Bengals lose out on Pittman but improve team
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: September 2, 2007, 11:21 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
One of the fascinating parts of the post cutdown period is watching teams trying to fill needs right before the season starts.

On Sunday, half the league -- 16 teams -- received waiver claims on young players who were cut on Saturday. Overall, 30 of 35 players who were claimed went to different teams, with the Bengals and the Panthers leading the way with three waiver claims apiece.

Complete Transactions

Check out all the NFL transactions as they cross the wire. Teams had to make their final roster cuts Saturday to reach the mandatory limit of 53 players. Transactions

The big winner of the day might have been the Bengals. They lost out on a waiver claim on fourth-round choice Antonio Pittman, a Saints running back who was released. He went to the Rams who had a priority position in the claiming system because of their record in a tiebreaker. Both teams finished 8-8 last year.

Instead, the Bengals received undrafted Harvard halfback Clifton Dawson from the Colts. The Bengals needed a backup runner because of injuries to backups Kenny Irons and Chris Perry. The Bengals added depth on defense. They claimed cornerback David Jones, a fifth-round choice of the Saints, and linebacker Anthony Schlegel from the Jets.

Schegel might be the best choice. He comes to a depleted Bengals linebacking crops.

The Panthers tried to fill a few backup needs. They beat out the Chiefs for Oregon State quarterback Matt Moore, who was cut by the Cowboys, They put tight end Michael Gaines on injured reserve and added Marcus Freeman, a tight end cut by Baltimore. They shuffled their backup offensive line by claiming tackle Frank Omiyale of the Falcons and releasing two former draft choices -- Rashad Butler and Will Montgomery.

The Packers were active in the fullback market. They put in claims for John Kuhn of the Steelers, Lousaka Polite of the Cowboys and Derek Schouman of the Bills. From those three, the Packers chose Kuhn.

The Cardinals are in the market for a pass rusher and may be trying out several over the next couple of weeks. The first move was made Sunday when they claimed Raiders third-round choice Quentin Moses. Linebacker Chike Okeafor went on the injured reserve list Sunday and is out for the season.

As expected, the Dolphins aren't settled along the offensive line. They claimed and were awarded tackle Cory Lekkerker of the Chargers and guard Gene Mruczkowski of the Patriots. To make room for them, they released center Clint Ingram.

Perhaps a more interesting move was claiming wide receiver Greg Camarillo. Camarillo is the type of sure-handed receiver who reminds you of Wes Welker, whom they dealt to the Patriots during the offseason. In Chargers practices, Camarillo usually came up with one or two great catches a day. Head coach Cam Cameron was the Chargers offensive coordinator last season so he knows Camarillo and Lekkerker.

The Redskins dropped their roster to 52 Saturday because they planned to claim a wide receiver. They had only four prior to the waiver claim. They lost Taye Biddle of the Panthers to the Bucs but ended up with Shaun Bodiford of the Packers.

The Vikings hoped to slip quarterback Tyler Thigpen through waivers, but that didn't work. The Chiefs, trying to replace Casey Printers as a third quarterback, claimed Thigpen and put him in that spot.

The Giants made a smart move by picking up guard Kevin Boothe of the Raiders. Boothe started last season in Oakland and some had him grading out as one of the top Raiders linemen. Claiming Boothe allowed the Giants to get younger along the offensive line. They released veteran Zach Piller.

Like someone said earlier... if any of these waiver wire pickups REALLY help the team, then we're probably screwed to begin with. None of these guys, except for maybe that halfback, will even be activated for the games... but good to have around just in case, I guess.

[quote name='Tigris' post='539381' date='Sep 3 2007, 02:56 AM']Like someone said earlier... if any of these waiver wire pickups REALLY help the team, then we're probably screwed to begin with. None of these guys, except for maybe that halfback, will even be activated for the games... but good to have around just in case, I guess.[/quote]
I disagree. Kevin Walter really helped us out, and it didn't mean we were screwed.

[quote]They lost out on a waiver claim on fourth-round choice Antonio Pittman,

Instead, the Bengals received undrafted Harvard halfback Clifton Dawson from the Colts[/quote]

That's like saying they missed out on a weekend with the Swedish Bikini Team and instead got to clean their grans false teeth.
VB

[quote name='Tigris' post='539384' date='Sep 3 2007, 03:22 AM']Was he a waiver-wire claim?[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Yeah.......he was cut by either the Jets or the Giants......cant remember which one but it was a New York team.[/b][/color]

[quote name='Tigris' post='539381' date='Sep 3 2007, 02:56 AM']Like someone said earlier... if any of these waiver wire pickups REALLY help the team, then we're probably screwed to begin with. None of these guys, except for maybe that halfback, will even be activated for the games... but good to have around just in case, I guess.[/quote]

I think it also depends on the role they will be playing for the team. Picking up a running back, a linebacker, and a corner sounds, to my untrained ear, as though they are grabbing guys to play special teams. I agree that looking for starters off the waiver wire is the province of the screwed. There may be a couple worth grabbing, but you have to be bottom of the barrel to be first in line with the waiver wire. :)

[quote name='Tigris' post='539381' date='Sep 3 2007, 02:56 AM']Like someone said earlier... if any of these waiver wire pickups REALLY help the team, then we're probably screwed to begin with. [b]None of these guys, except for maybe that halfback, will even be activated for the games[/b]... but good to have around just in case, I guess.[/quote]

Disagree. Schlegal will be activated for special teams, especially while Jeanty is out.

Looks like we were interested in Pittman afterall.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='539395' date='Sep 3 2007, 08:21 AM']Disagree. Schlegal will be activated for special teams, especially while Jeanty is out.
Looks like we were interested in Pittman afterall.[/quote]

x2

i also think it is possible that jones can help on special teams while kilmer is out

[quote name='bengalsfan850' post='539406' date='Sep 3 2007, 08:56 AM']x2

i also think it is possible that jones can help on special teams while kilmer is out[/quote]

its possible, but who do you not dress each week?

Kilmer, Jeanty, and Chatman are givens for now. Jeff Rowe will be the emergency QB. Which other 4 sit?

Also, IMO, I think we will see Chatman waived and replaced in the next week. He can't stay healthy, and the only reason he's still around (IMO) is because they thought McNeal and Brazell weren't the answer either.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='539409' date='Sep 3 2007, 08:03 AM']its possible, but who do you not dress each week?
Kilmer, Jeanty, and Chatman are givens for now. Jeff Rowe will be the emergency QB. Which other 4 sit?
Also, IMO, I think we will see Chatman waived and replaced in the next week. He can't stay healthy, and the only reason he's still around (IMO) is because they thought McNeal and Brazell weren't the answer either.[/quote]

this will change week to week depending on bumps, bruises, performance and matchups. Ex ----- Play aganist a team that will use 5 wide outs and go with the extra DB.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='539409' date='Sep 3 2007, 09:03 AM']its possible, but who do you not dress each week?
Also, IMO, I think we will see Chatman waived and replaced in the next week. He can't stay healthy, and the only reason he's still around (IMO) is because they thought McNeal and Brazell weren't the answer either.[/quote]

Depends if they think they can get a good veteran WR. The problem is, until Henry gets back, we have little experience behind Johnson and TJ. I don't think we are dropping him for a rookie. Plus, he could give us a boost as a slot reciever if he were to get healthy.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='539395' date='Sep 3 2007, 08:21 AM']Disagree. Schlegal will be activated for special teams, especially while Jeanty is out.
Looks like we were interested in Pittman afterall.[/quote]

I can't believe the only team worse than us who tried to pick him up was the Rams (who got him barely, according to the article).

[quote name='ccartman2' post='539426' date='Sep 3 2007, 10:02 AM']Depends if they think they can get a good veteran WR. The problem is, until Henry gets back, we have little experience behind Johnson and TJ. I don't think we are dropping him for a rookie. Plus, he could give us a boost as a slot reciever if he were to get healthy.[/quote]

Keenan McCardell is available. Granted, Houston cut him so there is probably something wrong with him, but I wouldn't be opposed to them giving him a look.

Detroit cut Cliff Russell, who has experience in our system and can return kicks.

Archived