Bengals Notes by Chick Ludwig DDN

[quote][size=5][b]Geathers hungry for sacks[/b][/size]

By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Thursday, August 02, 2007

GEORGETOWN, Ky. — Cincinnati Bengals defensive end Robert Geathers made two promises at training camp on Wednesday.

Money won't change him and he'll try his best to add to his sacks total.

Geathers' 10.5 sacks in 2006 made him the first Bengal to record double-digit sacks since Alfred Williams had 10 in 1992. Geathers was rewarded with a six-year, $33.7 million contract.

"It's security for me and my family," Geathers said. "Other than that, I'm still hungry and ready to go. I feel a little more explosive. There are guys around the league getting 17 sacks. I'm not there yet and I want to be there, so I'll just keep working."

[b]Entrenched Coats[/b]

Rookie tight end Daniel Coats' chances of making the team have increased dramatically because of his production along with injuries to his teammates.

Tim Day became the third tight end injured in as many days — joining Sean Mulcahy (neck) and Bobby Blizzard (back) — when he suffered a knee injury that landed him on crutches.

Head coach Marvin Lewis said Coats "has been a very physical blocker" and is showing solid receiving skills.

"Playing in an offense where they throw the football like they did at BYU, he really knows the finer points of the passing game," Lewis said. "He already understands getting in and out of cuts, and has good hands."

[b]Family matters[/b]

Free safety Madieu Williams spent last season rehabbing his surgically repaired left shoulder and dealing with family issues. He has sole custody of his younger brother after the death of their mother.

"Now he's a different guy," Lewis said. "He doesn't have all those pressures on him. You see his smile again."

[b]Told you so[/b]

In the days leading up to camp, wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh was pestered by the media about why he decided to spend most of the offseason training in California.

"You'll see," he kept saying.

Now we know. Houshmandzadeh is flashing more speed.

"I better be faster. I worked on it hard," he said. "Hey, I'm still young. I'm getting old in age (30 in September), but I'm young in football years (seventh season). I feel great."[/quote]

Archived