Peter King's Monday Morning QB (Tuesday Edition)

Answers some questions about Chad:

[quote]CHAD'S GOT TO BE MORE RESPONSIBLE. From Cosmo of Newington, Conn.: "Peter, I know you love Chad Johnson; I love him too. I think he's fun for the league and all, but how can we sit here and not address the fact that this guy is willing to risk a one-game suspension just for a celebration?! Hardly seems like something a true professional or 'team player' would do.''

I think, Cosmo, he was pulling my leg a bit. He's not going to do something that will get him suspended, I don't think. I asked Marvin Lewis if he knew what was up, and he said no, but he also said Johnson wouldn't do something that would get him whacked for a week. Just a gut feeling: He'll do something colorful but not worthy of a ban.

PHILLIPS THINKS I'M TWO-FACED. From Phillip of Queens, N.Y.: "You don't cover T.O. and Chad Johnson the same way and that's not fair! I'm a fan of both great receivers and love the fun they add to the game, but how can you blast T.O. when he does something and give Chad a pass?

"Chad just admitted to you that he has something planned that may cost him a one-game suspension. In a division that will come down to the wire, one game could mean them being at home. You said nothing! You let him slide. But if T.O. does something that costs his team 15 yards in a game, you call him selfish?

"Also, Chad admits he doesn't block well and you say nothing, yet T.O. is one of the best blocking receivers in the game and you give him no credit. You have got to play fair when reporting on these guys, otherwise when you come down on Randy, T.O., or any other receiver you don't like, you look biased.''

Very good point. If Johnson did get suspended for a week, I would slam him. As I wrote above, I don't think that will happen. My feeling about Owens vs. Chad is pretty simple: T.O. does destructive things that hurt the teams he's on. Johnson does enjoyable things we laugh at. He doesn't split the locker room in two. They are very different guys.[/quote]

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/08/07/colts/1.html"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...07/colts/1.html[/url]

Chad has done some things that have almost cost them a victory. 2003 Seattle, he did the throat slash that cost them on the kickoff and Brian Simmons saved the game with an Int, but it put Seattle in a prime spot to start a drive to win. The 2004 Bengal come back by Carson was made harder because TJ/Chad do a chest bump which draws a flag then Ravens end up in prime spot to start a drive, kick a FG, take the lead and leave it on the shoulders of Carson.

He's been lucky so far, but if it does cost them one day, it will be a HUGE MARK against a great career. It could almost be the equivalent of Thurman Thomas forgetting his helmet. I think it's time for Chad to redefine himself as a serious football player. The attention grabbing stuff has run it's course and already served it's purpose as he is among the most recognizable players. Now that stuff has just become a focus of the media and as admitted by King above something they'll use to stab him in the back the first time they can. You know they don't care about what he is really like in the lockeroom or how hard he works, King pratically admits he's waiting for him to fuck up so they can get the new TO the media has always wanted.

[quote name='scharm' post='523173' date='Aug 7 2007, 03:07 PM']The 2004 Bengal come back by Carson was made harder because TJ/Chad do a chest bump which draws a flag then Ravens end up in prime spot to start a drive, kick a FG, take the lead and leave it on the shoulders of Carson.[/quote]

That penalty was an absolute joke and never should have been called. Players do chest bumps all the time without penalty.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='523180' date='Aug 7 2007, 03:45 PM']That penalty was an absolute joke and never should have been called. Players do chest bumps all the time without penalty.[/quote]

Oh, I agree, but do you think the media is going to spare Chad Johnson the ridicule even if it's a bad call? I doubt it. At this point you don't want to be the smart kid in class that has the reputation of being the class clown. You don't want to be Michael Irvin which judging by all the stories about him was one hell of a teamate and loved to play football and win, but all he's going to be known for is the time he wore the mink coat to court and was caught in a hotel room with coke and some hookers.

Those bad calls happen all the time, it seems at least once a week. Why risk it? The crap isn't even that entertaining anymore.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='523180' date='Aug 7 2007, 03:45 PM']That penalty was an absolute joke and never should have been called. Players do chest bumps all the time without penalty.[/quote]

I was listening to Lap on 1530 during either the scrimmage or mock and he said that the "chest bump" is NOT a penalty or a "point of emphasis" this year. As he explained it, it was still extremely vague and appears to have tons of discretion by the official. But nonetheless, I agree a chest bump is the same as a high five. That call ranked up there with the Justin Smith roughing the passer call against the Tampa.

