would you trade for Michael Strahan ?

[quote]From Albany, N.Y. to Terre Haute, Ind., to Nashville, Tenn., questions persist about defensive linemen that have stolen headlines from quarterbacks.

None have been any bigger than whether or not perennial Pro Bowl defensive end Michael Strahan will retire. Some think he will, others think he will report, but an option that has gone overlooked is the option that could be most viable.

In the end, the New York Giants could decide to trade Strahan. As unthinkable as it now sounds, it should not be ruled out. If Strahan declines to report but has a desire to continue playing -- and those who have spoken to him know that he does -- then New York could decide it is better off getting something instead of nothing for Strahan.

The Washington Redskins already have expressed an interest, and other teams also would if the Giants decided to entertain offers. Over time it is expected that they will, but they have made it very clear that they will not restructure Strahan's contract, which could help end this stalemate.

Now, the only thing certain is this: The longer Strahan's unholdout holdout lasts, the less likely it is that he will remain as a New York Giant.[/quote]

[url="http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10278976"]http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10278976[/url]

not sure what i would offer them but i've always loved his style of play, and wish we could of had him in his prime <_<

strahan right now, is better than most young players in the NFL!

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='521044' date='Aug 3 2007, 12:17 PM']Jamie i know. but his play is better than most in the NFL right now![/quote]

Sorry man, he would last a year maybe two, he is a good player but, I dont think hes going to last much longer.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='521075' date='Aug 3 2007, 01:12 PM']Sorry man, he would last a year maybe two, he is a good player but, I dont think hes going to last much longer.[/quote]

not going to lose sleep over it. like i said it would of been sweet to have him in his prime.

im not going to pull a Jeb on this.

J/K Jeb :lol:

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='521091' date='Aug 3 2007, 12:35 PM']i would trade justin for him since we don't plan on keeping justin for more thatn a year anyway[/quote]
Except we're getting a year out of Justin and then a first day draft pick in 2009. Marvin is already on record as loving the extra draft picks he'll have in '08 and beyond that he didn't have this year.

I wouldn't be against trading a 6th rounder for him since we should have a shitload of picks next year. I don't want them to do it if he would want the Bengals to restructure his contract though.

He did say he would love to play for Marvin earlier this off-season.

[quote name='dex' post='521188' date='Aug 3 2007, 11:37 PM']Except we're getting a year out of Justin and then a first day draft pick in 2009. Marvin is already on record as loving the extra draft picks he'll have in '08 and beyond that he didn't have this year.[/quote]
good point... hadn't looked at it that way...

[quote name='dex' post='521188' date='Aug 3 2007, 06:37 PM']Except we're getting a year out of Justin and then a first day draft pick in 2009. Marvin is already on record as loving the extra draft picks he'll have in '08 and beyond that he didn't have this year.[/quote]

As UK said, good point. Smith will be the type of guy who, like Steinbach, will get us a 3rd rounder in the following year. New England has built that team by letting a lot of higher priced guys go and building through tons of mid round picks.

Of course, picks are only as good as what you use them for. If this year and next year's mid round picks pan out like Peko, Geathers, Andrews, etc. we should be in great shape going forward.

[quote name='happyrid' post='521345' date='Aug 3 2007, 09:46 PM']As UK said, good point. Smith will be the type of guy who, like Steinbach, will get us a 3rd rounder in the following year. New England has built that team by letting a lot of higher priced guys go and building through tons of mid round picks.

[b]Of course, picks are only as good as what you use them for. If this year and next year's mid round picks pan out like Peko, Geathers, Andrews, etc. we should be in great shape going forward.[/b][/quote]
YES!!!
Fingers are crossed!

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='521044' date='Aug 3 2007, 12:17 PM']Jamie i know. but his play is better than most in the NFL right now![/quote]

Strahan was one of the best DEs I have ever seen, but he is washed up now. Last year he was healthy for the first eight games of the season and only had 3 sacks and 20 something tackles. Now he is a year older, and players his age get worse instead of better. Also not only is he recovering from a serious foot injury, but it is his second serious injury in the last 3 years. Add the fact that he is not playing in NY becauze $4 million dollars is not enough, and he isn't even worth a seventh rounder. Not only would he take a huge chunk of our salary cap, but he would also force us to cut a young player that we could be developing for the future.

[quote name='dex' post='521188' date='Aug 3 2007, 06:37 PM']Except we're getting a year out of Justin and then [b]a first day draft pick[/b] in 2009. Marvin is already on record as loving the extra draft picks he'll have in '08 and beyond that he didn't have this year.[/quote]

I think it's a bit early to say Justin will get us a third-round pick...a lot will depend upon other free agent signings around the league.

I'm also not so sure that Steinbach will get us a 3rd rounder...wouldn't surprise me at all for it to be a 4th rounder (with Clement and Thomas resulting in 3rd rounders for their former teams).

[quote name='Cricket' post='521948' date='Aug 5 2007, 07:44 PM']I think it's a bit early to say Justin will get us a third-round pick...a lot will depend upon other free agent signings around the league.

I'm also not so sure that Steinbach will get us a 3rd rounder...wouldn't surprise me at all for it to be a 4th rounder (with Clement and Thomas resulting in 3rd rounders for their former teams).[/quote]
I think they both get us 3rd rounders....but that's just me...

[quote name='Bunghole' post='521957' date='Aug 5 2007, 09:53 PM']I think they both get us 3rd rounders....but that's just me...[/quote]
whats the criteria for receiving a draft pick for a starting offensive lineman?
Is it based on whether he's a probowler or some ranking system..
Steinbach was a second rounder ...

Archived