2008 Draft Prospects

[size=3][b]Brohm the early leader to be the top pick[/b][/size]
Insider
By Todd McShay
ESPN.com
Archive

Now that the 2007 NFL draft is over, it's time to starting thinking about the 2008 draft. Here are the top 10 as well as the top five by position.

Top 10 for 2008

Brian Brohm
Brian Tietz/US Presswire
Louisville QB Brian Brohm completed 63.6 percent of his passes for 3,049 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2006.

1. Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
Brohm lacks ideal mobility and has experienced some durability issues (thumb and shoulder) over the course of the past year. Otherwise, he possesses all the tangible and intangible qualities of a top-five draft pick. Brohm possesses prototypical size and good arm strength to go along with outstanding decision-making skills and accuracy as a passer. In order to land the top spot in the 2008 draft, Brohm must quickly adapt to new coach Steve Kragthorpe's system and avoid the nagging injuries that have plagued him in the past.

2. Sam Baker, OT, USC
Baker made a wise decision to return for his senior season, allowing him another full year to improve his bulk and strength. If he can carry more weight and become more physical in the run game without it affecting his outstanding feet and quickness, Baker will undoubtedly earn a top-10 spot in next year's draft. Baker will be fighting off Michigan's Jake Long for the honor of top offensive lineman in 2008.

3. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
Dorsey is an explosive one-gap defensive tackle with elite initial burst and change-of-direction skills for his size. After splitting time in a rotation behind Claude Wroten and Kyle Williams early in his career, Dorsey experienced a breakout season as a first-year starter in 2006 (64 total tackles, including 8.5 for losses). If he continues to improve his lower-body strength and overall technique as a senior, Dorsey should be the top interior defensive lineman selected in the 2008 draft

4. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
Long could have been a top-10 pick in the 2007 draft but instead elected to return to Ann Arbor for his final season of eligibility. At 6-foot-7, 320 pounds with great experience and quick feet, there's not many holes to pick in Long's game. He missed nearly half of the 2005 season with an ankle injury but returned to form as a full-time starter last year. Another healthy and productive campaign in 2007 should land Long a top-10 spot in next year's draft.

(9) Early Doucet
John David Mercer-US PRESSWIRE
Early Doucet has all the makings of being the first WR drafted next year.

5. Early Doucet, WR, LSU
Doucet has paid his dues as the No. 3 receiver behind a pair of first-rounders in Dwayne Bowe (Chiefs, No. 23 overall) and Craig Davis (Chargers, No. 30 overall). Now it's Doucet's time to shine. The 6-foot, 205-pound speedster should quickly emerge as new starting QB Matt Flynn's favorite target. If Doucet embraces the spotlight and proves capable of handling the double-team attention that comes along with it, he could become the top receiver selected in the 2008 draft.

6. Paul Oliver, CB, Georgia
Oliver is one of the most underrated prospects in the 2008 class right now. This 6-foot, 205-pound cornerback impressed me with his improved coverage skills during the second half of the 2006 season, including a tremendous effort versus former Georgia Tech star WR Calvin Johnson (Lions, No. 2 overall). Don't be surprised if Oliver emerges as a top-10 pick a year from now.

7. Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky
The light finally came on for Woodson as a junior in 2006, when he threw 25 more touchdowns (31) compared to only one more interception (seven) from the previous year. The 6-5, 235-pound gunslinger is seeing the entire field and has learned to better protect the football. Woodson also has a strong arm and good mobility for his size. If he builds on this momentum as a senior, the top two quarterbacks (Brohm and Woodson) selected in the 2008 draft could hail from the state of Kentucky.

8. Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
Sweed is a thoroughbred wide receiver measuring in at 6-5 and 218 pounds with 4.5 speed. He led the Longhorns with 801 yards and 12 touchdowns on 46 receptions last season, including a career best eight-catch, 119-yard performance at Nebraska. QB Colt McCoy isn't a rookie anymore, which should lead to more opportunities for Sweed in a more wide-open Texas offense in 2007. Sweed can solidify his spot in Round 1 by running more polished routes and by continuing to step up in the big games.

9. Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
Henne is an experienced starter with good size and arm strength. He's not the type of quarterback that can carry a team, but he does an excellent job of managing games and distributing the ball to his playmakers. Henne made the wise decision of returning to school for his senior season in 2007. His accuracy and overall decision making must improve in order to warrant first-round consideration in the 2008 draft.

10. Frank Okam, DT, Texas
Okam's upside is nearly limitless. At 6-5, 320 pounds, he flashes the mobility and power to dominate the interior. Much like Michigan's Alan Branch, who dropped out of this year's first round, Okam's motor is too inconsistent. He needs to turn it up a notch and play with more fire in order to maximize his draft stock, which easily could reach top-10 heights.

Top 5 by position

Quarterbacks

1. Brian Brohm, Louisville
2. Andre Woodson, Kentucky
3. Chad Henne, Michigan
4. Colt Brennan, Hawaii
5. Erik Ainge, Tennessee

Running Backs

1. Allen Patrick, Oklahoma
2. Branden Ore, Virginia Tech
3. Mike Hart, Michigan
4. Dantrell Savage, Oklahoma State
5. Tashard Choice, Georgia Tech

Wide Receivers

1. Early Doucet, LSU
2. Limas Sweed, Texas
3. Adarius Bowman
4. Keenan Burton, Kentucky
5. D.J. Hall, Alabama

Tight Ends

1. Martin Rucker, Missouri
2. John Carlson, Notre Dame
3. Dustin Keller, Purdue
4. Jacob Tamme, Kentucky
5. Fred Davis, USC

Offensive Tackles

1. Sam Baker, USC
2. Jake Long, Michigan
3. Gosder Cherilus, Boston College
4. Barry Richardson, Clemson
5. Tony Hills, Texas

Guards

1. Will Arnold, LSU
2. Shannon Tevaga, UCLA
3. Jordan Grimes, Purdue
4. Adam Kraus, Michigan
5. Andrew Crummey, Maryland

Centers

1. Kory Lichtensteiger, Bowling Green
2. John Sullivan, Notre Dame
3. Doug Legursky, Marshall
4. Tony Brinkhaus, Minnesota
5. Trevor Rees, Northwestern

Defensive Ends

1. Lawrence Jackson, USC
2. Quentin Groves, Auburn
3. Chris Long, Virginia
4. Bruce Davis, UCLA
5. Dexter Manley II, Oregon

Defensive Tackles

1. Glenn Dorsey, LSU
2. Frank Okam, Texas
3. DeMario Pressley, NC State
4. Sedrick Ellis, USC
5. Andre Fluellen, Florida State

Inside Linebackers

1. Vince Hall, Virginia Tech
2. Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina
3. Jonathan Goff, Vanderbilt
4. Jeremy Leman, Illinois
5. Mike Klinkenborg, Iowa

Outside Linebackers

1. Keith Rivers, USC
2. Dan Connor, Penn State
3. Malik Jackson, Louisville
4. Xavier Adibi, Virginia Tech
5. Phillip Wheeler, Georgia Tech

Cornerbacks

1. Paul Oliver, Georgia
2. Antoine Cason, Arizona
3. Dwight Lowery, San Jose State
4. Terrell Thomas, USC
5. DeJuan Tribble, Boston College

Safeties

1. Jonathan Hefney, Tennessee
2. Darien Williams, Oklahoma
3. Jamar Adams, Michigan
4. Tierre Green, Nebraska
5. Tom Zbikowski, Notre Dame

[url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2860503"]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/col...&id=2860503[/url]

Guest Master Shake
IMO McFadden is almost a lock to be the #1 pick if he doesn't get hurt.

Brohm, Long, and Booty will compete for #2.

Could also see Manningham moving into the picture if he has a big year.

[quote name='Master Shake' post='482897' date='May 5 2007, 10:38 AM']IMO McFadden is almost a lock to be the #1 pick if he doesn't get hurt.

Brohm, Long, and Booty will compete for #2.

