How the Bengals stack up

[quote][size=3][b]How the Bengals stack up[/b][/size]
BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

It's just May.

And the Bengals will complete 14 organized team activity practices, a full-squad mandatory minicamp, training camp and four preseason games before kicking off the season for real Sept. 10 against Baltimore. But here's The Enquirer's projected starting lineup, obviously subject to change:

Offense
84 T.J. Houshmandzadeh, WR
85 Chad Johnson, WR
76 Levi Jones, LT
77 Andrew Whitworth, LG
53 Eric Ghiaciuc, C
63 Bobbie Williams, RG
71 Willie Anderson, RT
82 Reggie Kelly, TE
9 Carson Palmer, QB
32 Rudi Johnson, RB
31 Jeremi Johnson, FB
17 Shayne Graham, K
88 Tab Perry, KOR
83 Antonio Chatman, PR

Defense
98 Bryan Robinson, DE
97 John Thornton, DT
95 Sam Adams, DT
90 Justin Smith, DE
93 Rashad Jeanty, SLB
50 Ahmad Brooks, MLB
- Ed Hartwell, WLB
22 Johnathan Joseph, CB
24 Deltha O'Neal, CB
28 Dexter Jackson, SS
40 Madieu Williams, FS
19 Kyle Larson, P[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070512/SPT02/705120363/1066/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

Guest rmcna86394
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='485752' date='May 12 2007, 08:23 AM']that was so insightful.[/quote]

I "lol"ed at your comment...because I was thinking the same thing.

Guest happyrid
Yeah, that is pretty weak. I'd have prefered they tried to project a 53 man roster or something of that nature. With the FA acquisitions at DT, the big group of young LBs and the 3 DBs drafted, there should be some very interesting battles for those last 6 or 8 spots on defense and some pretty solid guys getting cut or sent to the practice squad.

Guest Patmo
It wouldn't surprise me if Holt was the KOR and Green was the PR.
All those DT's signing has ominous repercussions for BROB or JT.I suspect that BROB is odd man out.

If Curnutte had his thinking cap on,he'd have been better off projecting bubble cuts.

[quote name='Patmo' post='485811' date='May 12 2007, 03:15 PM']It wouldn't surprise me if Holt was the KOR and Green was the PR.[/quote]

Word...or some variation thereof.

With no viable #3 other than Tab and Antonio for the first 8...I doubt they are going to chance getting them hurt on ST's.

[quote name='Patmo' post='485811' date='May 12 2007, 12:15 PM']It wouldn't surprise me if Holt was the KOR and Green was the PR.[/quote]

There's a better chance of Jeff Rowe beating out Carson Palmer than that happening.

In fact, there's almost no chance that both of those guys are even on the team.

[quote name='JoePong' post='485878' date='May 12 2007, 09:35 PM']There's a better chance of Jeff Rowe beating out Carson Palmer than that happening.

In fact, there's almost no chance that both of those guys are even on the team.[/quote]

holt will, more than likely, make the team. not green though

I just want to to say that being listed as a starter doesnt really say much especially in the front 7 of defense because even tho Geathers didnt start last year he still played the 3rd most snaps on the D-line BROB i think was 6th on the d-line even tho he was considered a starter.. just sayin

[quote name='WhoDeyRG' post='486059' date='May 13 2007, 02:41 PM']I just want to to say that being listed as a starter doesnt really say much especially in the front 7 of defense because even tho Geathers didnt start last year he still played the 3rd most snaps on the D-line BROB i think was 6th on the d-line even tho he was considered a starter.. just sayin[/quote]

yeah, but what you didn't get to just sayin was the reason why. our pathetic pass defense finished last in the league, so teams were more inclined to pass on us, than run on us. since BROB plays run downs, and geathers plays on passing downs, it would only make sense that geathers was on the field more.

[quote name='bengaled' post='486071' date='May 13 2007, 01:29 PM']yeah, but what you didn't get to just sayin was the reason why. our pathetic pass defense finished last in the league, so teams were more inclined to pass on us, than run on us. since BROB plays run downs, and geathers plays on passing downs, it would only make sense that geathers was on the field more.[/quote]

doesnt your point just reinforce mine that being labeled a starter doesnt really mean anything because as the game goes on you decide your players to play due to the play of the other team.. so thanks for agreeing with me

[quote name='The Entertainer' post='485751' date='May 12 2007, 08:16 AM'][url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070512/SPT02/705120363/1066/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url][/quote]

Was that seriously it. Were there any words after the listing of the players? What?

Guest Tigris
[quote name='Rick' post='486150' date='May 13 2007, 09:45 PM']Was that seriously it. Were there any words after the listing of the players? What?[/quote]
no kiddin. we should have made our own and sent it in... maybe we could have raised $50 or something for the site, or for me, whatever

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='bengaled' post='486071' date='May 13 2007, 03:29 PM']yeah, but what you didn't get to just sayin was the reason why. our pathetic pass defense finished last in the league, so teams were more inclined to pass on us, than run on us. since BROB plays run downs, and geathers plays on passing downs, it would only make sense that geathers was on the field more.[/quote]

Teams ran an average of 28 times, and passed
an average of 34 times per game, against the Bengals.

Just to compare, teams ran against the Bears an average of 25 times,
and passed an average of 36 times a game. Teams ran against the Stealers
an average of 25.5 times, and passed an average of 33 times a game.
And Baltimore had teams run an average of 23 times, and pass an average
of 32 times a game against them.

So it appears that teams with "good" Defenses also had teams pass
against them more than they ran.

3rd down is what killed the Bengals Defense, and where most of the
damage was done. Hopefully with the subtraction of "3rd and Tory"
that problem is fixed . . .

Guest Claptonrocks
Id like to see the Bengals corners blitz more than in the past ...
James and Oneal were decent in their prime at covering but neither was good at tackling ..
Hall and J-Joe seem be good tacklers so the possibility of blitzing them would give the defense a boost in keeping opposing QB's from getting to comfortable...
Third down has been a problem area...
They need to blitz more and with the arrival of the young corners and backers hopefully we'll see improvement in that area....

[quote name='Chucktkd' post='486236' date='May 14 2007, 06:52 AM']No Pollack or Thurman[/quote]

I can understand the no Pollack but we must not no all of the facts if he still chose to leave Thurman out of the projected starting lineup.

[quote name='Chucktkd' post='486236' date='May 14 2007, 06:52 AM']No Pollack or Thurman[/quote]

I can understand the no Pollack but we must not no all of the facts if he still chose to leave Thurman out of the projected starting lineup.

Yeah I found that Thurman not being on the projected starting defense was very interesting. Maybe we really do not know all of the facts.

Guest Claptonrocks
How nice would the linebacking corps look with Thurman back ?
Thurman, Brooks, Jeanty and Hartwell rotating to stay fresh? Freakish!

[quote name='oldschooler' post='486258' date='May 14 2007, 08:49 AM']Teams ran an average of 28 times, and passed
an average of 34 times per game, against the Bengals.

Just to compare, teams ran against the Bears an average of 25 times,
and passed an average of 36 times a game. Teams ran against the Stealers
an average of 25.5 times, and passed an average of 33 times a game.
And Baltimore had teams run an average of 23 times, and pass an average
of 32 times a game against them.

So it appears that teams with "good" Defenses also had teams pass
against them more than they ran.

3rd down is what killed the Bengals Defense, and where most of the
damage was done. Hopefully with the subtraction of "3rd and Tory"
that problem is fixed . . .[/quote]

bengals were 13th against the run, no one KILLED us wit the run, but they passed at will, and with addition by losing tory james, the defense got better already.

Archived