MEMORABLE MOMENT NO. 27

Ever been to the postseason in preseason?
Who else but Carson Comeback can take Bengaldom there in August? Aug. 28, 2006 to be exact. In front of anxious teammates, coaches, a sold-out Paul Brown Stadium brimming with a preseason record of 65,614, and a national TV audience, Palmer serves notice that his reconstructed left knee has done him no harm.

Returning to the field where Steelers defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen chewed off his leg on the second snap of the Wild Card Game a mere seven months before, Palmer drills the Packers with a 136.9 passer rating in the first half as the Bengals race to a 24-0 lead. In his first outing and just three weeks since he began practice, he completes nine of 14 passes for 140 yards, three touchdowns and countless spine-tingling ovations.

The best? It comes on his first long series when he takes a hit, scrambles, and slides for 11 yards. Then he gets up and culminates the drive with a six-yard rope to tight end Reggie Kelly for his first touchdown. Later he'll take a hellacious hit from 300-pound defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins, and get up to watch his pass. Later still he'll throw a beautiful touch lead pass for 28 yards down the sideline to wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

The natural world even seemed to salute Palmer's Herculean achievement as a lightning storm rolled through downtown Cincinnati and caused the first weather delay at home in the 39 years of the Bengals.

Palmer goes on to make his second straight Pro Bowl with a 93.9 passer rating and keeps the Bengals alive for the playoffs by living up to Carson Comeback when he generates chances for potential tying or winning points in the last sudden-death drives of each of the last two games. Then he wins MVP of the Pro Bowl 13 months to the day of surgery.

Carson is back.

As in Carson Comeback.

------------

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6166"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6166[/url]

I still remember being at that game..50 yard line..Like 4th row..I have never been so excited in my life..The return of Carson..I remember him first running onto the field..I don't think I was ever that loud EVER..Good memories..It was probably the best game I have ever been to and it was PRESEASON!!

[quote name='CJ4MVP85' post='528778' date='Aug 16 2007, 04:21 PM']Ever been to the postseason in preseason?
Who else but Carson Comeback can take Bengaldom there in August? Aug. 28, 2006 to be exact. In front of anxious teammates, coaches, a sold-out Paul Brown Stadium brimming with a preseason record of 65,614, and a national TV audience, Palmer serves notice that his reconstructed left knee has done him no harm.

Returning to the field where Steelers defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen chewed off his leg on the second snap of the Wild Card Game a mere seven months before, Palmer drills the Packers with a 136.9 passer rating in the first half as the Bengals race to a 24-0 lead. In his first outing and just three weeks since he began practice, he completes nine of 14 passes for 140 yards, three touchdowns and countless spine-tingling ovations.

The best? It comes on his first long series when he takes a hit, scrambles, and slides for 11 yards. Then he gets up and culminates the drive with a six-yard rope to tight end Reggie Kelly for his first touchdown. Later he'll take a hellacious hit from 300-pound defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins, and get up to watch his pass. Later still he'll throw a beautiful touch lead pass for 28 yards down the sideline to wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

The natural world even seemed to salute Palmer's Herculean achievement as a lightning storm rolled through downtown Cincinnati and caused the first weather delay at home in the 39 years of the Bengals.

Palmer goes on to make his second straight Pro Bowl with a 93.9 passer rating and keeps the Bengals alive for the playoffs by living up to Carson Comeback when he generates chances for potential tying or winning points in the last sudden-death drives of each of the last two games. Then he wins MVP of the Pro Bowl 13 months to the day of surgery.

Carson is back.

As in Carson Comeback.
------------

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6166"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6166[/url]
I still remember being at that game..50 yard line..Like 4th row..I have never been so excited in my life..The return of Carson..I remember him first running onto the field..I don't think I was ever that loud EVER..Good memories..It was probably the best game I have ever been to and it was PRESEASON!![/quote]
I was there as well. I still get chills thinking about that game. The Bengals completely dominated that game, first string, second string, hell our cheerleaders beat the shit out of theirs. I thought we were unstoppable after that game, because the only question mark at that point was Carson's health.

That game was incredible. And it was just a preseason game... It felt like they'd just won The Big One when Carson came running onto the field.
Over and over again I held my breath, and over and over again he'd get up. That was an incredible game.

If that's spot 27, then there's another 26 that are going to floor me somehow...

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='528798' date='Aug 16 2007, 05:12 PM']Over and over again I held my breath, and over and over again he'd get up. That was an incredible game.[/quote]

I felt that way the first 10 games of the season.

Watching a healthy Carson tear up the field and take hits was truley the most awesome way to celebrate seeing my Bengals again after a long offseason

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='529305' date='Aug 17 2007, 10:07 PM']I could have made it all the way back home that night, but I stopped at a hotel in some hicktown in WV to watch the Bengals/Packers and Carson's first game back.
[b]
I was so hyped during and after that game. Even Sam Adams looked like a beast that night.[/b][/quote]
Yup. He looked promising until he got hurt in that game.

Archived