Bowie over Jordan

Come on. That was bad. But Smith over LT. Surely by now we'd have to admit that was a tiny bit of a mistake? I think Justin is excellent and all Rudi all the time works for me. But LT. Mmmmm.

Yes I know Matt Schobel over Will Witherspoon is pretty bad, and that a ton of other "hindsight" picks can be pointed at, but surely missing out on his generations premiere RB is something?

Yes. I'm that bored waiting for monday lol.
VB

[quote name='VonBlade' post='533410' date='Aug 25 2007, 05:08 PM']Come on. That was bad. But Smith over LT. Surely by now we'd have to admit that was a tiny bit of a mistake? I think Justin is excellent and all Rudi all the time works for me. But LT. Mmmmm.

Yes I know Matt Schobel over Will Witherspoon is pretty bad, and that a ton of other "hindsight" picks can be pointed at, but surely missing out on his generations premiere RB is something?

VB[/quote]
but worse was that san diego had the first pick and wanted LT and traded down to 5 and still got him

[quote name='VonBlade' post='533410' date='Aug 25 2007, 05:08 PM']Come on. That was bad. But Smith over LT. Surely by now we'd have to admit that was a tiny bit of a mistake? I think Justin is excellent and all Rudi all the time works for me. But LT. Mmmmm.

VB[/quote]

How about taking Dave Rimmington over Dan Marino.

Or Eddie Brown over Jerry Rice?

[quote name='spicoli' post='533419' date='Aug 25 2007, 05:25 PM']yeah but let's not forget...the Chargers are the same team that took Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning...[/quote]

Manning was taken first overall, Leaf was second.

[quote name='Jason' post='533433' date='Aug 25 2007, 10:55 PM']How about taking Dave Rimmington over Dan Marino.

Or Eddie Brown over Jerry Rice?[/quote]

I was trying to keep to a recent couple of examples. Mainly because I was cutting the old scouts some slack and assuming in the modern era there shouldn't be a player alive we don't know about.

Still, Brown over Rice certainly is up there. (or what about E Manning over just about anyone :) )

[quote name='VonBlade' post='533436' date='Aug 25 2007, 06:03 PM']Still, Brown over Rice certainly is up there. (or what about E Manning over just about anyone :) )[/quote]

I will forever hate eli and archie manning for the pompous shit they tried to pull - and I love seeing Rivers far outplay Eli and lead a great team. I wouldn't mind seeing the giants lose every game this year, now that The Torch is gone. Half of eli's TDs were just jump balls thrown up to burress anyway.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='533410' date='Aug 25 2007, 02:08 PM']Come on. That was bad. But Smith over LT. Surely by now we'd have to admit that was a tiny bit of a mistake? I think Justin is excellent and all Rudi all the time works for me. But LT. Mmmmm.[/quote]

I remember being totally confused why everyone on the bengals forums was so ecstatic about us taking Justin Smith. I wasn't that impressed with him then (at least not as a pass rusher), and he has actually exceeded my expectation. Now all of you who were all in favor of him are calling him Bustin.

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='533486' date='Aug 25 2007, 09:19 PM']i think chris perry over steven jackson wasn't smart

even last yea[b]r frostee rucker over mark anderson are you shitting me[/b]

those are just two more to add[/quote]

hindsight is bliss. Mark Anderson wasn't high on many teams boards.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='533439' date='Aug 25 2007, 06:11 PM']I will forever hate eli and archie manning for the pompous shit they tried to pull - and I love seeing Rivers far outplay Eli and lead a great team. I wouldn't mind seeing the giants lose every game this year, now that The Torch is gone. Half of eli's TDs were just jump balls thrown up to burress anyway.[/quote]

On a related note. If you had the football talent and luck to be drafted, would you go to the Stealers or would you refuse?

[quote name='Knucklehead' post='533519' date='Aug 25 2007, 11:03 PM']On a related note. If you had the football talent and luck to be drafted, would you go to the Stealers or would you refuse?[/quote]

ha, I'd sign, accidentally take out a few knees in practice, and then get myself cut and invest the signing bonus. ;) If you're good enough to be drafted, you can probably land with another team after getting cut.

[quote name='Storm' post='533510' date='Aug 25 2007, 10:43 PM']Lets not forget [b]Artrell Hawkins over Samari Rolle[/b] and Patrick Surtain

Thats what a sorry scouting dept does for you[/quote]

That one still steams me. I remember watching that draft and wanting Rolle.

Here's another one - passing on Howie Long in the 1981 draft. And taking David Verser in 1.

I'm going to take this in a different direction. I remember when the Bengals drafted Anthony Munoz. I was like WTF! The dude was injured throughout his college career - but yet had talent. I still remember the Rose Bowl with USC vs. OSU. I think it was one of Munoz's few games that year. he was a beast, but I still was not convinced.

I thoguht no way this guy can handle the NFL, he can not stay healthy - talent yes, but the risk was way too great given his history. I know for certain it was my biggest miss in terms of an opinion on Bengal draft picks.

What were some of your biggest misses?

You could do this forever............ Rudi was a 4th rounder passed over and over again. He now on his way to becoming the Bengals all time leading rusher. Dillon was passed over and over again. Terrell Davis was what------ 6th rounder and had a 200 yd season.

You cannot tell the future. Players develop, some do not. Some get hurt, some do not. That's life.

Just like SD. Dumbest mistake in recent memory but they managed to get away with it. Giving up on Brees after year two and drafting a QB ---------- After the rook held out Brees became an MVP hopefull. SD was let off the hook when Brees got hurt but if Brees stays on this pace and Rivers play drops ---------- backlash.

I hate threads like this... they are pointless. For everyone, Smith over LT, there is a Levi or over whoever else was available.

How about Peko in round 4? Or Madieu in round 2? or Perry in round 7 ? Or Chad in round 2? Or Rudi in round 4? Or TJ in round 7? Or whitworth in round 2? or All probowl caliber players after round 1...

I guess that's what a "bad" scouting department does for you...

Dumb thread.

EDIT: It's one thing to look back and say "what if" but to blame our scouting department or GM over who was taken after our picks is silly. You could do it with everyteam and every pick... it's pointless.

Wait a minute. we had Corey Dillon at that time. What the hell would we be doing drafting a 1st round RB?
This isnt' even a critique of our drafting or scouting, its just silly.

Thats like saying we should have drafted Quinn this year. He might be a star! Carson who?

In theory, teams draft BPA - but they never ever do. They draft best player at position of need. If you are set for
a number of years at a spot, you dont draft to fill it again.

[quote name='Oldcat' post='533635' date='Aug 26 2007, 01:05 PM']Wait a minute. we had Corey Dillon at that time. What the hell would we be doing drafting a 1st round RB?

Thats like saying we should have drafted Quinn this year. He might be a star! Carson who?

In theory, teams draft BPA - but they never ever do. They draft best player at position of need. If you are set for
a number of years at a spot, you dont draft to fill it again.[/quote]

great post.

[quote name='Oldcat' post='533635' date='Aug 26 2007, 01:05 PM']Wait a minute. we had Corey Dillon at that time. What the hell would we be doing drafting a 1st round RB?

[color="#FF0000"]In theory, teams draft BPA - but they never ever do. They draft best player at position of need. If you are set for
a number of years at a spot, you dont draft to fill it again.[/color][/quote]

TESTIFY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived