Update: New LB to get work

[quote][size=5][b]Update: New LB to get work [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
August 25, 2007

One example of the true athleticism of the Bengals tackles:

During warmups in Paul Brown Stadium before Saturday's practice, guys who usually don't get a chance to catch passes got a chance to run some routes. At the end of the drill, Levi Jones told Andrew Whitworth, "I got you Whit," and shotputted a ball about 30 yards down the middle to the 6-7, 340-pound Whitworth and Whitworth gathered it on the run.

Jones continues to back up Whitworth at left tackle, but says he feels like he can go on his rehabbed knee anywhere at anytime Monday night. Lewis has given indications Jones will work second team against the Falcons.

It looks like the newest Bengal, Lemar Marshall, is going to get plenty of work in his debut. For the second straight day Saturday, starting strong side linebacker Rashad Jeanty didn't work with an undisclosed ailment.

Cornerback Brandon Williams returned to practice Saturday after about a week's absence. After a day off, safety Madieu Williams returned. Safety Herana-Daze Jones, who hurt his knee last Saturday night, doesn't appear to have a major injury but hasn't worked this week. Same with defensive end Robert Geathers (ribs). Rookie linebacker Earl Everett also sat out Saturday.

Also, wide receiver Glenn Holt (hamstring) doesn't figure to play Monday but he does in the Aug. 31 preseason finale.

One question looming is if the Bengals will let wide receiver Tab Perry return kicks and/or punts in the wake of his hip injury and given he'll most likely be the third wide receiver. But they will let him catch both in practice.

The Lakota Tomahawks youth football team paid a visit early in Saturday's practice.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6222"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6222[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='533487' date='Aug 25 2007, 09:25 PM']agreed, I don't see Holt making the team.[/quote]

I see it differently. Holt gets alot of credit points last year from his ST play. He was an excellent gunner and also a respectable return guy on Kickoffs. Here is my guess/opinion on the Wr's

Locks: Chad, TJ, Perry, and Green

2 remaining spots (I think they only keep 6) is a battle between these 4: Holt, Brazell, Mcneal, and Chatman. Neither Brazell or Mcneal has proven anything in the Preseason games to separate themselves from Holt or for that matter Chatman. Holt and Chatman have real NFL experience, so the coaches know what to expect from them. Brazell and Mcneal have potential. It will be interesting to watch the next two games.

My prediction is that Holt and Mcneal fill out the final two roster spots. Chatman is released and Brazell to the PS.

Having said that I would like to see Brazell instead of Mcneal, but I get the feeling that the coaching staff is more enamored with Mcneals potential.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='533513' date='Aug 25 2007, 10:48 PM']I see it differently. Holt gets alot of credit points last year from his ST play. He was an excellent gunner and also a respectable return guy on Kickoffs. Here is my guess/opinion on the Wr's

Locks: Chad, TJ, Perry, and Green

2 remaining spots (I think they only keep 6) is a battle between these 4: Holt, Brazell, Mcneal, and Chatman. Neither Brazell or Mcneal has proven anything in the Preseason games to separate themselves from Holt or for that matter Chatman. Holt and Chatman have real NFL experience, so the coaches know what to expect from them. Brazell and Mcneal have potential. It will be interesting to watch the next two games.

My prediction is that Holt and Mcneal fill out the final two roster spots. Chatman is released and Brazell to the PS.

Having said that I would like to see Brazell instead of Mcneal, but I get the feeling that the coaching staff is more enamored with Mcneals potential.[/quote]

see, the way I see it, Holt has been out all preseason and hasn't been able to show anything. Green has replaced him well on kickoffs. White and Ndukwe have replaced him as gunners. He didn't show anything as a WR last year, so why not keep Brazell who has much more upside as a WR?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='533517' date='Aug 25 2007, 10:55 PM']see, the way I see it, Holt has been out all preseason and hasn't been able to show anything. Green has replaced him well on kickoffs. White and Ndukwe have replaced him as gunners. He didn't show anything as a WR last year, so why not keep Brazell who has much more upside as a WR?[/quote]

I agree that Holt has shown nothing this year do to injury. But quite frankly neither has Brazell, Mcneal, or Chatman. From the beat writers they have said Brazell has been awesome in practice. But yet Mcneal has gotten the snaps in front of him. Mcneal still can't catch - atleast from what I have seen from videos on Bengals.com and he preseason games. Chatman can't even practice without getting hurt.

My point is no one, do to injury or performance on the field, has separated themselves from the other. By no means am I saying my prediction/opinion is a slam dunk, I was just trying to read the tea leaves and make a best guess - with holt and mcneal getting the last two spots. And as I said, I would like to see Brazell but I have this gut feeling he might not make it. Hope he does.

[quote name='Tigris' post='534376' date='Aug 27 2007, 04:05 PM']So when do they have to make these next cuts? I know it's the 28th of August, which is tomorrow, but is it essentially tonight at midnight? or is it during the day on the 28th at a specific time?[/quote]

tomorrow by noon or 4, gotta be down to 75...

Archived