SI.com Top 25 WR's

Chad at 2, TJ at 17

Link: [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/06/25/top.receivers/index.html"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...vers/index.html[/url]

2. Chad Johnson, Cincinnati Bengals: The flamboyant playmaker has led the AFC in receiving yards for four consecutive seasons. As a polished receiver with excellent speed and hands, he has thrived as the favorite target of Carson Palmer in the Bengals wide open offense. Still showing a penchant for getting deep, Johnson led the league with eight receptions over 40 yards last season. With Palmer rounding back to Pro Bowl form, expect Johnson to continue to post big numbers.

17. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Cincinnati Bengals: Often overshadowed by his flamboyant counterpart, Houshmandzadeh does the dirty work for the Bengals. An excellent slot receiver with deceptive quickness, he terrorizes defenses over the middle of the field. Though he recorded his first 1,000-yard season last year, he has been the glue to their offense for the past few seasons.

Steve Smith was #1.

Calvin Johnson, who hasn't taken a snap in the NFL yet is #20. :crazy:

[quote]1. Steve Smith, Carolina Panthers: The ultimate offensive weapon has almost single-handedly carried the Panthers' offense the past two seasons. Smith's outstanding speed, quickness and leaping ability enable him to take over a game, which sets him apart from the rest of the receivers. With a league-best 13 100-yard performances in the past two seasons, Smith has proven to be a dominant force despite lacking a complementary playmaker on the offense. His dominance will continue as he and two-time Pro Bowl QB Jake Delhomme form the foundation of the Panthers' new offensive attack.[/quote]
I am sorry, but I just don't understand why some people ride so high on Steve Smith's jock.

Does anybody else remember him on the post-game show after losing to the Bengals last year ?

He went [i][b]on[/b][/i] and [i][b]on[/b][/i] crying about being [b][i][u]double-teamed.[/u][/i][/b]

[i][b]Like it was something that is just unheard of and that is never ever done in the NFL.[/b]
[/i]
In fact he made it sound like it was dirty-pool or something for a team to dare to double him.

He certainly didn't sound like he was at all used to having anybody double-teaming him.

WTF, [i][b]Chad would think that Christmas had come early if a team decides to [u]NOT[/u] double him[/b][/i] and God only knows how many 100-yard games he would have if nobody ever double-teamed him.

IMO, Steve Smith is a top 5 receiver but [b][i]no way in hell[/i][/b] is he the [b][i]number one guy[/i][/b] over all.

By the way ...

Chad Johnson:

Year Team G GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD
2001 Cincinnati Bengals 12 3 28 329 11.8 28 1
2002 Cincinnati Bengals 16 14 69 1166 16.9 72 5
2003 Cincinnati Bengals 16 14 90 1355 15.1 82 10
2004 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16 95 1274 13.4 53 9
2005 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16 97 1432 14.8 70 9
2006 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16 87 1369 15.7 74 7

TOTAL 92 79 466 6925 14.9 82 41

Steve Smith:

2001 Carolina Panthers 15 1 10 154 15.4 33 0
2002 Carolina Panthers 15 13 54 872 16.1 69 3
2003 Carolina Panthers 16 11 88 1110 12.6 67 7
2004 Carolina Panthers 1 1 6 60 10.0 15 0
2005 Carolina Panthers 16 16 103 1563 15.2 80 12
2006 Carolina Panthers 14 14 83 1166 14.0 72 8

TOTAL 77 56 344 4925 14.3 80 30

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='504185' date='Jun 25 2007, 06:23 PM']yeah chad has 2000 more yards, 11 more tds, 120 more receptions...

Chad is the best/most consistent(year to year, maybe not game to game) receiver in the league. Maybe Marvin Harrison, but not Steve Smith.[/quote]
I was suprised as hell that he put Marvin Harrison at #4!

[quote name='JUNGLE TIME' post='504167' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:31 PM']I am sorry, but I just don't understand why some people ride so high on Steve Smith's jock.

Does anybody else remember him on the post-game show after losing to the Bengals last year ?

He went [i][b]on[/b][/i] and [i][b]on[/b][/i] crying about being [b][i][u]double-teamed.[/u][/i][/b]

[i][b]Like it was something that is just unheard of and that is never ever done in the NFL.[/b]
[/i]
In fact he made it sound like it was dirty-pool or something for a team to dare to double him.

He certainly didn't sound like he was at all used to having anybody double-teaming him.

WTF, [i][b]Chad would think that Christmas had come early if a team decides to [u]NOT[/u] double him[/b][/i] and God only knows how many 100-yard games he would have if nobody ever double-teamed him.

IMO, Steve Smith is a top 5 receiver but [b][i]no way in hell[/i][/b] is he the [b][i]number one guy[/i][/b] over all.

By the way ...

Chad Johnson:

2001 Cincinnati Bengals 12 3 28 329 11.8 28 1
2002 Cincinnati Bengals 16 14 69 1166 16.9 72 5
2003 Cincinnati Bengals 16 14 90 1355 15.1 82 10
2004 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16 95 1274 13.4 53 9
2005 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16 97 1432 14.8 70 9
2006 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16 87 1369 15.7 74 7

TOTAL 92 79 466 6925 14.9 82 41

Steve Smith:

2001 Carolina Panthers 15 1 10 154 15.4 33 0
2002 Carolina Panthers 15 13 54 872 16.1 69 3
2003 Carolina Panthers 16 11 88 1110 12.6 67 7
2004 Carolina Panthers 1 1 6 60 10.0 15 0
2005 Carolina Panthers 16 16 103 1563 15.2 80 12
2006 Carolina Panthers 14 14 83 1166 14.0 72 8

TOTAL 77 56 344 4925 14.3 80 30[/quote]

excellent post!

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='504185' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:23 PM']yeah chad has 2000 more yards, 11 more tds, 120 more receptions...

Chad is the best/most consistent(year to year, maybe not game to game) receiver in the league. Maybe Marvin Harrison, but not Steve Smith.[/quote]

I'm sorry but that is a homer statement there and not looking at the last two years. Steve Smith is more productive and consistent then Chad. If it wasn't for that two game stretch last year his stats wouldn't have been so good. Plus Chad plays on a pass heavy offense...the Panthers are a run first, throw to Steve Smith w/ 5 people on him offense.

Look, I like Chad alot but he is not the first option in the redzone (Henry) or on third down (Housh) while Steve Smith is mr. everything in that offense. He is also a bigger threat to break one. If I were a GM I would take Smith over Chad...not to mention he can return punts too.

[quote name='kdubdub' post='504320' date='Jun 25 2007, 10:58 PM']I'm sorry but that is a homer statement there and not looking at the last two years. Steve Smith is more productive and consistent then Chad.[/quote]
Pray tell ...

[i]Why in the world would you look [u][b]only[/b][/u] at the [u]last two years[/u] to judge consistency[/i] especially since they both came into the league at the same time ?

Steve Smith certainly had a [i]monster season[/i] in '05 but Chad Johnson has had a [i][b]better season in every year other than '05[/b] [/i]since they have been in the league.

[quote]Plus Chad plays on a pass heavy offense...the Panthers are a run first, throw to Steve Smith w/ 5 people on him offense.[/quote]
At least as far as last season is concerned, the Panthers actually were a bit more pass heavy than the Bengals and I am calling bullshit on the "throw to Steve Smith [i][b][u]w/5 people[/u][/b][/i] on him" statement.

Nobody gets covered by five defenders plus [i]I doubt that Smith gets doubled any more that Chad does[/i] and at least a few teams have [i]played him straight up man to man.[/i]

[quote]He is also a bigger threat to break one. If I were a GM I would take Smith over Chad...not to mention he can return punts too.[/quote]
I agree that Smith has been better with YAC, in fact he is [i]one of the best in the league[/i] and you are certainly entitled to your would be GM opinion.

However I beg to differ ...

[i][u][b]I would still take Chad[/b][/u][/i] even with his lack of punt returns.

[quote name='JUNGLE TIME' post='504627' date='Jun 26 2007, 04:05 PM']At least as far as last season is concerned, the Panthers actually were a bit more pass heavy than the Bengals and I am calling bullshit on the "throw to Steve Smith [i][b][u]w/5 people[/u][/b][/i] on him" statement.[/quote]

[quote name='JUNGLE TIME' post='504627' date='Jun 26 2007, 04:05 PM']Nobody gets covered by five defenders plus [i]I doubt that Smith gets doubled any more that Chad does[/i] and at least a few teams have [i]played him straight up man to man.[/i][/quote]

First, the 5 defenders is an exaggeration...but he does see more double/triple coverage then Chad. I watch alot of football and Smith is better blocker and big-play threat. It is not a knock but when we are talking about the top 5 receivers there are minor differences and I think Smith is better.

[quote name='kdubdub' post='505258' date='Jun 28 2007, 12:21 AM']First, the 5 defenders is an exaggeration...but he does see more double/triple coverage then Chad.

I watch alot of football and Smith is better blocker and big-play threat.

It is not a knock but when we are talking about the top 5 receivers there are minor differences and I think Smith is better.[/quote]
Yea we just disagree ...

Like I said I really doubt that Smith gets doubled/triples any more that Chad does and [u][i]at least a few teams have played Smith straight up man to man.[/i][/u]

Off the top of my head I don't remember any team who covers Chad man to man.

I also watch a lot of football and I will give you that Smith is better with YAC but of course [u][i]that is already reflected in the receiving yards stat[/i][/u] and that does not necessarily make him more of a big-play threat.

[i]If you don't think that Chad is a big time play-maker [/i]I would have to wonder [i]just what football it is that you are watching.

I would rate Chad's ability to be a big-play threat right up there with Smith's [/i]and the numbers at this point would seem bear me out.

Chad Johnson:
20+ 40+ 1st
85 31 349

Steve Smith:
20+ 40+ 1st
75 19 214

Up to this point in their careers, [u][i]Chad Johnson has had more production, in just about every way, than Steve Smith has had in [b]every[/b] season except [b]one[/b].[/i][/u]

So I am sticking with Chad and [i]to me it is not even all that close[/i].

