. After high school, White attended Kilgore College in Kilgore, Texas, where he was named a junior college All-American while leading the Rangers to a 10-2 record in 2004.

After his two years at Kilgore, White transferred to TCU in Fort Worth. As a junior in 2005, he started nine games, including the last seven of the season and was a big part of TCU's conference championship in their first year in the Mountain West Conference. After the season, White was named second-team All-MWC.

During his senior season at TCU, White led the team in both interceptions and tackles. His performance earned him first team All-MWC honors as well as an invitation to play in the annual East-West Shrine Game.

[b]His intense style of play and tenacious hitting, coupled with his being a native of Louisiana has earned him the nickname of "Gator" from his teammates and fans. His most memorable moment at TCU will almost undoubtedly be what has come to be known as "The Great White Hit". In the fourth quarter of a home game against rival Texas Tech, White hit Red Raiders' receiver Robert Johnson so hard that his helmet went shooting in the air, and Johnson was left writhing in pain on the grass of Amon G. Carter Stadium.[/b]

The hit caused announcer Glenn Parker to describe White with the following:[b] "he has a suddeness about him and and violence in him."[/b][/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_White"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_White[/url]

Archived