[quote name='scharm' post='523173' date='Aug 7 2007, 03:07 PM']He's been lucky so far, but if it does cost them one day, it will be a HUGE MARK against a great career. It could almost be the equivalent of Thurman Thomas forgetting his helmet.[/quote]

Thurman Thomas is in the HOF.

[quote name='jza10304' post='523515' date='Aug 8 2007, 10:00 AM']Thurman Thomas is in the HOF.[/quote]

Yeah, that's my point. Thurman Thomas HOF RB, out of all the things he did while putting up the HOF career in the NFL, the forgetting of his helmet is what he's known for. Why? Because some media hard ons made such a huge deal about it.

The powers that be in the NFL clearly don't want this crap in the game, there are bad calls on this stuff almost everyweek, Chad Johnson has established himself as one of the game's best. Would you like for him to be known for that or something that has to do with one of his celebrations not going exactly how he planned?

If Chad Johnson ever gets hit with a penalty for celebrating a TD during a critical part of a game that cost his team, he'll be Leon Lett dancing to the end zone only to have Tasker knock the ball from his hands. That will forever define what his career is in the NFL.

[quote name='scharm' post='523563' date='Aug 8 2007, 11:25 AM']Yeah, that's my point. Thurman Thomas HOF RB, out of all the things he did while putting up the HOF career in the NFL, the forgetting of his helmet is what he's known for. Why? Because some media hard ons made such a huge deal about it.

The powers that be in the NFL clearly don't want this crap in the game, there are bad calls on this stuff almost everyweek, Chad Johnson has established himself as one of the game's best. Would you like for him to be known for that or something that has to do with one of his celebrations not going exactly how he planned?

If Chad Johnson ever gets hit with a penalty for celebrating a TD during a critical part of a game that cost his team, he'll be Leon Lett dancing to the end zone only to have Tasker knock the ball from his hands. That will forever define what his career is in the NFL.[/quote]

I dont know about all that, yeah I guess to some degree you remember these things that these guys did. But I remember what a damn good RB Thomas was, or that Irvin was a damn good reciever. Sure you do remember the other things as well, but when you talk about these guys and probabally moreso with Thomas than Irvin, their play is what holds up moreso to me.

When you talk about Joe Namath, what comes up first, how good of a QB he was or that he used to wear fur coats all the time?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='523572' date='Aug 8 2007, 11:40 AM']I dont know about all that, yeah I guess to some degree you remember these things that these guys did. But I remember what a damn good RB Thomas was, or that Irvin was a damn good reciever. Sure you do remember the other things as well, but when you talk about these guys and probabally moreso with Thomas than Irvin, their play is what holds up moreso to me.

When you talk about Joe Namath, what comes up first, how good of a QB he was or that he used to wear fur coats all the time?[/quote]

I'd say Joe is most known for making the gaurantee and being Broadway Joe, but neither one is never taken as a negative. I never meant to say their play is forgotten, it does in fact share a stage with the other stuff, in Thurman's case his helmet, in Irvin's case his love for nose candy etc. Many times that's what they are known for.

I know that the first thing most people remember when they hear the name "Jerry Rice" is that he was a whiny ass bitch about T.O. setting the NFL single game reception record in Jerry's last game as a Niner. None of his on-field accomplishments mean anything because of that. He will go down in history as a no-class loser.

:ninja:

[quote name='scharm' post='523181' date='Aug 7 2007, 03:52 PM']Michael Irvin - all he's going to be known for is the time he wore the mink coat to court and was caught in a hotel room with coke and some hookers.[/quote]

Wow dont you think you're reaching there a bit. I mean yeah at the time those things happened everybody was like "damn way to fuck up Irvin". But honestly if you hadnt of brought it up, and we were having a Irvin discussion... I would've never even remembered it. I do remember him pushing off all the time and getting away with it more than all that nonsense. I hated that dude but during his time he was a kickass wideout. When talking about these guys after all's said and done, why even bring up that kind of shit? To me personally it seems kind of lame. But hey go for what you know dude.

Archived