Could also see Manningham moving into the picture if he has a big year.[/quote]

Depends on the team picking #1. If McFadden comes out he will no doubt be the best player, but Brohm will quite possibly be the #1 pick.

Guest OzBengal
Are these just seniors? I think Calais Campbell has to be in there somewhere. He is a 6-8 athletic freak who had something like 12 sacks as a sophomore. If he has another good year he will come out for sure.

I also think John David Booty is underrated right now and I feel he will eventually emerge as a top 15 pick. Excelling in the same program that starred Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart. Maybe not as good as those two, but he's a good one.

[quote name='OzBengal' post='483435' date='May 7 2007, 09:24 AM'][b]Are these just seniors[/b]? I think Calais Campbell has to be in there somewhere. He is a 6-8 athletic freak who had something like 12 sacks as a sophomore. If he has another good year he will come out for sure.

I also think John David Booty is underrated right now and I feel he will eventually emerge as a top 15 pick. Excelling in the same program that starred Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart. Maybe not as good as those two, but he's a good one.[/quote]

Yes, the initial post is strictly seniors.

Guest happyrid
This is a good initial list, but as you guys mentioned, it doesn't include underclassmen. It seems like every year, the top of the draft is even more heavily underclassmen.

I'm not sure but Kenny Phillips might have been injured this spring. OSU's Vernon Gholston and Miami's Calais Campbell will be bigtime DE prospects. I'd like to see us go DT or DE in the first if the right guy is there.

Since Marvin has been here, we've only taken one DL on the first day (Frostee Rucker). We need to invest some premium picks in improving the D line.

Guest BTG
I would be shocked if Mario Manningham doesn't declare. He'll be losing his starting quarterback, runningback, and several offensive linemen, so sticking around doesn't make much sense. Plus he'll probably end up as an early second round/late first round pick in what looks to be a weak receiver class.

As far as quarterback goes, this is one of the deepest classes I can remember seeing. Not necessarily deep for the first round, but there will be talent spaced throughout the draft and any of them could be excellent players within the proper system.

Regarding this list, I just don't see Andre Woodson up there in the top five. You could make a case that someone like Brent Schaffer or Dennis Dixon have just as much potential and "upside" as him, but I don't see either of those two in the top five, nor do I believe they should be there...or even in the top 10, for that matter.

I also think Chad Henne is overrated. He's never really impressed me, and though he does have above average arm strength, he doesn't do anything else particularly well. He's not fast, he's not amazingly accurate, he's just there. Then again, the same things were said about Brady, and look what happened.

Three other names to keep an eye on are BC's Matt Ryan, Kyle Wright from Miami, and Matt Flynn from LSU. Any of the three could jump up to the top five (or higher) with a good year. Think Jason Campbell.

My top 10 QB list would be:

1. Brian Brohm - UL
2. Colt Brennan - UH (system my ass...he's a faster, more accurate Phil Rivers)
3. Eric Ainge - Tenn
4. Rudy Carpenter - Arizona State
5. Chad Henne - Mich.
6. J.D. Booty - USC
7. Kyle Wright - Miami (big kid, HUGE arm, & quick)
8. Matt Ryan - BC
9. Sam Keller - Nebraska
10. Andre Woodson - UK
10A. Matt Flynn - LSU

[quote name='BTG' post='484461' date='May 9 2007, 01:23 PM']I would be shocked if Mario Manningham doesn't declare. He'll be losing his starting quarterback, runningback, and several offensive linemen, so sticking around doesn't make much sense. Plus he'll probably end up as an early second round/late first round pick in what looks to be a weak receiver class.[/quote]

I agree Manningham will declare. I also think that if he stays healthy he may wind up the first WR off the board.

An I'm an OSU fan.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='484335' date='May 9 2007, 04:43 AM']What's the TE class gonna be like in '08, any thoughts?[/quote]

Brad Cottam, 6-8, 270, will have a breakout year for Tennessee in '07. He didn't get many catches in '06 because the Vols had so many great senior WRs (Meachem, Jayson Swain, and Bret Smith were all invited to the combine). With those guys all leaving the coaches are already talking about ways to get the ball to Brad more often. He is huge and can really run. He will play a hybrid TE/Fullback/H-back type position.