Which means that I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this.

[quote name='kdubdub' post='504320' date='Jun 25 2007, 10:58 PM']I'm sorry but that is a homer statement there and not looking at the last two years. Steve Smith is more productive and consistent then Chad. If it wasn't for that two game stretch last year his stats wouldn't have been so good. Plus Chad plays on a pass heavy offense...the Panthers are a run first, throw to Steve Smith w/ 5 people on him offense.

Look, I like Chad alot but he is not the first option in the redzone (Henry) or on third down (Housh) while Steve Smith is mr. everything in that offense. He is also a bigger threat to break one. If I were a GM I would take Smith over Chad...not to mention he can return punts too.[/quote]

i must agree, chad is also palying with a much better QB< and better alternate threats, you cant double chad all the time, you got tj and henry to worry about, smith missed all but one game a few years back, that makes up 60-70% of the difference on career yardage right there, chad disappeared in several games last year, against not that great defenses. he is a damn good receiver, but i would say smith is better...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='505705' date='Jun 29 2007, 12:49 AM']i must agree, chad is also palying with a much better QB< and better alternate threats, you cant double chad all the time, you got tj and henry to worry about, smith missed all but one game a few years back, that makes up 60-70% of the difference on career yardage right there, chad disappeared in several games last year, against not that great defenses. he is a damn good receiver, but i would say smith is better...[/quote]
Well let me see ...

Last time I checked, if you take away 60% of something you still have 40% left.

Nevertheless it is not unreasonable to say that you think that Smith is better, he [i]is[/i] top5 and I am sure that an argument could be made that any one of the top5 is really the best over all.

But I am wondering, are you also saying that you agree with the [i]homer[/i] part of the post ???

Because IMHO ...

It [i]is[/i] unreasonable to label another fan as being a [b][i]homer[/i][/b] simply because he happens to think that a Bengals player is better than another player, especially when it is the Bengals player who has so far actually had the better production.

In fact ...

It kind of reminds me of the [i]astonishment [/i]that Marvin Lewis expressed at the [i]strange inferiority complex[/i] that many Bengals fans seem to be infected with.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='505705' date='Jun 29 2007, 12:49 AM']i must agree, chad is also palying with a much better QB< and better alternate threats, you cant double chad all the time, you got tj and henry to worry about[/quote]

Sure...sure....you don't double team Chad all the time, and what happens next is NFL records get set for most yards in back to back games.

[quote name='kdubdub' post='504320' date='Jun 25 2007, 10:58 PM']I'm sorry but that is a homer statement there and not looking at the last two years. Steve Smith is more productive and consistent then Chad. If it wasn't for that two game stretch last year his stats wouldn't have been so good.[/quote]

I seriously love the argument of "well if you take out such and such and such"...check mate, every time. :rolleyes: While you're at discrediting WR's for their best games of the season, go ahead and take out that 189 and 149 yard game from Steve Smith last season and see what that does for his season stats.

[quote name='JUNGLE TIME' post='505890' date='Jun 29 2007, 02:08 PM']It kind of reminds me of the [i]astonishment [/i]that Marvin Lewis expressed at the [i]strange inferiority complex[/i] that many Bengals fans seem to be infected with.[/quote]

:049:

Bengals fans are some of the most neurotic in sports. That's probably why these forums seem like some twisted form of a group therapy session most times.

[quote name='Lucid' post='505950' date='Jun 29 2007, 04:01 PM']:049:
Bengals fans are some of the most neurotic in sports. That's probably why these forums seem like some twisted form of a group therapy session most times.[/quote]

Hell, not just Bengals fans but Cincy fans in general. if you think these boards are bad go check out some of the Reds boards. Sheesh! :o

Guest Claptonrocks
This year Id take Johnson-TJ combo over any in football.. I think both are top ten receivers right now.
Bolden and Fizgerald are closing fast imo...Leinart has to be a happy camper IF he gets any kind of protection this year

Quote from the Steelers board at Scout,com ...

[quote][b] wendellfears wrote: [/b]
[b][i]ward [/i][/b] doesnt have the elite speed, and he doesnt dominate games like owens and moss did a few years back [b][i]but he is the best complete reciever bar none[/i][/b][/quote]
How there is a [i]real [/i]homer statement for anyone who would like to see one.

[quote name='JUNGLE TIME' post='506514' date='Jul 1 2007, 07:00 PM']Quote from the Steelers board at Scout,com ...

How there is a [i]real [/i]homer statement for anyone who would like to see one.[/quote]

he has a point if you value blocking evenly with speed, hands, etc...

by far the best blocking WR in the league (maybe toughest as well?)

If I had to list my top 5, I think I would go:

1) Harrison (fast, never drops anything, tough)
2) Holt (same)
3) Johnson
4) Smith
5) Owens (if healthy, and gains his sanity again, he becomes number one)

Honorable mentions: Wayne, Housh, Fitzgerald, Boldin

Archived