Guest BTG
[quote name='Jason' post='484527' date='May 9 2007, 04:05 PM']I agree Manningham will declare. I also think that if he stays healthy he may wind up the first WR off the board.

An I'm an OSU fan.[/quote]
It's possible. Manningham is listed at six even, but he's actually about 5'10 or 5'11. This is significant, albeit it slightly, because (for whatever reason) teams have been shying away from the fast, but small receivers like Santana Moss lately. They were all the rage last year. Out of the four receivers taken in the first two rounds (I don't count Hester as a receiver), only one was taller than six even (Chad Jackson at 6'1). The other three are 5'11 (Holmes), 5'11 (Jennings), and 5'8 (Moss).

Contrast that to this year's crop of first and second round receivers. Only three of the nine are smaller than 6'1 (Ginn/Gonzo/Smith), and none of those three are shorter than six feet even.

It's possible Manningham could be the top overall receiver next year, but I think someone like Limas Sweed (ie: Roy Williams version 2.0) or Early Doucet (a much faster Craig Davis) will be more appealing to most teams because of their size.

Just my opinion.

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='BTG' post='484461' date='May 9 2007, 01:23 PM']I would be shocked if Mario Manningham doesn't declare. He'll be losing his starting quarterback, runningback, and several offensive linemen, so sticking around doesn't make much sense. Plus he'll probably end up as an early second round/late first round pick in what looks to be a weak receiver class.

As far as quarterback goes, this is one of the deepest classes I can remember seeing. Not necessarily deep for the first round, but there will be talent spaced throughout the draft and any of them could be excellent players within the proper system.

Regarding this list, I just don't see Andre Woodson up there in the top five. You could make a case that someone like Brent Schaffer or Dennis Dixon have just as much potential and "upside" as him, but I don't see either of those two in the top five, nor do I believe they should be there...or even in the top 10, for that matter.

I also think Chad Henne is overrated. He's never really impressed me, and though he does have above average arm strength, he doesn't do anything else particularly well. He's not fast, he's not amazingly accurate, he's just there. Then again, the same things were said about Brady, and look what happened.

Three other names to keep an eye on are BC's Matt Ryan, Kyle Wright from Miami, and Matt Flynn from LSU. Any of the three could jump up to the top five (or higher) with a good year. Think Jason Campbell.

1. Brian Brohm - UL
3. Eric Ainge - Tenn
5. Chad Henne - Mich.
6. J.D. Booty - USC
8. Matt Ryan - BC
9. Sam Keller - Nebraska
10. Andre Woodson - UK
10A. Matt Flynn - LSU[/quote]

IMO Booty should be no lower than 3rd on that list. Even though his arm strength doesn't match up with most of those other guys, he is the most accurate passer to come out of college in some time, and should project to a healthy Chad Pennington-type QB. Brohm and particularly Brennan do have more upside, but I think Booty is a probable first rounder and likely to go higher than the rest of those guys.

Guest OzBengal
[quote name='Master Shake' post='484576' date='May 9 2007, 04:35 PM']IMO Booty should be no lower than 3rd on that list. Even though his arm strength doesn't match up with most of those other guys, he is the most accurate passer to come out of college in some time, and should project to a healthy Chad Pennington-type QB. Brohm and particularly Brennan do have more upside, but I think Booty is a probable first rounder and likely to go higher than the rest of those guys.[/quote]

I think his arm strength is fine. Better than Leinart and he was a top pick. Better mobility too. I think people forget he had back surgery before the start of the season. The way he dismantled the Michigan defense in the Rose Bowl was very impressive.

[quote name='OzBengal' post='484657' date='May 9 2007, 10:29 PM']I think his arm strength is fine. Better than Leinart and he was a top pick. Better mobility too. I think people forget he had back surgery before the start of the season. The way he dismantled the Michigan defense in the Rose Bowl was very impressive.[/quote]
Colt Brennan's accuracy > Anyone in NCAA football. :thumbsup:

For the record, I agree with you about Booty. But as the draft shows you, when dealing with QBs scouts tend to fall in love with size (height) and arm strength. They manage to talk themselves into thinking someone with measurables who hasn't really produced in college is going to thrive in the pros with the right coaching while a kid who has played well his entire career but lacks height or arm strength isn't worth a higher pick.

Examples of this: Kyle Boller, JP Losman, Leinart dropping in 2006, and JaMarcus Russell going 21 spots ahead of Brady Quinn.

For those reasons, I have Booty ranked slightly below Ainge (and big titties). Ainge is 6'6, 225 and has an absolute cannon, while Booty is 6'3 (being generous) and about 200 pounds and (as you mentioned) doesn't have the arm strength of his peers. Ainge is like Russell, only not quite as thick and with slightly less arm strength (more on this in a minute). Booty, on the other hand, is like a less polished version of Leinart.

Now, it's possible/probable that Colt Brennan could slide down to fourth on this list by the end of next season. That would bump Ainge up to number two and Booty up to three. You could even argue that it's possible that is how they are ranked by the scouts right now. After all, Brennan and Booty are similar players (slight build, slightly above average arm [but still better than Kitna], very good accuracy). The thing is, Brennan comes from a run and shoot system where Timmy Chang set NCAA records whereas Booty comes from a pro-style system QB factory that has produced Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart (and to a lesser extent Matt Cassell) over the past several drafts. I mean, it's not like system a kid plays in doesn't factor in. Anyone remember Aaron Rodgers dropping because he was from the "Jeff Tedford School of Quarterbacking"?

The kid from Ohio U? No way. There is no way a running back from a MAC school ever goes in the top ten of the NFL draft.

Chester Taylor, Michael Turner, Daylon McCutcheon, Travis Prentice, and Garrett Wolfe were the best backs I've ever seen play in the MAC, and none of them went higher than the third round. Hell, Taylor and Turner went in the sixth and fifth rounds, respectively, and they're both better players than the OU kid IMO. (Wolfe and Prentice both went in the third, for the record.)

EDIT: I just saw your smilie.

STUPID SLOW-LOADING COMPUTER!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest happyrid
[quote name='BTG' post='484461' date='May 9 2007, 01:23 PM']I would be shocked if Mario Manningham doesn't declare. He'll be losing his starting quarterback, runningback, and several offensive linemen, so sticking around doesn't make much sense. Plus he'll probably end up as an early second round/late first round pick in what looks to be a weak receiver class.

1. Brian Brohm - UL
3. Eric Ainge - Tenn
5. Chad Henne - Mich.
6. J.D. Booty - USC
8. Matt Ryan - BC
9. Sam Keller - Nebraska
10. Andre Woodson - UK
10A. Matt Flynn - LSU[/quote]

I agree with some of your rankins, though I think Brennan may have too many questions to go so high (system, character, leadership). I think Ryan could be higher and I really think Woodson belongs in the top five. I don't see how you can compare him to a guy like Schaeffer who played a notch or two below terrible last year and may not even start this year.

I also really don't know what you see in Wright. Maybe if the draft was just a beauty contest, but the kid makes terrible decisions, has no leadership ability, is inaccurate and has a slow release. He is one of the worst QBs the Canes have had in the last decade and that is saying something considering the pro careers those guys have had.

I also think Manningham is every bit of 6 feet tall. He's a real talent though he has more off field/character issues than people might think that could push him down a little bit.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='493028' date='May 30 2007, 08:21 PM']lol @ chad henne being a top 10 prospect

and little animal will be the top lb prospect even tho he wasnt listed at all[/quote]

That list is seniors only. I don't know if Laurenaitis will be the top LB prospect if he comes out, but certainly top 5.

i dont know why he wouldnt, tackle and interception leader for national runner up, all american, nagurski award winner, butkus runner up to a senior... unless he has a major drop off he will be gone in the top 5, 10 at the worst.

Archived